Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Just got this from Allstate

Some of you may have seen my last thread about insurance. I decided to start a new thread because the information is relevant for potential Allstate insurees.

I've been working through Kelly Newsome. She put me in touch with an agent in PA because I can use my brother's address. Here is what I can remember of the conversation. This information is for new policies. The agent thought current policies will be grandfathered, at least for now. I believe this is for Allstate and not for Allstate just in PA and NJ, both of which I've been dealing with for a policy.

Until last July Allstate underwrote their own policies, now they're using National General as the underwriter. As such they have to meet National General's rules for issuing insurance. Here are the ones we discussed as relevant for me that I can remember.

You can't insure for a full time occupancy, the max. is 90 days a year.

The bus has to be registered in the state you're insured in.

To apply for insurance you need to supply photos of the bus, exterior from all sides and interior both front to back and back to front.

Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
This conforms to what other people have reported about Allstate. I'm glad my policy is paid up through next year.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’m glad they are consolidating and not eliminating
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
This conforms to what other people have reported about Allstate. I'm glad my policy is paid up through next year.
I'm getting tired of dealing with this. Doing this skoolie should be fun but between dealing with health, home and now insurance it's become anything but fun. If I'd bought a box truck, step van or even a cargo trailer there would be no issues, in fact the insurance company wouldn't even know what I was doing with it.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I'm getting tired of dealing with this. Doing this skoolie should be fun but between dealing with health, home and now insurance it's become anything but fun. If I'd bought a box truck, step van or even a cargo trailer there would be no issues, in fact the insurance company wouldn't even know what I was doing with it.
Some people have titled their buses as station wagons in PA. You just mail in the title change request form (MV-41) yourself. There appears to be no process at PennDOT by which these things are checked by a human being. I'm not sure that would work as far as insurance is concerned - especially if you actually ever need to make a claim on the policy.

I hear you about the frustration. This would be a whole lot more fun if you could do everything related to a skoolie build on the up-and-up.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Registration location is not something State Farms cares about. I have yet to experience an insurance company as easy going as State Farm. With all the issues some have I would consider swapping all my insurance over to them. I check often when I get offers to save me $800 a year on my auto insurance. That would begreat because I'm only paying $828 a year for full coverage on a Miata, and liability ona 98 Dakota and the bus. It might pay to move you existing car insurance to State Farm and see what kind of savings there might be. There is no insurance company on earth that will give better ates than I have.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Registration location is not something State Farms cares about. I have yet to experience an insurance company as easy going as State Farm. With all the issues some have I would consider swapping all my insurance over to them. I check often when I get offers to save me $800 a year on my auto insurance. That would begreat because I'm only paying $828 a year for full coverage on a Miata, and liability ona 98 Dakota and the bus. It might pay to move you existing car insurance to State Farm and see what kind of savings there might be. There is no insurance company on earth that will give better ates than I have.
I filled out form on the web and a State Farm agent is, apparently, going to call me 'soon'. I'd settle for tomorrow. What State Farm cares about in Georgia might be unrelated to what it cares about in New Jersey. I'll let you know when I find out.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I spoke with a State Farm agent a couple times today. In the end, after she contacted her underwriter, she told me that I had to have the conversion finished before the underwriter would consider insuring the bus.

I sent 6 pictures to All State in PA at the agent's request and he said he'll get back to me after he's worked with the underwriter, maybe Friday. I'll likely have to get a PA license and transfer the title to PA to become acceptable to All State. This is the policy that will only allow 90 days of occupancy in a conversion per year. I wonder if All State is making the same stipulation to write new policies for any RV or is the 90 day rule just for skoolies? I may ask Kelly Newsome that question if I think to call her.

At my brother's suggestion I tried Progressive. I filled out an application online and got to a screen with a button to purchase the policy. I couldn't believe it could be that easy but hit the button. On the following screens I was able to customize the policies coverage and thought, "hot dam!", it's gonna work but then got to a screen with bullet points and an agreement button at the bottom. One of the points was, "this vehicle is not a conversion from a school, transit or passenger bus." - CHECKMATE! I knew it was too easy, Progressive was just playing with me.

While filling out the form for Progressive I noted that Progressive considers a "professional conversion" to be a conversion like those done to Prevosts, Wanderlodges, etc., by a recognized commercial company, not conversions done as a side business by an individual who just decided to get into it.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
One of the points was, "this vehicle is not a conversion from a school, transit or passenger bus." - CHECKMATE!
I'm not sure how much insurers go for semantics, but you could try first converting your bus into a moveable art installation and then convert that into a motorhome. Technically, it would not be "a conversion from a school, transit or passenger bus."
Old 07-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
I will never use State Farm. About 10 years ago vandals set fire to our car out front if our house while we were sleeping. We found it the next morning. State Farm was a nightmare. They had us investigated, made us testify in front of lawyers and in the end sent us a letter not only denying our claim but accusing us of setting the fire ourselves. Hatred runs deep for them.
witchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchywoman View Post
I will never use State Farm. About 10 years ago vandals set fire to our car out front if our house while we were sleeping. We found it the next morning. State Farm was a nightmare. They had us investigated, made us testify in front of lawyers and in the end sent us a letter not only denying our claim but accusing us of setting the fire ourselves. Hatred runs deep for them.
Here in good old New Jersey we have PIP. I was insured through Liberty Mutual in 2000 when I was rearended while stopped due to an accident. Since Liberty Mutual had to cover my medical expenses they immediately started harassing me to sign a form saying I wasn't injured, this while I was seeing doctors to determine how badly I was injured. I finally had to hire an attorney to stop the harassment. It turned out the impact herniated 2 cervical discs and created bulges in 2 others. Ultimately I had to have 3 cervical vertebra fused. I don't have good feelings for Liberty Mutual. The only positive aspect was I have a monthly income due to a settlement that helps in retirement but I'd really rather NOT have had constant head and neck pain for 22 years and counting.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Kelly Newsome is working on getting me a policy as I type this. If she succeeds it will buy me a year to decide where I'm going to set up a new address and presumably register the bus, get a new DL and insurance for the bus.

The past several weeks have been interesting to say the least. More than a couple times I've been on the verge of scrapping my plans for the bus and selling it. This insurance issue has impacted my plan to get my house back on the market because if my house sells the bus will be my only option for a living space.

I've found out some interesting things about bus/RV insurance during this period of torture. I'm thinking about starting a new thread to discuss them but I don't know yet. It would likely become argumentative but really argument isn't always a bad thing especially if it leads to positive results. "Things, they be a changin'" with regard to insuring with Allstate. More accurately they've changed already which is why I couldn't get the Allstate policy this year that I had lined up last year. What do you think, start another thread or just screw it and move on?
Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: T444E
Share what you know

More information is better in regards to what you are learning...so yes! Also, Skoolie.net is a great place to vent.
AdamKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
I have AllState - I had liability only during conversion. Now that it's converted I got C&C as well. I pay about $600 a year ($200/yr liability only). The policy is a "specialty vehicle" policy, not specifically a MH policy.

There were some questions to begin with to get the policy about conversion, etc but no photos needed. That might change per the thread, but as of yet, this anecdotal situation has been easy-peasy...
Old 07-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I just got off the phone with an Allstate agent. My bus policy is written and paid for. I have one electronic signature to return to make it official. I have full coverage on the bus not just liability. I would have been happy just for liability but I'll take it all even if it significantly increases the cost.

After dealing with this for over a year I think it's going to take a while for it to sink in that I'm good to go on driving the bus. Right now I'm not feeling anything, you'd think I'd be happy.

Now all I have to do is get the interior panels reattached, after insulating, mounting solar panels and fixing the floor then I can take my first drive, which may be to a salvage yard to get new(er) rear tires.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
I just got off the phone with an Allstate agent. My bus policy is written and paid for. I have one electronic signature to return to make it official. I have full coverage on the bus not just liability. I would have been happy just for liability but I'll take it all even if it significantly increases the cost.

After dealing with this for over a year I think it's going to take a while for it to sink in that I'm good to go on driving the bus. Right now I'm not feeling anything, you'd think I'd be happy.

Now all I have to do is get the interior panels reattached, after insulating, mounting solar panels and fixing the floor then I can take my first drive, which may be to a salvage yard to get new(er) rear tires.
You should put your location in your profile. It can help with your issues.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
You should put your location in your profile. It can help with your issues.
My bus insurance issues or my deep seated syco-logicless issues?
Old 07-30-2021, 04:36 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
My bus insurance issues or my deep seated syco-logicless issues?
Possibly both. I have spare bus wheels and tires, was going to offer if you were close.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #19
Site Team

Several posts have been removed in this thread.

Please read our site rules about appropriate posting. We expect members to post in collegial ways and avoid name calling and insults as they only escalate. In other words, please don't feed the trolls. If you see a post that is a problem please use the report post function to get an assist from the site team.

Thanks for understanding.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Possibly both. I have spare bus wheels and tires, was going to offer if you were close.
I just PMed you. Depending on what you've got it might be worth pushing my luck to run it down there on my current tires, especially if we can help each other in the process.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it even if it doesn't work out.