Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2023, 07:37 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
what was their main concern? Being partially converted or the roof raise?
You'll get the partially converted issue taken care of in time....

BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:58 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
must be the roof raise?
both of my buses have been through nationwide.
the big bus for 8-9 years and the shorty for 3 as bus for personal use.
this month nationwide notified me that they were dropping coverage but have found me a policy through national general to start in april and it was double the cost.
went to my local nationwide office that has dealt with me for over 20 years and she said to give her a few days to look into it.
yesterday she called and said that were not going to do national general because she found me a policy with progressive for the same price i was paying nationwide.
but all of that is no mention of partial conversion or converted just bus for personal use.
now this year NC wont give me permanent tags far the shorty until i have it inspected by the state patrol office to certify it as an RV.
but 8 years ago they didnt bat an eye on my big bus.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:02 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
If it's titled as a RV, Progressive will dump you as soon as they realize it's a converted school bus.
Progressive will cover a commercial veh. for private use though.....I think...
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:13 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
Progressive will cover a commercial veh. for private use though.....I think...
They still do. I have two vehicles with Commercial Vehicle for Private Use policies with Progressive, right now. One is my Crown bus, because it's not converted yet, and the other is my COE truck (which is not really any bigger than a large pick-up, but USAA said it's too big to insure as a regular truck...)
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:26 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

"get this, a side company of State Farm." In fact, State Farm insured me yesterday. Commercial with personal use policy until conversion is complete with permanent sleeping and cooking arrangements.
Spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:56 PM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
I have allstate and have been very up front about it being a converted school bus. three years No issues. knock on wood. But I haven't filed any claims as of yet.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:48 PM   #47

Insurance! :) Washington state!

My agent is amazing:

Billie Luedtke | Account Manager | State Farm

(360) 943-9565 (Office & Text)

billie@myolympiaagent.com

https://myolympiaagent.com
micradot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 08:01 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Does your policy have a mileage limit (say, 50 mile radius) on it? Our SF policy did, and we didn't notice it until we had made a few long trips with it.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #49

WA or ID Skoolie Insurance Agent

If you need RV insurance for your converted skoolie in Idaho or Washington, Rachel Knudson with Statefarm is your gal! She got in done for us in less than an hour. Wood stoves could be an issue, but if you donít have one then youíre definitely good!
BoneyardBums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:11 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneyardBums View Post
If you need RV insurance for your converted skoolie in Idaho or Washington, Rachel Knudson with Statefarm is your gal! She got in done for us in less than an hour. Wood stoves could be an issue, but if you donít have one then youíre definitely good!
Our state farm agent said "no wood stove" but then caved when we pushed on the issue. We really want a wood stove for burning (appropriate) trash and free fuel from fallen sticks and such. But we did decide to forego it for the initial build.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:37 PM   #51
Skoolie

Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
great topic!
so heres a good one for ya?
got state farm commercial for the conversion.
no problem only $26 a month.
finished conversion.
registered it in Oregon as a motorhome all good!
went back to my state farm office to change to RV insurance ( where i also have cars, motorcycles & houses )
she said the underwriter would not insure my bus because it does not have a stove, sink or toilet???
even though i was lucky enough to get it registered as a motorhome?
i registered it as a motorhome mainly for roadside assistance.
Coach.net was the only company that assured me assistance with a school bus conversion but it needed to be registered as a motorhome!

so now im on the hunt but in this topic i did see a question mentioned from the first post about having decks & smokestacks but what caught my attention was markings, lights & signage to resemble a school bus?

as you can see in my avatar that would be me LOL

it resembles a school bus but is not.
it says "cool bus " in the front & " old school " in the back.
all other markings have been removed.
its a nice clean yellow bus with the black stripes.
i removed the stop sign but all the bus lights remain and are in working condition.
i just added chrome simulators and she is beautiful!
nothing but compliments at all the campsites!

so is this gonna be a problem getting part time but full coverage ins?
did everything myself and am at $23k with all receipts & pics during mechanical maintenance & conversion.

i googled to see if i am legal in oregon but cant seem to find anything?
i like the bus look and dont wanna paint it.
i guess i will try calling national general and see if they can help me?
thanks for the help.
love this forum
Old 06-05-2023, 10:38 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

I would talk to the state farm agent. If they're insuring you for liability under commercial you should be able to ad comp and collision. Liability is the big risk for them with something as large as a skoolie.

If they won't do liability with comp and collision call up an insurance broker and let them search around for a decent policy.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 06-13-2023, 02:25 PM   #53

Insurance Agent in Massachusetts?

Anyone successful in getting insurance in Massachusetts for "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use"?

Progressive said they don't do that anymore. And I've called various agents and they say it's not available.
StateFarm doesn't operate in Massachusetts.
National General doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Note that my bus would not be used as an RV. I used to drive transit buses professionally and I miss it, so I would just drive around this bus for friends and family. The title is not an RV.

The bus is a 2001 Novabus RTS.

It's so frustrating because I have friends in MA that have successfully insured their buses through Progressive, but something must have changed in the last 5 years because now it seems impossible. I ask them and they say "I just called Progressive and they did it". So I need people with more recent information.

Any ideas or contacts I can reach out to would be great appreciated thanks!
RTSBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:31 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSBus View Post
Anyone successful in getting insurance in Massachusetts for "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use"?

Progressive said they don't do that anymore. And I've called various agents and they say it's not available.
StateFarm doesn't operate in Massachusetts.
National General doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Note that my bus would not be used as an RV. I used to drive transit buses professionally and I miss it, so I would just drive around this bus for friends and family. The title is not an RV.

