Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Is insurance difficult because it is a conversion, a bus, or as school bus?

Just wondering if what the bus started off life as matters?

For example is it easier to insure a converted bloodmobile, mobile vet, or other non-school bus than a school bus?

Or is the fact that is it is a non-professional conversion that makes it difficult?

When doing some research on Thomas buses I noticed that the 6th digit of the VIN is the "type & headroom", of which there are two options that are "non-school". That got me thinking would those types of buses be more readily insured, or able to be insured with more providers?

WhatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It's easy to insure a bus. The price is the deal breaker. Commercial is almost always more expensive, which is why we convert to RV for insurance purposes. Some will insure it as a bus, some won't, but will after conversion. Seldom here of getting turned down for insurance due to non professional conversion.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Progressive refuses to insure if it was used to transport children. I think that’s what they said. It left me assuming other buses were acceptable.

Most insurers start to run before you get the word “conversion” out of your mouth.

You’re on the right track. I made a lot of calls before I bought a bus.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Progressive refuses to insure if it was used to transport children. I think that’s what they said. It left me assuming other buses were acceptable.

Most insurers start to run before you get the word “conversion” out of your mouth.

Progressive won't insure the conversion of a bus, but would insure the bus. Progressive insured me during the build for $171 for the year, but would not insure it as an RV. I'm beginning to hate Progressive. They don't pay their claims. I'm suing them now for an accident that I had video evidence that clearly shows their ticketed client at fault. They are making all kinds of excuses that will never fly in court.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats all insurance companies these days is rough to file claims!.

also remember insurance is by state when it comes to regulations and by zip code when it comes to risk.. as well as the prmary driver's record..

progressive has told me they wont insure a converted school bus.. however they have 1 of my unconverted busses insured and have for several years..

just because someone gets turned down by a company doesnt mean thats a blanket answer...

for instance, state farm has some members here insured for either their unconverted or after conversion.. yet they wont insure me for either.. stating they dont insure commercial vehicles for private use. (at least thats here in ohio).. ive had state farm for 25 years for either renters or homeonwers and all my non-bus vehicles and made very few claims.. they just dont underwrite bus policies like we need here.. but other places they do...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

also remember insurance is by state when it comes to regulations and by zip code when it comes to risk.. as well as the prmary driver's record..

progressive has told me they wont insure a converted school bus.. however they have 1 of my unconverted busses insured and have for several years..

just because someone gets turned down by a company doesnt mean thats a blanket answer...

for instance, state farm has some members here insured for either their unconverted or after conversion.. yet they wont insure me for either.. stating they dont insure commercial vehicles for private use. (at least thats here in ohio).. ive had state farm for 25 years for either renters or homeonwers and all my non-bus vehicles and made very few claims.. they just dont underwrite bus policies like we need here.. but other places they do...
State Farm will only insure completed conversions of school buses, that's why they won't cover yours. It surprises me Progressive is fighting me. Their client got the ticket, I have video evidence clearly showing her at fault. At first I was ticketed, but after viewing the video the officer took my ticket to his superiors, who said she was clearly at fault. It then went to the DA who thanked me for the accurate video showing her clearly at fault. Progressive, without any evidence is holding me 40% liable for "my excessive speed", of which there is no evidence. I small claims sued the driver, she failed to answer. I could have gotten a default judgement. Attorney says I'll never see a dime if I accept default, so file for a trial. I did that an hour ago and have a Sept.30 court date.That was quick. Lets see if Progressive settles now that there's a court date set.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Boy the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I filed the trial paperwork at 2:10pm. Immediately sent it to Progressive. Just checked the emails and they replied 1 hour and 13 minutes later.

