Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #1

Insure as what?

Hey i have been wanting a school bus and i am worried about getting it insured. It seems like all of you guys get yours insured as RVs but i dont really want an RV. I think if i got a bus i would take most of the seats out and put in a couch and maybe a refridgerator. I planned on using it to haul dirt bikes out in the country, throwing a sleeping bag in the back and go camping in it, and to be a party bus where i have like 10 people hanging out in the back. So what will i insure this as? I dont think a refridgerator and a sleeping bag are good enough to insure as an RV and thats not really all i want to use it for. Im under 18 so i cant get a CDL so im planning on a bus under 26000 pounds: somthing a little longer than a short bus, basically the most bus i can thats under the weight limit. I was going to have a family member cosign so i could get a loan but they wanted me to make sure i could get it insured for a reasonable rate first. So what do you think about insurance?

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Insure as what?

Can you just get gross weight tax base plates? These would be like the same plates you would find on say a dually 1 ton truck, small dumps, cube vans, etc. They are available in Minnesota and would fit what you plan to do as far as registration.

When it comes to insurance you're on your own, but you might want to just try insuring it as a Ford B700 or IH S1700 or whatever the chassis may be.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Speaking of...my apologies, ShortBus, but they were out of that form at the DMV so I can't get you the exact Minnesota requirements for RV plates. I will try again later this week.

On the CDL thing (which you did a pretty fine job of)

CDL time:
seating for16 people including driver (15 is actually legal)
over 26,000 lbs
under 26,000 lbs tow vehicle, but with a trailer over 10,000 lbs that causes the combination weight to exceed 26,000 lbs
air brakes without RV plates...check about if you need it under 26,000

Something worth noting is that most of our fullsize buses have a GVWR of over 26,000 lbs. My 66 passenger bus has a 30,000 lbs GVWR. If I registered it just as a box van (very few seats) I would need to do so as 26,000 lbs or less to avoid CDL requirements. Obviously I would need to weigh less than that amount as well. In every state I know of you can change the GVWR of the vehicle. The DOT is going to look to make sure the tires are of adequate capacity, you are not exceeding axle weight limits, and you are not exceeding your tagged weight from a tax basis.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #4

Hey i havent heard of base plates before, i live in Kansas. And sorry about making three threads, im having problems with my internet and i didnt think it posted so i kept trying. Once i found out i made 3 i deleted the extra 2. I dont think i will get a bus if it will be super expensive on insurance, i was planning on getting a bus around for around 3000 dollars.

Edit: Also, if i get it retitled as a truck or an RV is it difficult to change back to a bus? If it is difficult wont it affect the resale value?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Almost There

im registeredas a camper. in CT there is no inspection. insurance is $250 a year through an assigned risk program, get a broker cause they are free and work hard for you. the bus is a 66 passenger btw, also when i went to register all they wanted to know was the actual weight, not the weight rating.
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote