Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Rated Cap: 27
Insurance success!

Won the auction for my short bus last week and have been in an increasing panic all week trying to get it covered before I pick it up tomorrow. Some places were polite, but not helpful, while others were downright rude.

The details:
I got a commercial policy for private use through a Progressive *agent* (you can NOT get any kind of school bus - pre, during, or post conversion - insured yourself through Progressive Direct online). It's liability only and it costs $800 per year (and that's after a $200 discount for multi-policy and paid up front).

A difference agent had quoted a similar policy at $2,100, but he was listing it as "transportation, not for hire" since it's a bus. The final deal I got categorized the policy as "personal - carpentry" since I said I needed the vehicle to haul lumber from the store to my house (not a lie).

Others have said it here, but I 1) didn't believe it and 2) felt sketchy about doing it, but NEVER SAY YOU HAVE A SCHOOL BUS. I simply said I needed to insure a commercial vehicle for personal use and gave the VIN number. It probably helps that I bought a shortie which was built on a Chevy cargo van chassis, so the VIN didn't come back as "bus" (technically, the VIN didn't come back as anything, so I might get denied next week, but that's a problem for future me).

Now my focus is to get the seats out and paint it white so that I can register & insure it as an RV for hopefully much less money.

bfuller181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuller181 View Post
Won the auction for my short bus last week and have been in an increasing panic all week trying to get it covered before I pick it up tomorrow. Some places were polite, but not helpful, while others were downright rude.

The details:
I got a commercial policy for private use through a Progressive *agent* (you can NOT get any kind of school bus - pre, during, or post conversion - insured yourself through Progressive Direct online). It's liability only and it costs $800 per year (and that's after a $200 discount for multi-policy and paid up front).

A difference agent had quoted a similar policy at $2,100, but he was listing it as "transportation, not for hire" since it's a bus. The final deal I got categorized the policy as "personal - carpentry" since I said I needed the vehicle to haul lumber from the store to my house (not a lie).

Others have said it here, but I 1) didn't believe it and 2) felt sketchy about doing it, but NEVER SAY YOU HAVE A SCHOOL BUS. I simply said I needed to insure a commercial vehicle for personal use and gave the VIN number. It probably helps that I bought a shortie which was built on a Chevy cargo van chassis, so the VIN didn't come back as "bus" (technically, the VIN didn't come back as anything, so I might get denied next week, but that's a problem for future me).

Now my focus is to get the seats out and paint it white so that I can register & insure it as an RV for hopefully much less money.
Careful. If you change the title before you convert it, progressive will drop you, if they find out. No one I could find would insure a pre or on going conversion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Careful. If you change the title before you convert it, progressive will drop you, if they find out. No one I could find would insure a pre or on going conversion.
AIS (essentially National General) said they would cover during conversion as soon as the seats are out and it's painted not-yellow (would need to take pictures to verify). Post-conversion would need to show evidence of things like bed, stove, water, power, etc.

Either way, I'm not changing the title until everything is done at which point I'd be dropping the Progressive policy anyway.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Hmm. I called them and they said they would only cover me after the conversion and I would need pictures. What state are you in?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

NY, but I don't think I ever gave that info to them. Other RV insurance places told me the same thing - no insurance while it's a bus, insurance options once the seats are removed, better insurance options once it's registered & titled as an RV.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Well thank you. I have hope.lol.
I still plan on doing the whole conversion before I start to think about changing insurance companies

Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Disclaimer: I'm in Indiana.

I went online to Progressive Commercial to look for a policy and they quoted me about $630/yr for a policy very much like the policies I have on my cars (100/300/100, etc.). In fact Progressive Commercial didn't discount it very much for basic coverage (25/50/25, etc. - about $560/yr). Be aware, there was two or three places where I selected "for private use" during the Q&A session!