"Thank you for the additional information. I would like to address the case with you directly. I can concede to the estimate ($3335.17) and can reimburse the court cost ($106). However the estimated rental per your amended complaint seems extremely high. I can offer an additional $250 for rental which would make the total payment to you $3691.17. Please confirm acceptance and I will have everything sent promptly. Thank you again for your speedy response."
Old 09-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Sorry you went through this Marc. Gotta say, these insurance companies don’t make it easy unless you put them in the corner where they belong sometimes. You should add some duress fees for them getting you to this position!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Ive gone through this before.. they will try and plead and beg with low ball offers.. dont take the first one they give you..

it sucks to be in that position... an insured driver at fault and you cant get a dime without a fight... its BS!! but stick to your guns!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It's easy to insure a bus. The price is the deal breaker. Commercial is almost always more expensive, which is why we convert to RV for insurance purposes. Some will insure it as a bus, some won't, but will after conversion. Seldom here of getting turned down for insurance due to non professional conversion.
Rereading my original post I see I was unclear. In my head I was thinking RV insurance, not commercial vehicle insurance, when I simply stated "insurance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post

Thank you for that little bit of information for Progressive. That is more along the lines of the question I meant to ask.

Is it easier to insure a conversion as an RV or would more companies be willing to insure it if you could say "I would like to purchase insurance for my RV VIN number *NOT A SCHOOL BUS*." as opposed to when the VIN or truth indicates a school bus.

It seems like it could be in some locations.

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get a general picture of the insurance landscape.
WhatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #11

Year: 2002
Chassis: Chevy express 3500
Engine: 6.5 l v8 turbo disel
What did you tell the insurance company to get $171 a year? I just got a qoute from progressive and they said $435 for my 2002 shorty (liability only)
Goooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooba View Post
What did you tell the insurance company to get $171 a year? I just got a qoute from progressive and they said $435 for my 2002 shorty (liability only)
I was going to get on a monthly payment plan for the year. When he said the total was just $171 I paid in full. Not that it mattered but had I paid on a monthly , they would have canceled me after 4-5 months when they decided to stop insuring skoolies. Anyone on a monthly got cancel, and those who paid in full were just not renewed. Why it was that low I have no idea, but I certainly wasn't going to question it. Ultimately it was $171 wasted as the bus didn't leave the property that year.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #13
Bus Geek

remember insurance is by zip code and also the primary driver.... what costs $171 in one zip code may be 3 times that in another...
Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
remember insurance is by zip code and also the primary driver.... what costs $171 in one zip code may be 3 times that in another...
Yeah, the$434 was for six months (forgot to mention that part) so I was definitely starting to think I must have said something to make them jack that price up!! Made one last call to national general though and they were great and got and I got ayear's worth of insurance for $650 while I convert it
Old 09-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, the$434 was for six months (forgot to mention that part) so I was definitely starting to think I must have said something to make them jack that price up!! Made one last call to national general though and they were great and got and I got ayear's worth of insurance for $650 while I convert it
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with your location and bus info. Helps quite a bit in addressing your concerns.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I have National general and pay $384 a year while it gets converted. I guess different places have different rates.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with your location and bus info. Helps quite a bit in addressing your concerns.

Done, thanks! Colorado does tend to be expensive on everything so I guess I just have to suck it up. Glad I at least got it down a bit, the every first quote I got was for over $1000 a year!!
Old 09-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Done, thanks! Colorado does tend to be expensive on everything so I guess I just have to suck it up. Glad I at least got it down a bit, the every first quote I got was for over $1000 a year!!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:29 PM   #19
Bus Geek

The issue is the conversion into an RV of a vehicle that is not an RV to start with.

The whole insurance business is based on them having millions of previous examples in order for actuaries to be able to make accurate predictions of the odds.

This is such a tiny niche, so many variables, so few examples, hardly worth the bother.

But by finding an experienced and sympathetic **agent** in your state, their judgment being trusted by the internal actuators

is more than half the battle.

Nothing to do with the answers you get as a consumer calling into the telecenter.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:38 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Might be your zip code. I belive we are paying progressive 229 yearly for our 40 foot re amtrans. Commercial for private use. In 88030 zip. I know it was twice that in Pa.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote