Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #1

Insurers in Arizona

I'm not having any luck finding insurance in Arizona for my under construction skoolie. Im an older driver with a perfect record looking to get coverage as a bus until the conversion is complete and a new RV title can be issued. If you're an Arizona bus owner and have a source for insurance, please contact me.

magalahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Can you get a licensed vehicle appraiser to come and look at it and give you the required paperwork to retitle it as a motorhome. After, of course, you put an air mattress, a sink, a dry toilet and a Coleman stove. And throw some money at him. Then after it is registered as an RV you should be able to get liability insurance on it with a phone call and no inspection. Thats how we did it in CA.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Where in Arizona are you? We're up North, near Flagstaff, and I'm happy to chat about options we've found. Feel free to send me a message and I'll give you my cell number.

The short summary is, like RivetBoy said, registering it as an RV/MH is your best bet. We've used Progressive (for a "commercial vehicle for personal use") policy while the bus was still a bus, but that's more expensive than RV or motorhome insurance. We also used The Hartford for that in the past, but then they quit issuing those.

For a converted bus, we've used Progressive and National General and Farm Bureau at one time or the other. I understand that Allstate will also issue for those, but we're pretty happy with Farm Bureau for now so I haven't looked into Allstate myself.

Your conversion doesn't have to be fancy, you just need some of the items on the Arizona MVD list. For our first one, I used double-stick tape to adhere a Coleman stove to a counter for the "cooking" option. Then when we got it home, we ripped it off and moved on with the real conversion. Now, we've gotten all fancy and have a motorhome conversion module that we carry inside the bus, screw down, and drive to the inspection place. We have had really good luck with the third-party MVD offices in AZ.

If you're close enough to Flagstaff, we could probably help you with this...but it's easy to do yourself. Once you have a MH title, you're golden.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Sorry to post back to back...but the quick reply wouldn't let me post a screenshot. Here's what required in AZ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.11.08 PM.png
Views:	21
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	53895
Old 02-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I'm literally going through my insurance process now.

As mentioned in an earlier post, commercial for personal use is pretty available. I got mine through progressive. It's pricey compared to RV insurance. You might want to ask about your agents willingness / ability to switch from driving to non-driving coverage if you will have times when you're not driving the bus during construction.

State Farm appears to be much more skoolie friendly. Another guy in WA turned me onto State Farm. I was totally up front with the agent. His new business gal has been tremendous.

While I'm still working with my current agent (not state farm) and state farm to get their quotes as apples to apples as possible, I'll tell you this. State Farm is currently $500 lower in my home insurance and over $500 lower in RV (skoolie) insurance. The difference will be less once they up the coverage to match my current insurance. Yet, I'm thinking by switching from my current to State Farm, I might save over $800 a year!

If you call a state farm agent, tell them you know they insure buses that qualify as RVs because there are all sorts of people on online forums that are insured by state farm. This seemed to help in my case. Also, tell them all you've done. I told them about my bed, composting toilet, kitchen, etc.. I sent them pictures of my propane tank, kitchen counter, cook top, sink, plumbing, gas pipe manifold, water and electrical inlets, etc. That was all they needed. Never asked for pictures of the bed or toilet.

They will want a value. I sent them my appraisal, receipts for upgraded rear end, estimated costs of all my construction materials, appliances, operations (plumbing, electrical, etc.), and of course my time (which would add up if you had someone else do all the work) to come up with a 15k - 20k value. Some other owners say they are covered for 35k.

As soon as my quotes are fairly comparable, I'll simply pick one and badda boom badda bing, I'm insured!

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #6

Thank you all so much for the information. Im gonna get on this and make it happen!
magalahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
Traveling

I bought my bus out of state (missouri), it is already titled as a motorhome, but I have no legal residence anywhere, and am trying to become an az resident, to include insurance etc. My bus is pretty much as built as I care to have it, and it does include 4 of the things on the list above, but I don't have any kind of address to list as "where the vehicle is garaged". Anybody have ideas on where to go from here?

Sorry to revive such a dead post, but it felt relevant
Ir5m4r7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:39 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: 7.3
Get a PO box out of Arizona I believe you can do it online but don't quote me on that.
Call farm bureau insurance they will insure it as long as it's titled as an RV motorhome.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:50 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
Get a PO box out of Arizona I believe you can do it online but don't quote me on that.
Call farm bureau insurance they will insure it as long as it's titled as an RV motorhome.
Arizona MVD will let you use a PO box for a mailing address, but you have to show proof of a physical address for residency.

Farm Bureau will insure a bus even if it's titled as a bus. I've never even had them ask...I just provide the VIN and they give me a quote. I've insured both titled buses and motorhomes with them and am using them right now. They do require, just FYI, that you also have a "regular" vehicle (like a car) insured with them as well as your bus/motorhome...at least that's what my two agents have told me.

Hopefully, after almost 3 years, the author has his/her insurance sorted out.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:58 PM   #10

Year: 2003
Engine: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Sorry to post back to back...but the quick reply wouldn't let me post a screenshot. Here's what required in AZ.

Attachment 53895

Are there any listings for the inspectors or are mobile inspectors a thing? It's kind of a chicken or the egg situation for us where we want to get it reclassified as a motorhome but can't get insured to drive it to the inspection place?
megchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:47 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by megchard View Post
Are there any listings for the inspectors or are mobile inspectors a thing? It's kind of a chicken or the egg situation for us where we want to get it reclassified as a motorhome but can't get insured to drive it to the inspection place?
I'm sorry I couldn't tell you that mine had gone through inspection prior to my purchase
Old 01-30-2024, 11:49 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by megchard View Post
You could always get it insured as a passenger vehicle or a van long enough to get the process started for inspection The only benefit really to having it insured as a motorhome is the insurance is a lot cheaper and it having forbid if there was over a fire or is totaled then you could recoup your investment as long as you have the receipts or proof of what was in the vehicle
Old 02-17-2024, 03:40 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE200
Engine: 7.3 Navistar T444e Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Arizona MVD will let you use a PO box for a mailing address, but you have to show proof of a physical address for residency.

Farm Bureau will insure a bus even if it's titled as a bus. I've never even had them ask...I just provide the VIN and they give me a quote. I've insured both titled buses and motorhomes with them and am using them right now. They do require, just FYI, that you also have a "regular" vehicle (like a car) insured with them as well as your bus/motorhome...at least that's what my two agents have told me.

Hopefully, after almost 3 years, the author has his/her insurance sorted out.
I might need to get your agents info!
I have a line for a quote from Farm Bureau, but it's been a couple days since I heard back from the agent I went through. I got until the end of the month (12 days) to lock in a policy before I have to move the bus.
rockinmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 02:13 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Jim Dipoma
(623) 289-6430
Jim.Dipoma@fbfs.com
Jim Dipoma's Website
SEND MESSAGE REQUEST QUOTE
Customer Service Privacy & Security Terms & Conditions Broker Check Global