Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2024, 06:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 72
Just got in an accident, how screwed am I?

Hey everyone, about an hour ago I was being a dummy and took a turn too narrow at a gas station and ended up sideswiping someones work van. No one was hurt, and I only damaged their front driver fender and scratched their mirror. The guy was super understanding and we already have claims submitted.

After doing some research however, it looks like my premiums are about to skyrocket. I'm in NJ and insured under progressive, and I heard that premiums here can increase about ~90%. Can anyone attest to this? I'm currently paying about 1800 a year (still registered as a bus and not an RV, not looking to change that currently even thougu IK it'll be cheaper but that's not my concern here,) I've never been in an accident before in any vehicle but I'm young and I've only been with Progressive for a few months.

How much is this gonna hurt?

Payin_Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin_Bills View Post
Hey everyone, about an hour ago I was being a dummy and took a turn too narrow at a gas station and ended up sideswiping someones work van. No one was hurt, and I only damaged their front driver fender and scratched their mirror. The guy was super understanding and we already have claims submitted.

After doing some research however, it looks like my premiums are about to skyrocket. I'm in NJ and insured under progressive, and I heard that premiums here can increase about ~90%. Can anyone attest to this? I'm currently paying about 1800 a year (still registered as a bus and not an RV, not looking to change that currently even thougu IK it'll be cheaper but that's not my concern here,) I've never been in an accident before in any vehicle but I'm young and I've only been with Progressive for a few months.

Might be best to take care of his damages …cash, no insurance claims.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin_Bills View Post

The guy was super understanding and we already have claims submitted.

...paying about 1800 a year.... with Progressive for a few months.

I was with Progressive Commercial until I was given a ticket for running a stop sign which sent the premium from around 350 to over 600 for liability only. Now I'm with Allstate for around 140 annually.

I would just sit tight until the next renewal and search for new insurance if needed. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Might be best to take care of his damages …cash, no insurance claims.
Too late. Claim filed.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:27 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Last year, I was leaving my small local bank in my Ford cab-over truck...insured with Progressive commercial. I was distracted and didn't look closely enough to see the short Genesis parked on my right. I cut the corner leaving the parking space and mashed the rear spoiler and trunk lid of that car, plus dented the right-rear fender. There was no damage to my truck.

I found the owner of the Genesis and offered to just cover the repairs, thinking it might be $1200-1500. When the body shop came back with a $9000 repair estimate on this older, faded car I turned the whole thing over to Progressive. They took care of his car and never said a peep to me...and didn't change my premium at all.

Granted, I'm 62 and have had several vehicles insured with them without claims for years...until this...so your experience might be different. But, like BamaBus said, you ought to just hold fast...not worry...and see what happens at renewal time.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:59 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
alot depends on prior insurance claims (even with other companies) as well as driving record and record with that company.. some companies foregive minor claims without huge rate increases assuming the driver is experienced and squeaky clean.. others will rack you... alot depends on how this guy's company treats it. that company may go after the insurance for all kinds of "related costs" like loss of use, rental replacement of their work fan etc.. stuff out of control of the driver..

I got whacked in the rear years ago in my HVAC van.. the guy that hit me was super cool.. he admitted even on paper he was going too fast in the snow and couldnt stop.. it did a number on his car and my rear van doors / bumper..

unfortunately my company wasnt so cool to him.. they went after him for everything (I worked for a big conglomorate).. me being late to my next 2 calls (we had a policy if we were late we gave the trip charge free).. loss of use of the van, diminished value (my van was BRAND new (less than 1000 miles). even my hourly rate to move my tools to a tempoerary van and back.. it sucked,, they mashed the poor guy and his insurance company for every dime depite me saying id take alot of that time unpaid because the dude was cool.. Nope! .. im sure after that his ins co prob raised his rates..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:21 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I was with Progressive Commercial until I was given a ticket for running a stop sign which sent the premium from around 350 to over 600 for liability only. Now I'm with Allstate for around 140 annually.

I would just sit tight until the next renewal and search for new insurance if needed. Good luck!

Too late. Claim filed.
It’s not too late, both of you can call your agents and cancell/close out the claimed with the explanation of “ situation mutually resolved”.

Just because a claim was opened does not mean a customer can close it !

This will help you with your “loss runs”.
A loss occurs only when an insurance copany pays out.

If there is no payout, there is no loss to affect your current or future policiy.

I have done this before in the past , twice!
I paid out of pocket for the other guys damages which was barely over each of our deductibles but it saved me thousands on my commercial policy renewals as there was no history off loss claims paid out.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:34 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International 3600
Engine: 7.3
I would recommend speaking with the owner of the other vehicle or the business to keep it off of insurance offer to pay for the damage out of pocket
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:55 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International 3600
Engine: 7.3
If you have accident forgiveness or you pay into an escrow account with your insurance for that type of service then I wouldn't worry about it
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 09:14 PM   #9

How much is his car worth? you might want to buy it.
panhapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:57 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Relax. Accidents will happen. See what the damages come in at and go from there. Besides, the first question a new insurance company is going to ask is have you had any accidents in the past 3-5 years. Your premium may not change much or at all.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:58 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 72
Hey haven't updated in a while, but in case anyone was wondering, I never heard back from Progressive after the accident. I did however get my policy renewal, and it does include the accident on the summary, but lists it as "waived?" I'm not too sure what that means. The policy cost did increase by around 100 dollars, but I'm not sure if that's directly related to the accident or something that just went up on its own. In the end, this thankfully doesn't hurt as bad as I thought it would, but $100 is $100!