Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
It varies state to state, hell even county to county in some states. For us in Pennsylvania, we were able to get insured as an RV through Statefarm through a local agent. In PA, we were required to have the bus titled as an RV before we could insure it as one.

The best advice for the larger mainstream insurance companies was to go through local insurance agencies. Statefarm told us no when we called the generic main 800 number, but a local agent was able to discuss the project directly with underwriters of Statefarm to get us a tentative yes pending their review of our build

Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Handy
Engine: Cummins 24 valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 27 handicap
We are in florida and Allstate gave us a 1 year special vehicle liability only policy for $265. That was so we could get her home and have insurance while doing conversion. After which we were able to apply to dmv to have classification changed from commercial to motor home and the Allstate agent said we can get a regular rv policy with full coverage based on cost of conversion as a vehicle value.
We are still in 1st year and although the build is not done, we are far enough that the title change to motor home is complete. By the time the current policy expires, we should be done and have values to buy regular rv insurance.

Blue days are gone, nothing but Blue Skies from now on...
Ms Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats all insurance companies these days is rough to file claims!.

also remember insurance is by state when it comes to regulations and by zip code when it comes to risk.. as well as the prmary driver's record..

progressive has told me they wont insure a converted school bus.. however they have 1 of my unconverted busses insured and have for several years..

just because someone gets turned down by a company doesnt mean thats a blanket answer...

for instance, state farm has some members here insured for either their unconverted or after conversion.. yet they wont insure me for either.. stating they dont insure commercial vehicles for private use. (at least thats here in ohio).. ive had state farm for 25 years for either renters or homeonwers and all my non-bus vehicles and made very few claims.. they just dont underwrite bus policies like we need here.. but other places they do...
What a given carrier offers does vary by state. BUT..... I talked to my State Farm agent and she told me that you may simply be running into agents that are not familiar with insuring skoolies and found it easier to say no than to get educated.

A gent from this board was told the same thing by a State Farm agent in the Seattle area. He was able to get it insured with my agent. They did require that he move his other insurance to State Farm before they would insure his bus.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote