Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

Insurance! SOLVED!!! Look

Hello, every one, I have a direct answer to insurance wowes! In a nut shell it’s National General.
Call: Napoleon A. (Yes, that’s his real name) A is for last name but I will leave out for internet reasons).
314-493-8422 (Missouri). This is his direct line, Mr. Napoleon is through Good Sam insurance company which is a side company of National General which is, get this, a side company of State Farm. Any how if you call national general and ask if the cover converted school buses they will put you on hold to transfer you to these guys. So, I just gave you the direct number.
A FEW THINGS TO NOTE. He was VERY adamant about not having a deck or smoke stack chimney, automatic no coverage. I was told, each to its own here I said no but I have solar panels mounted like a “deck.” He said that was fine. Also, he asked if there any markings including lights, signage to resemble a school bus. I said no (my rig is painted, all school stuff is deleted/removed any way). Next, they asked for pictures before it went to underwriting all four outsides and two pictures of the inside, front to rear rear to front-6- take note again each to it’s own 4 outside pictures and 2 inside.Total, he asked about electrical plumbing and water. Did not ask about propane/batteries. What I am getting at, pay attention what there asking and stop to clarify if needed. They also asked if I was full time or part time. They asked about purchase price and estimated total cost of the conversion. They also asked if there were any high dollar items, I thought about this. I did not further investigate this question in rewards to charge controllers, electrical components , tv’s etc.. Five minutes later quote was in my email. For my state (IN) 65$ (64.30$) for 12 months. Not bad, obviously you want more coverage I’m sure they will be happy to sell it to you. Also, I have a full 40’ rig and I asked would it matter if I pulled a tow dolly for a car or a tandem trailer, all I got out of it was quotes for the trailers. I’m going to say this with caution, pulling a trailer with a 40’ rig did not disqualify me. What I got from that part of the conversation was everything just had to be insured.
I hope this helps, great guy very knowledgeable and professional, yes this guy is a licensed insurance person. I hope this helps this was a major hurdle on my list. Any questions, just message me.

See yous guys down the road!

Skylark001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
thanks...where are you located? Does he cover the entire U.S. of A.?
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

Hello, I did not ask about per state coverage. But, it’s is safe to assume he was from Missouri and I am I Indiana. I think you’ll be fine. It would fair to say depending on where you live and your state requirements will reflect your overall policy.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
What about raised roofs?
Did you guys talk about that?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad that worked out for you. I do find it ironic that I just had to cancel my Good Sam roadside assistance because of their "no converted vehicles" stance...but they'll insure them. I've referred lots of people to National General and they advertise in the bus conversion magazine. I hope the Good Sam relationship doesn't impact National General's support of conversions.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #6

Hello, no I did not.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

Hello, no I did not. But, going on limb here, if they aren’t allowing decks or chimneys it might be safe to assume it might be a no. Two things, again each to his own 1: only respond to questions being asked 2: just ask the question? Either way, it would be helpful to know what they say if you do ask about insuring roof raises.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2021, 03:59 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
10 years ago when I *almost* pulled the trigger on a bus purchase, National General is who had me underwritten in a day so I'd be legal when I drove it off the lot. Now mine was commercial vehicle for private use insurance because it was legally still a school bus on day one but nevertheless they had what I needed. Ultimately didn't buy the bus and got a full refund on the coverage so I've still always referred to them.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Going to have to give this man a call today. I had Allstate last year but I cancelled it becasue i just needed it for a few months. Had a new policy re written last month. I went through allstate but ended up with a policy through geico. Last week GEICO sent me a cancelation letter. SO its back on the hunt.

Ill try this guy before I give Kelly a call again. I do have a roof raise so, ill report back with my experience.
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #10

Great info!
Kirk Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84
You mention they asked about full vs part time -

Did they say they covered full-timers?

We are still pre-conversion, and had a good experience with Good Sam/NG (similar to yours), but the policy would only cover part timers, not full time.

Did you receive any insight on this during your call?
tomrasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Never any need to tell anyone official you are full-timing.

Always maintain your legal domicile in the databases, "garaged" address for the pencil pushers,

you're just on a nice sabbatical, visiting family and friends, occasionally rent a place for a while if it's a nice spot.

You get back home, oh every once in a while, certainly don't actual **live** in the thing more than a few minths at a time!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #13

Hello, yes there were quite a lot of questions he did ask. A few about if this is for a business and what it’s “primary” use is for. Also, from what I can gather is if you “use” it no more than “6 months” and have a “permanent” address, I’ll think you be fine. Now, what defines a permanent address, we’ll…I plan on doing long week or so vacations here and there so I’ll be fine. Hope this helps.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84
Good input - thanks

When I pushed my Good Sam rep on where they draw the line between full/part time, she said that as long as you have a permanent physical address (i.e., not a forwarding service etc), they would consider you part-time.
tomrasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward School Buses
Chassis: 35' dog nose with handicap access at rear
Engine: International 466
Rated Cap: 36 & handicap lift
Thank you Skylark!

Thank you Skylark! I just joined Skoolie.net forums today and if this works out with Napoleon/Good Sam, you will have already saved us a lot of headaches and money. So appreciate you sharing this. Great to be part of the Skoolie family.😊
WomackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #16

No problem, make sure you read the reply’s to this thread. I don’t know what you plan on doing with your bus (full time/part time), the previous reply informed us of of there requirements in regards to what is “full time/part time .” As noted previous just be mindful of what you say.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward School Buses
Chassis: 35' dog nose with handicap access at rear
Engine: International 466
Rated Cap: 36 & handicap lift
Definitely part time use.... thanks so much! �� Really appreciate your help.
WomackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #18

Hello, for you Hoosiers (Indiana) people converting a bus:

To change your title from bus to RV:

Fill out and complete form: Report of body change- state form 39771- a police signature is required (also acts as to vin verification) no fee to be paid for this/police to your residence (I live in Indianapolis, so double check for you rural folks)
Then you need pictures of bathroom/kitchen/living quarters/shower - color/ full size 8”x11”- CLEAR no blur/sketchy they do look at them.
All paper work title/lean/etc.. from who you bought it from
-IF THERE IS WHITE OUT ON ANY DOCUMENTS THEY WILL REJECT IT!!—
- if you are changing the title from bus to rv there is a 15$ dollar fee (new tittle).
They did ask for insurance, but not policy#, again each to it’s own on this one.
All said and done 170$.
(Might be less because I didn’t transfer my title with in 30days, extra 30$ delinquent title fee)

Again this is for Indiana. Obviously every state has its own rules, paper work., etc. I would strongly call ahead to your BMV site, it took three people to figure it out. They were all top notch employees, they just don’t deal with this type of stuff to often, it is not state issue, your branch handles it and sends it to the state. But they got it figured out and I’m good to go.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrasdf View Post
where they draw the line between full/part time, she said that as long as you have a permanent physical address (i.e., not a forwarding service etc), they would consider you part-time.
AKA legal domicile address, can be completely separate from your letterbox forwarding service.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/a-place-for-my-head-a-place-for-my-mail-and-a-place-for-my-bus-33738.html#post413912
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #20

Hello All,

My primary residence is in MA. I got my 2006 chevy skoolie registered in VT. I'm having a tough time getting insurance. Ive tried kelly Newsome but she can only insure it in the state that it is registered in. Does anyone know any company that will give me insurance in MA with a VT reg?
ojpcali87 is offline   Reply With Quote