Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

just bought at auction. need insurance to drive home.

Hi all-

I just purchased a school bus at auction and need to drive it across country from Oklahoma to California where I am a resident. For now I just need insurance to get it home and while doing conversion. Any suggestions? My provider, Farmers Insurance, can't figure it out...

wencington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Also can't seem to find any roadside assistance for the bus until it is titled as RV...

I called, AAA, Coach net, and Good Sam.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger, 29000lb
Get a commercial vehicle for private use insurance policy and cancel it the following month. They are pretty cheap. I personally went with Allstate. Do not bother calling the agencies over the phone. Go to a local agent and explain you want a commercial vehicle for private use policy.

You can get a 72 hour or 120 hour temporary registration at the Oklahoma website.

https://oklahoma.gov/occ/divisions/t...y-permits.html

Here is a company that will provide roadside for a commercial bus. I personally don't see the benefit in spending that much money just for a single trip. In the beginning I just used AAA and didn't tell them it was a bus I kept saying class A RV.

https://www.roadsidemasters.com/membership-program.php
mrlupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Get the Vermont RV rego / title, mailorder only
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Insurance

I had a hand in a bus that is Virginia bound. Sold in Norman Oklahoma. New owner spent three days or more on the telephone. Also did “commercial for private use”.

She is here on skoolie dot net. Maybe Lu will chime in.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

thanks al;l. I found insurance through Good Sam. It only allows me to drive home and during conversion. They won't insure after converted for fulltime use. Here's contact info for nice woman who helped me and knew what she was doing with Buses.

Tiffany Dawson with Good Sam
216-760-1784
Old 09-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
They also will not insure past liability only after conversion I was told by my agent. I think they stopped doing comprehensive and collision for conversions. Use them for initial insurance and after conversion, shop around I was told.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yup! I just need to get it home and during conversion. Gives me at least 6 months to figure out long term solution
Old 09-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FC
Engine: Cat C-7
I live in Cali also. We went to our State Farm agent and explained our scenario. He first wrote a commercial for private use and then a motor home/rv policy once completed. Look us up when you get out here
ChuckRatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Update

Thanks all. So after a bunch of running around Allstate was the go for me. I called the famous Kelly Newsome in Florida’s and she connected me with Joe Lehr 707-546-3700 in California. He knew exactly what he was doing and had a policy and roadside assistance yo te ready within hours. Highly recommended Joe if anyone needs insurance prior/during conversion and/or roadside assistance

Note: before I got connected with Joe I tried through National general and they offered me a policy with a $5k coverage! Obviously that wouldn’t cover anything and it took them days to get it underwritten.

Tags
california, insurance