Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Insurance in Oregon

First of all, let me start by letting you guys know that I do not have a bus that I'm converting. I have a Chevy G30 Box Truck, but those conversions are more rare, and I figure if I can find a company that insures converted busses, they will probably insure my vehicle as well.

I've been looking all over in these forums, and have looked all over the internet, and I just can't seem to find any information on getting my vehicle insured. I thought it was going to be a simple phone call, but when I called Progressive yesterday, they said they only insure box trucks if they're for commercial purposes. I was super confused at that... and then I realized NO ONE insures box trucks if they're for personal use.

So, here are my questions:

1. What insurance companies have you guys gone through with little-to-no hassle? I called Progressive - they said no. I saw somewhere on this site that they used Farm and City, so I spoke with one of them, and they said they only insure it if it's for commercial use, or if it was professionally converted (I did the conversion myself), and they told me to call a company called Thum, and they said they are through Progressive, and don't insure box trucks that aren't for commercial use

2. Do I have to go to the DMV and have the title switched to show that it's an RV or motorhome or whatever else? And if so, do I need to do this before I get insurance? Or can I do it after I get insurance?

3. What are the requirements to have the DMV switch the title to an RV? Inside, I have a bunk bed that is screwed into the floor. I have a large computer desk which will be my "kitchen" area, I guess. I have a 5-day ice cooler, and a propane stove. I also have a 5 gallon portable toilet that is bungee'd to the wall, and a sofa chair. There is no power, because I haven't really figured out how to do that yet. There is no running water, and no "permanent" toilet or stove area

I just thought this was going to be so much easier, and now I'm so confused, and don't know what to do. I asked a similar question on Reddit, and someone directed me to you guys, so if anyone can help at all, it would be greatly appreciated. I've been on the internet for HOURS the last 2 days, and I just can't find anything.

One person suggested that I "start a moving company", and then insure it as a commercial vehicle, but when I looked into that more, there is a $300 application fee, and annual fees of $100-200, and I really don't want to pay any of that. There has to be an easier way

AaronTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Farm Bureau has been great to work with. Tell them it's an RV and the make and model.
8window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #3

Year: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8window View Post
Farm Bureau has been great to work with. Tell them it's an RV and the make and model.
Do you know if I have to have the DMV register it as an RV first on the title?
AaronTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTravels View Post
Do you know if I have to have the DMV register it as an RV first on the title?
I would guess so, but I don't know Oregon's requirements for what is an RV. You will have to find that out and if they actually will visually inspect it...
8window is offline   Reply With Quote