Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Post Legally Transporting Bus Back Home

Okay, so I found some threads here on the subject so I have a jist of what I'm supposed to do. From my understanding if I were to transport my bus from Kansas (the state I'm buying the bus in) to Tennessee, (home) then I would need to get a temp tag in Kansas to drive the bus 9 hours back into Tennessee.

So for insurance and title, I don't know how fast I can get those two done. I'm assuming I would need the title before buying insurance. I haven't bought a car out of state before so I don't know if I'll need to drive up there and physically get my title or if I should try to get it mailed and wait for that to come through.

So I guess what I'm asking for is advice on this whole process and what my plan of action should be. I haven't actually won the bid yet, so if it's too much trouble I can back out. But if I do buy it, I know I'll have to work fast because I'm buying from a school district. They usually have policies that say the bus has to be off of their lot within 2 weeks.

H.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You'll only need the VIN number to get it insured. Check with your current insurer, State Farm covers me for 7 days in anything I buy under my existing policy. State of Ga. allows 30 days to register, BOS is all that's needed. Check your locals laws. I have found as long as you have proper insurance and a current BOS, you are not likely to be stopped for no tag.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
When I picked up my Bluebird, out of state, I purchased a trip permit here in WA online.

Many insurance companies offer automatic extension of coverage on purchases. Mine gives me two weeks. So, I emailed my insurance agent and asked "I have purchased a vehicle vin#123456789. Can you please confirm that my coverage extends to that vehicle? ". She replied "yes, you are covered ".

I took my temp tag, proof of insurance from my truck and printed copies of the emails with me and hit the road.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
We recently had to figure out the same to transport our bus from TX back home. If you want to do everything 'by-the-book', 100% up & up legal...

1) Contact the DMV in the state you'll be picking up the bus from. Find out what the requirements are for a temporary permit (essentially temporary registration) to transport the vehicle out of their state. Depending on the vehicle's current registration status, classification, and use, different types of permits could apply, and different requirements for those permits could exist. Let them know it's a school bus, but being driven in a non-commercial (ie no passengers) capacity. Each state is different, so you really should contact the state directly to find out what you need and how to get it. The one thing that is likely a necessity regardless of the state (though this is conjecture) is the need to show proof of insurance to receive the permit. Note what their mandatory minimums are, as you'll need to meet these with whatever insurance policy you choose.

2) Contact your insurance co with the VIN (you don't need the title) & tell them what you're doing, and what minimums you'll need. Maybe you only want insurance for the trip back, or maybe you want to use it as-is before your conversion is finished, or maybe you want to figure out a way to insure it as an RV straight-off to save problems & money. These are all what-ifs you'll have to figure out. Just tell your insurance co what you need and see if they can provide it. In many cases they won't. In our case, our insurance company didn't & wouldn't, so we went with a commercial policy. It was more expensive, but it was quick & easy, and took care of our immediate need. Lots of info here on this forum concerning insurance.

3) Contact each state you're traveling through on your way back home, including your home destination, and make sure they'll honor the temp permit of the issuing state. I don't think many people do this - it's apparently assumed that states will honor each others temp permits and in practice this is most likely true - but as far as I'm aware, there's no federal mandate that they have to, so if you want to be 100% on this, a phone call or two is cheap insurance, and if nothing else, a worry-eliminator. The Texas DMV official we spoke with said we should do this as well.

4) When you get back, you can transfer the title. Make sure when you pick up the bus that you receive a properly signed off title and bill of sale. If you're purchasing from a school district they should have their stuff squared away, but it never hurts to read up on the requirements for properly signing over a title in the issuing state and making sure they've done it correctly.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Many states don't/won't issue temp tags at all. I would assume the temp registration is the same as a regular registration that is reciprocal in every state as long as it hasn't expired..
Old 07-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post

4) When you get back, you can transfer the title. Make sure when you pick up the bus that you receive a properly signed off title and bill of sale. If you're purchasing from a school district they should have their stuff squared away, but it never hurts to read up on the requirements for properly signing over a title in the issuing state and making sure they've done it correctly.
Quick additional note you may be required to have your bus emission tested before they'll title it. We did here in Hotzona

Old 07-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quick additional note you may be required to have your bus emission tested before they'll title it. We did here in Hotzona
That's surprising, no diesel vehicles need testing here, nor older than 95 models, or antique, historic, classic rods.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Many states don't/won't issue temp tags at all. I would assume the temp registration is the same as a regular registration that is reciprocal in every state as long as it hasn't expired..
That's good to know, and surprising as well. So I guess if you want to be 100% legal in such states driving out it has to be registered normally? That could end up being an immense pain for an auction vehicle.

As for reciprocity with temp tags, from what we gathered, no... there's no guarantee of reciprocity. One state can't legally issue tags that are valid in another. In practice there's likely a good deal of reciprocity extended, but there doesn't have to be. So again - as recommended by Texas - I'd think you'd best served by checking with the states you'll be traveling through to make sure. At least if you want to be absolutely positive you're legal.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
We may be getting into rather deep water with the whole temp tag reciprocity topic. I think based on my other posts regarding safe and legal transport home I'm rather conservative leaning, meaning that where the law speaks there is guidance but where the law is silent so shall we also be. I think temp tag reciprocity for travel from purchase state A through state B to home state C is an issue where no state is going to have specific language to that effect and therefore in the absence of guidance it is reasonably assumed to be permissible. The same would apply if it was an out of state auto purchase. I am a stickler about proper licensing for the class of vehicle but there are laws pertaining to that matter, not this one.

I am willing to be proven wrong if someone can cite/link to specific state regulation which addressed interstate transit reciprocity but I cannot find any. The states only care if you transfer into their state the timeframe to register the vehicle in the new home state.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
We may be getting into rather deep water with the whole temp tag reciprocity topic. I think based on my other posts regarding safe and legal transport home I'm rather conservative leaning, meaning that where the law speaks there is guidance but where the law is silent so shall we also be. I think temp tag reciprocity for travel from purchase state A through state B to home state C is an issue where no state is going to have specific language to that effect and therefore in the absence of guidance it is reasonably assumed to be permissible. The same would apply if it was an out of state auto purchase. I am a stickler about proper licensing for the class of vehicle but there are laws pertaining to that matter, not this one.

I am willing to be proven wrong if someone can cite/link to specific state regulation which addressed interstate transit reciprocity but I cannot find any. The states only care if you transfer into their state the timeframe to register the vehicle in the new home state.
With all due respect, you should prove yourself right before asking that others do their homework to prove you wrong.

There's a lot of "I thinks" and assumptions you appear to be basing your opinion on. Do you know for certain that every state in the nation doesn't have language that addresses out-of-state unregistered vehicles? Is it legal to drive an unregistered vehicle in any and every state based solely on the owners assertion it won't be there long?

I don't know the legal ins & outs of every state. Who does? But we were told by Texas DMV that we needed to - not that it was 'a good idea' but that we needed to - check with the states we were passing through to make sure their permit would be honored. And when we checked with both our destination state, as well as an intermediate state, both of them asked what state it was coming from before saying yet they did.

For the price of a phone call, I'm having a hard time seeing why anyone wouldn't cover their butt by asking this very simple question. But hey - to each their own.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Can anyone contradict this with facts. My regular registration is acceptable in every single state I drive in. If I need to move an unregistered vehicle to another state I purchase a temporary tag limited to a certain time. It costs a bunch less than a yearly registration. That registration is a registration, acceptable in every state in the nation.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Can anyone contradict this with facts. My regular registration is acceptable in every single state I drive in. If I need to move an unregistered vehicle to another state I purchase a temporary tag limited to a certain time. It costs a bunch less than a yearly registration. That registration is a registration, acceptable in every state in the nation.
I thought 3 state DMVs all telling me the same thing was the equivalent of a fact, but
here's a fourth if you're still not convinced:

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/temp_permit.html

"A standard trip permit allows the owner of any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer to move the vehicle from one location to another without registering the vehicle. Standard trip permits are valid for three consecutive days. The Virginia trip permit is valid only in Virginia. The customer must contact other state(s) if the travel route is outside of Virginia."

Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Yes, Virginia,
Quote:
I thought 3 state DMVs all telling me the same thing was the equivalent of a fact, but
here's a fourth if you're still not convinced:

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/temp_permit.html

"A standard trip permit allows the owner of any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer to move the vehicle from one location to another without registering the vehicle. Standard trip permits are valid for three consecutive days. The Virginia trip permit is valid only in Virginia. The customer must contact other state(s) if the travel route is outside of Virginia."
There is a Satan Clause.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #14
Bus Geek

So I guess if one of the neighboring states doesn't issue temp tags you won't be able to legally remove the vehicle from the state without registration? Ga. doesn't have any of those issues.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
So I guess if one of the neighboring states doesn't issue temp tags you won't be able to legally remove the vehicle from the state without registration? Ga. doesn't have any of those issues.
Incorrect.

It's entirely possible for a state that doesn't provide for the issuance of temporary permits itself (I'm going off what you said here - I have no idea what if any states don't issue temp permits) to honor the temp permits of another state. And it's equally possible they won't.

The takeaway here is that each state makes its own rules - more or less - about what's legal on it's highways (interstates? wonder if they have different rules?). And they have the right to honor another state's permits/licenses/etc, or to not honor them. Reciprocity agreements are often set up to hash out these details, but again... if you want to make sure you're 100% legal... just assuming there's a reciprocity agreement in place in regards to temp permits is not a good strategy. It only takes a phone call or a web search to know for sure.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Gilly View Post
Okay, so I found some threads here on the subject so I have a jist of what I'm supposed to do. From my understanding if I were to transport my bus from Kansas (the state I'm buying the bus in) to Tennessee, (home) then I would need to get a temp tag in Kansas to drive the bus 9 hours back into Tennessee.

So for insurance and title, I don't know how fast I can get those two done. I'm assuming I would need the title before buying insurance. I haven't bought a car out of state before so I don't know if I'll need to drive up there and physically get my title or if I should try to get it mailed and wait for that to come through.

So I guess what I'm asking for is advice on this whole process and what my plan of action should be. I haven't actually won the bid yet, so if it's too much trouble I can back out. But if I do buy it, I know I'll have to work fast because I'm buying from a school district. They usually have policies that say the bus has to be off of their lot within 2 weeks.
So where around Nashville are you?
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Yes, Virginia,There is a Satan Clause.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Incorrect.

It's entirely possible for a state that doesn't provide for the issuance of temporary permits itself (I'm going off what you said here - I have no idea what if any states don't issue temp permits) to honor the temp permits of another state. And it's equally possible they won't.

The takeaway here is that each state makes its own rules - more or less - about what's legal on it's highways (interstates? wonder if they have different rules?). And they have the right to honor another state's permits/licenses/etc, or to not honor them. Reciprocity agreements are often set up to hash out these details, but again... if you want to make sure you're 100% legal... just assuming there's a reciprocity agreement in place in regards to temp permits is not a good strategy. It only takes a phone call or a web search to know for sure.
It's really a non issue. I drove all the way across the country with no tag, usually faster than the flow.I never got stopped. I was pulled over on my own in the side of the road in 2 states where LEO rolled in to see if I needed help. Questioned the no tag. I explained I had just purchased it that morning. Showed him my dated BOS and Title and explain how in Ga. I'm allowed to drive on a BOS for 30 days and mu current insurance covers this vehicle. I'm just passing through your state. His reply was "Ah, have a nice trip, if you were staying you would need a temp tag. In the other state it was the same story only I told him we were at at exit mile marker 14,I'll be out of your state in 15 minutes. Have a nice trip was his reply. There's a thread here about others who have been pulled over. Don't think any of them where transporting home issues. Insurance is the most important thing, then a title and BOS and transport home. You have to be a completely bad driver to get pulled over in a bus..
Old 07-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Incorrect.

So true.

Some assume that if it works "this way" in their state that it must be the same in all others.

Washington issues trip permits. I have purchased several. I have used them to pick up several vehicles from out of state. I have told the folks at the counter when I bought them that I was picking up out of state. No problem.

I was researching another issue and came across RCW's stating that WA trip permits are only valid within the state.

From what I can see it is near impossible for us to move a bus across the country and be absolutely legal.

I do endeavor to obey the law. Sometimes it is a challenge.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It's really a non issue. I drove all the way across the country with no tag, usually faster than the flow.I never got stopped.
I've ridden away from police encounters that should have gotten me thrown in jail & my bike impounded. Likewise, I came close to being charged with a felony & having my license revoked for a half-ass wheelie an officer tried to blow up into a bogus street racing charge. It's all luck (or bad luck) of the draw. The fact you or I have gotten lucky a time or two doesn't mean other people will, or that we will tomorrow.

I'm a bit less of a risk taker these days. The last thing I want is to find myself hundreds if not thousands of miles away from home in a bus the law has just deemed unmovable. That is a potential consequence of not acquiring the proper registration / permit and assuring it will be honored in the states you travel through. A consequence that could be entirely avoided with a phone call or two and the pittance of a price of a temp permit.

Tags
insurance, legal, tags, title