Once I take possession of the bus (I'm having it delivered - really long story), purchase the policy, and receive all the materials, I'll post a quick writeup of what I did.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post

I went online to Progressive Commercial to look for a policy and they quoted me about $630/yr for a policy very much like the policies I have on my cars (100/300/100, etc.). In fact Progressive Commercial didn't discount it very much for basic coverage (25/50/25, etc. - about $560/yr). Be aware, there was two or three places where I selected "for private use" during the Q&A session!

Once I take possession of the bus (I'm having it delivered - really long story), purchase the policy, and receive all the materials, I'll post a quick writeup of what I did.
Very similar to my insurance in Massachusetts. They even asked if it was converted, semi-converted, or stock. I fibbed a little and told her the seats were all out already, it saved me $20.00 lol

Old 04-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

That's so strange because when I called Progressive Commercial they told me no flat-out as soon as I uttered the words "school bus."
Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuller181 View Post
That's so strange because when I called Progressive Commercial they told me no flat-out as soon as I uttered the words "school bus."
All I can suggest is going through their online portal and see if they will quote a policy that way. If you can wait a day or two I'll put up some instructions.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
every state is different... progressive you always have to call to actually purchase the policy... when i did both my busses.. (by the way one has a Motorhome title, the other is original Bus title).. they showed them as "International 380".. never asked any more.. but she knew it was a Bus.. in my case both of my busses still have some seats.. the only thing she asked was "is it a bus staying a bus?" of course i answered trithfully YES.. since really they both are Busses..

that was a year ago, i got my renewal already and sent it in so they didnt cancel me..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Interesting that AIS has a dedicated bus conversion page. Although they're pretty negative about school bus conversions specifically...

"With underwriting guidelines being tightened to keep losses in check, insurance companies are avoiding certain types of risk. One of the most well-known risks that most specialty RV insurance providers avoid is the school bus conversion. Very few insurance companies will insure this type of vehicle. The main reason cited for this is the axle of a school bus is generally a narrower axle than that of a regular bus. Thus, when the additional weight of the conversion is added, it can result in a top-heavy vehicle, which is more susceptible to rollover accidents. Historically, more serious accidents have occurred to school bus conversions as compared to regular bus conversions-enough that many companies are no longer willing to accept this risk."

Translation: we may be able to help you, but get ready to pay $$$$$$$$$$$

link: https://www.aisinsurance.com/product...ersion.aspx#t3
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

Not trying to be a downer but don't be surprised if you get a cancellation letter in a couple weeks if you did it all online. Hopefully not, but that's been the collective experience.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well we'd all better start getting coaches then, so we're that extra 3" wider that makes us safe and keeps us from a flippin over like a tubleweed.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

But they will insure this without blinking...
Because it has such a wide wheel base

Old 06-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #16

Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: 2004 GMC Savana
Engine: 6 liter, 8 cylinder Vortec
Quote:
All I can suggest is going through their online portal and see if they will quote a policy that way. If you can wait a day or two I'll put up some instructions.
Would you still be willing to post instructions? Assuming this has all worked out for you?

Thanks, Bill
stcyrwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcyrwm View Post
Would you still be willing to post instructions? Assuming this has all worked out for you?

Thanks, Bill

Wow, that was a year ago for me now.... It did work out for me - well Progressive Commercial hasn't canceled me yet. However, at my one-year renewal they dropped the amounts down, but also dropped the amount I was paying. I've wondered if they accepted me because my bus had already been insured by them (the seller I got the bus from had it insured through them).

I'll make a note and see what I can do this weekend.....
Old 06-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #18

Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: 2004 GMC Savana
Engine: 6 liter, 8 cylinder Vortec
Thanks that would be awesome. I have been turned down twice already, sigh...
stcyrwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
y'all gettin me nervous

I wonder how it is all going to go? I mean 1954 ford..... title does say "bus"

last registered in 1971.......

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
Skoolie

Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
Might try somebody like Hagerty, that does classic and restored cars. It would qualify by age. My $.02