Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I checked with my brother, Church accountant on insurance rates.

Said they don't pay the insurance, Diocese has umbrella policy.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
of course comparing insurance on here is a really tough thing to do as insurance rates and coverages vaery by zip code and of course state. but my insurance companies.. state farm, and progressive both say that zip code to zip code even within a city can change rates a huge amount.. and the important thing is Garaged address,

my agent tells me garaged address is a major rate calculator.. which is interesting as id only think it would affect Comp.. so if your bus is stored somewhere else other than your house, you may want to check the rates for insuring it in that "garaged" address..

rates are ultimately affected by ROI.. high rates of claims against certain demographics and locations..

insurance is wierd.. since it seems ot be allowed to skirt the discimination laws that other businesses must follow.. ie insurance can charge different rates for age and sex? but its illegal to alter prices like that if you own a store selling off the shelf products..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
of course comparing insurance on here is a really tough thing to do as insurance rates and coverages vaery by zip code and of course state. but my insurance companies.. state farm, and progressive both say that zip code to zip code even within a city can change rates a huge amount.. and the important thing is Garaged address,

my agent tells me garaged address is a major rate calculator.. which is interesting as id only think it would affect Comp.. so if your bus is stored somewhere else other than your house, you may want to check the rates for insuring it in that "garaged" address..

rates are ultimately affected by ROI.. high rates of claims against certain demographics and locations..

insurance is wierd.. since it seems ot be allowed to skirt the discimination laws that other businesses must follow.. ie insurance can charge different rates for age and sex? but its illegal to alter prices like that if you own a store selling off the shelf products..

-Christopher
... because it's about "risk pools", not individuals. That's how they get away with it. They don't, for example, get away with putting black people in a higher risk pool than white, they have to use other factors. It's borderline but under current law, allowable.

They do charge women more than they charge men. The headline rates appear lower, but as a demographic, women don't drive as many miles. So by miles driven, female rates are quite a bit higher. Their accident stats vary too. Women, as a group, have more low-speed, low cost accidents. Men have more high-speed, high cost claims.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
and even things like "sports car in coastal area of florida".. a sports car is the most likely vehicle left behind if a hurricane comes along.. as is an RV.. (interest as id have thought the family would pack the RV up with as much as they can.. but they dont.. many leave the RV behind and take say 2 family cars..)... but havign the "garaged address" 2 miles away from the coast line reduces the rate for said car as its much less likely to be damaged even if the family evacuates the beach home..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
In Montana you're limited to 10 including the driver. At 11, you have to get an "S" endorsement on your class d license. Over 26,000 pounds, you need a class "B" license. Not sure right now if a B in offer non-commercial.

The license isn't the problem, insurance is. If I was a business or a farmer, no problem. Regular Joe, no ,no, no.
Got a Class D license. Had to sign an affadavit when I turned in my Class A CDL. Brunhilde has a GVW of 36K, but I have a plain ol' license plate on her.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: Dt-466
Rated Cap: 78
I gave up my CDL three years ago. I have a class D now. Supposedly, we Montanians are only allowed a gross weight of 26,000 pounds with a class D license. Looks like I will be moving to Florida when I retire. No income tax and no weight limit on rv's.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
No income tax for me - SSDI.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
I gave up my CDL three years ago. I have a class D now. Supposedly, we Montanians are only allowed a gross weight of 26,000 pounds with a class D license. Looks like I will be moving to Florida when I retire. No income tax and no weight limit on rv's.
it's possible you may need another class on your license, but you do not need a CDL. Not even in Montana.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote