Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Insurance in NJ w Vermont Registration

Hi all!

I recently bought a 2007 chevy express bus and decided to go with the Vermont registration route. I mailed in my application last week so still waiting to hear back. In the mean time I'm trying to get the bus insured in NJ as commercial policy for private use but no one will insure it for me here because it is going to be registered in Vermont.

Anyone run into this problem and can help? Can I register it in Vermont without a Vermont address? Do I have to transfer my Vermont registration & title to NJ when it comes?

handtowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You have to have insurance before you can register, don't mention registration when seeking insurance. Yes, you can register in Vt. without a Vt. address. Technically you should be registered where you reside. I'm registered in Vt. but insured by State Farm in Ga. State Farm doesn't care. The state did notify me that they saw a vehicle insured here but not registered, nothing came of it after the SF said ignore it. You can transfer Vt. papers to NJ if you want.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I've seen a lot of people talk about progressive's "commercial policy for private use" for insurance during the conversion. Does state farm have something like that?
handtowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtowel View Post
Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I've seen a lot of people talk about progressive's "commercial policy for private use" for insurance during the conversion. Does state farm have something like that?
Originally they said no, but I found later that they would, but the policy would have been over $800, I'm paying $4.11/m for liability. State Farm will insure it for the trip home at purchase for 7 days.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:08 AM   #5

Also from NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtowel View Post
So I have an agency that finds me the best coverage and the most competitive rates and they found me a Drive NJ policy through Progressive. $391 for the year and its not even converted yet. I told them I will not be driving this and only need comprehensive on it while building.
Also will be registering it in VT now that I have the insurance; I had the VT temp tag for the drive up from GA.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote