Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Just got an insurance quote in New Jersey.

I got a quote from AllState last year. If I recall correctly (I didn't take the policy due to some issues that prevented me from taking the bus out for the winter last year) the quote was about $1100/year.

This year AllState wouldn't even provide a quote. The agent told me the rules had change from last year and they couldn't insure it.

I got a quote from an independent agent who is a relative of a friend who has owned his own agency for 25 years. The quote is $2100/year for the minimum limits. I thought that was pretty steep but maybe not. Anyone else from New Jersey care to comment?

Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Ouch. That’s pretty steep. I thought my $450 a year was a bit much
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I got a quote from AllState last year. If I recall correctly (I didn't take the policy due to some issues that prevented me from taking the bus out for the winter last year) the quote was about $1100/year.

This year AllState wouldn't even provide a quote. The agent told me the rules had change from last year and they couldn't insure it.

I got a quote from an independent agent who is a relative of a friend who has owned his own agency for 25 years. The quote is $2100/year for the minimum limits. I thought that was pretty steep but maybe not. Anyone else from New Jersey care to comment?
Did you get the title changed to RV or Motorhome? The first thing I did before taking a single screw out was to make sure I met the 4 out of 6 requirements and had a private paid inspector to my house to check it out. Two days later, I had plates and a title as a MH. I then was able to get insurance from NG for $384 a year. Granted, the policy is crap that only has 25k minimum liability. Anyone would easily sue and own everything I had if I was negligent and in an accident but alas, the bus hasn't left my property since I drove it here.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:42 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Did you get the title changed to RV or Motorhome? The first thing I did before taking a single screw out was to make sure I met the 4 out of 6 requirements and had a private paid inspector to my house to check it out. Two days later, I had plates and a title as a MH. I then was able to get insurance from NG for $384 a year. Granted, the policy is crap that only has 25k minimum liability. Anyone would easily sue and own everything I had if I was negligent and in an accident but alas, the bus hasn't left my property since I drove it here.
How could you meet the 4 out of 6 requirements without taking out all the seats at a minimum? That would be a lot more than a screw. Are we talking about the same requirements; kitchen, bathroom, bed, RV electrical system, water system?

I have to throw in here that it is registered in Vermont as a motorhome but the insurance I got quoted was commercial. Thanks for reminding me, I don't remember if I told the guy that it's registered in Vermont as a motorhome, might make a difference.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:40 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Call Kelly Newsome at the Knowles Allstate office in Leesburg FL, 352-326-9300

and ask for a referral to someone that deals with NJ.

Pick her brains while you're at it, fount of knowledge
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Call Kelly Newsome at the Knowles Allstate office in Leesburg FL, 352-326-9300

and ask for a referral to someone that deals with NJ.

Pick her brains while you're at it, fount of knowledge
The quote I got last year was via Kelly's referral. It was the same agent I contacted a few weeks ago that said she could no longer quote for conversion buses.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Im hearing the same in TX now. Just got a quote for unconverted, its $197 a month. Converted $140 a month.

I have a good driving record no crashes but bad credit. Still ridiculous!
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm paying $4.11 a month with State Farm for liability on an RV policy. No multi vehicle discount.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:52 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
The quote I got last year was via Kelly's referral. It was the same agent I contacted a few weeks ago that said she could no longer quote for conversion buses.
Again, call for an update.
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:22 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Don't pay the big bucks.

Quote:

We have two International AMTRANS RE Buses. One is a 1998 and the other is a 2002. We have them registered in VT as RV. Progressive did not ask where they are registered only where they are are garaged. This is what we asked for when we called Progressive Commercial lines: "I want to insure a bus that I bought for personal use." We insured the 1998 in 2019 and have carried the policy since. We added the 2005 in May. Our yearly total is $402.00 for the two buses garaged in New Mexico.

This is liability only state minimums non stacked commercial for private use.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Again, call for an update.
I called Kelly Newsome again last week and filled out the skoolie information form. I should hear from an agent in PA tomorrow. My brother lives in PA so I have an address I can use there. We'll see.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I have insurance in Nj and it's 850 a year through liberty mutual
Chopperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperpilot View Post
If the insurance in PA falls through I'll contact Liberty Mutual. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT 3116 (TA185) / AT545
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperpilot View Post
Mine is thru Progressive Commercial in NJ as a commercial vehicle for non commercial use. It's pretty cheap like 30 or 40 a month.
BusWanderer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
We have two International AMTRANS RE Buses. One is a 1998 and the other is a 2002. We have them registered in VT as RV. Progressive did not ask where they are registered only where they are are garaged. This is what we asked for when we called Progressive Commercial lines: "I want to insure a bus that I bought for personal use." We insured the 1998 in 2019 and have carried the policy since. We added the 2005 in May. Our yearly total is $402.00 for the two buses garaged in New Mexico.

This is liability only state minimums non stacked commercial for private use.

sounds about right.. mine is full coverage declared value $8000 and 100/300 liability plus comp and towing and I pay $450 a year for it garaged in Ohio
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:49 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
I have StateFarm in PA. Fully insured with a standard RV policy for $300/yr.
I do also have a multi-vehicle and home policy bundled with the RV too so that may be helping.
Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluthebus00 View Post
I do also have a multi-vehicle and home policy bundled with the RV too so that may be helping.
I'm with State Farm and questioned my low rate on the RV due to multi vehicle discount. They told me the RV does not qualify for MVD.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:00 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluthebus00 View Post
You had to get inspected and show that you really were an RV, right? I called around to State Farm initially and one agent told me they could insure as an RV after my conversion was done; another agent told me that State Farm doesn't insure skoolies because "there's no market for that" lol.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #19
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm with State Farm and questioned my low rate on the RV due to multi vehicle discount. They told me the RV does not qualify for MVD.
After you said this, I went back and checked my policy and you're correct. My RV policy is standalone but everything else is bundled together. I reread through the email chain and Statefarm's only requirement was that I needed to have another asset insured with Statefarm because RV policies can't stand alone and need to be associated with something.

Thanks for triggering me to double check for accuracy. Memory got fuzzy once the insurance hurdle was cleared lol
Old 07-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #20
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You had to get inspected and show that you really were an RV, right? I called around to State Farm initially and one agent told me they could insure as an RV after my conversion was done; another agent told me that State Farm doesn't insure skoolies because "there's no market for that" lol.
Statefarm just wanted pictures, a declared value, and the agent had a few questions. My bus was 90% finished at that point. Only cosmetic items remained. All of the systems were already installed and working. An insurance inspection wasn't required.

I'm not sure if it played a role in Statefarm's approval but when I moved to them, my bus was already titled, registered, and insured(NationalGeneral) as an RV in PA with a current vehicle inspection.