The bus is a 2001 Novabus RTS.

It's so frustrating because I have friends in MA that have successfully insured their buses through Progressive, but something must have changed in the last 5 years because now it seems impossible. I ask them and they say "I just called Progressive and they did it". So I need people with more recent information.

Any ideas or contacts I can reach out to would be great appreciated thanks!
Did you speak to someone at progressive on the retail side or commercial side ?
Their is a difference !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:01 PM   #55

I talked to Progressive Commercial Side
RTSBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneyardBums View Post
Hi! I'm in WA and tying to find insurance before I pull the trigger on purchasing a bus. I've searched for the agent you mentioned and cannot find one by that name - I've been turned down by a few of the big companies, so I'm reaching out here for help. do you still have her contact info or a direct link to her office website?
thank you SO much!!!
Rideordye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 01:03 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I'm trying to hunt for insurance now. State farm told me originally they would insure it no problem based on the pictures as an RV.

They came back yesterday stating that they could not until "It is completed". This was not a require prior.

I don't have a roof raise "yet", so I never mentioned it, nor did they ever ask, but they seem wise to the fact that people are adding them after the fact because they want it fully completed. This is smart of them because they likely know you can't build it out until you do a roof raise, so they word it this way. There's no way I can complete a build and then do a roof raise.

In the pictures, I mocked it up a bit with a cabinet, couch, and bed, but they could still tell it wasn't completed due to the ceiling being torn down etc. It wasn't enough for them.

They couldn't even do a Commercial for personal use as a binding contract right then and there, and has to send it to underwriting. It's also double the cost of RV insurance if they can do it and is more than my car and truck insurance. $350 for 6 months, $700 a year for Liability. $1300 a year for Full Coverage for a year. RV Insurance was only going to be $500 annually for full coverage. So more than double.

The state of the insurance company right now is despicable in my opinion.

I Called Progressive Commercial because I already knew the Regular one wouldn't do it, and they wouldn't do it either.

I then got the idea to call a broker. This was Gold.

The broker only asked for the VIN, What vehicle type it was, I stated Bus converted to RV, Ask for my Date of Birth, drivers license number. The lady knew well what it was and that it was a skoolie as she called it by name. Called me back an hour later and said I got progressive to give you a binding contract right away. The Regular progressive.

I got full coverage for 1 year for $660, but that includes road side assistance and towing up to 15 miles, will bring me gas, change any tires I need changed should they pop, and basic engine servicing on the road, and will even replace a battery should it strand me.

She didn't care about Roof raise questions, Is it completed questions, would it have a deck or wood burning stove. No questions asked. I got a binding contract for 1 year. She said if they did come back and say they made a mistake they have to at least honor the 1 year, they could drop you after that, but not before as it's binding as of today.

I'm very disappointed with State Farm. And I've made a decision that if Progressive decides to keep my Skoolie insured after 1 year, I will switch all my vehicles over. It was easy, painless.

I suggest everyone find an insurance broker and go that route.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:48 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

And a large part of the reason the insurance industry is getting "so picky" with the skoolie market is things like.....

I don't have a roof raise YET so didn't say anything about one
I cant do a roof raise after i build it out

and of course all the folks that say:

We have a wood stove and didn't have any problems getting insurance. We just didn't tell them we had one.

We put our roof deck on after we got our insurance.

We didn't tell them we had a roof raise.

We didn't tell them our battery bank was homemade from cells we welded together ourselves.

And the list goes on..... and on..... and on......

When you don't tell the insurance company of a major item like a roof raise (changing the structure as well as the CG of the vehicle), roof deck, wood stove, home brewed battery banks, etc. you are 1) giving them an automatic reason for "claim denied" should you acquire insurance without disclosure of pertinent information, 2) making it harder for the entire community to get insurance, and more.

We would LOVE to have a small wood stove as we prefer avoiding RV Park(ing lot)s and so will usually have an abundance of small burnable debris for such a stove. But the insurance companies balk at them.... largely because so many are poorly (being generous) installed.
We originally wanted a deck but because so many people don't have proper railings on their decks (fold up safe railings aren't difficult) and instead often end up with toe catcher little things that will do little more than keep something from rolling off but no chance at all of keeping a human safe..... insurance companies aren't interested in taking the chance.

And lets not even start on the myriad other risk items in so many skoolies....
SOOOO many have no proper travel seating for anyone but the driver. That home made couch/bed that the wife or girlfriend sits on as you drive down the road scares the daylights out of insurance companies.
Refrigerators that aren't secured well enough to keep them stationary in a crash. Heck one "pro build shop" was securing full size fridges with a 400 pound capacity ratchet strap that was hooked to a couple of eye bolts. Even if the eye bolts could hold, that 400 pound strap wasn't going to hold the fridge in even a minor impact.

And let's not forget all those magnetic holders for kitchen knives and such mounted on a forward facing wall so that any frontal impact sends them flying forward towards the driver and passengers.
No, I'm not an insurance shill. I think insurance as it is today should be banned and all medical insurance should be banned. I'm just tired of hearing people bashing insurance companies in one breath and then in the very next describing how to "get one over" on them..... the very reason the problems are there.

And THAT is just my NOT humble opinion...
Marines don't do well with humble.
Old 06-16-2024, 02:42 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
And THAT is just my NOT humble opinion...
Marines don't do well with humble.
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Hope that humbles you up a bit!

ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:50 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Hope that humbles you up a bit!

LOL

Not a father.
At least not that I know of. My uncle didn't find out he had a Phillipina daughter until he was in his 70's.