Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I still register, insure and inspect as a bus for personal use regardless of what's in or out.
I do have to do full DOT inspections every year (it's 15$verses 50$) but the men there know medium to heavy duty vehicles better than I do? They don't fail me they just say hey you might need to look at this before next year and as long as I have done what they asked? I have NO surprises and it's easy.
Have no problem paying the extra money for a proffesional inspection and get a DOT stamp
You pay the same price for diesel whether you have it or not but a full DOT inspection of our skoolies (if you can find a good shop) can make us or break us.
Especially if you can't do the work yourself

Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I still register, insure and inspect as a bus for personal use regardless of what's in or out.
Sorry, I didn't understand, what is the advantage of doing that, compared to an RV rego?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: cummins 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sorry, I didn't understand, what is the advantage of doing that, compared to an RV rego?
so from what i have found out is:
i have only found one company to insure this bus and that is national general!
i have also found out i can get this bus inspected at any inspection station in town
i have found out that i can drive this bus with my class f license
tagging it will cost about 35 bucks a year
insurance is 80 a month and insurance on an rv is about 200 a year
the cost of insurance would be the only to get the title changed to an rv
for now i will just register as a personal vehicle since its not too much and i can drive it and work on it at the same time
i just want a camping rig for this year
i will probably keep my eyes open for a cheap damaged camper and use the part for my bus
ultrapac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Geez.. I live in MN and dont meet some of the requirements. I even had it registered as an RV with most of the seats out. And in MN were not required to have it inspected every year either. Although I'm not living in mine.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
bucket with hefty sack with bungee cord attached to wall or bucket with heft sack in a box attached to floor?
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #26
Almost There

Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrapac View Post
Special construction/Recreational vehicles

To comply with 301.010 RSMo requiring permanently attached sleeping and eating facilities and 700.010 RSMo that refer to the american national standards institute(ANSI), known as the national fire protection association(NFPA), standard NFPA 1192 defining a recreational motor vehicle and a recreational vehicle, a special construction or conversion must have in addition to permanent eating and sleeping facilities four of the following systems installed. it is recommended the the following criteria be considered:

! Sleeping facilities will include an area of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons to rest in a normal sleeping position. this requirement could be met by the installation of a mattress type bed, a recliner chair, or a couch.

2 Eating facilities will include a table of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons for the purpose of eating. i will also include a bench type seat or chairs. the table will be attached to the unit by screws, bolts, or other methods to affix the table in a permanent manner.

3. the vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems. The ANSI/NFPA standard (NFPA 1192) requires four of the following facilities: "cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self contained toilet, heating and air conditioning, or both, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink.

A. Cooking facility - will include one or more items - stove microwave oven, standard oven, or convection oven, which is permanently installed and has adequate clearance as specified in the terms their listed. clearance spaces shall be framed in or guarded to prevent storage space within the clearance specified by its UL or manufacturers listing.

B. Refrigeration or icebox - will include a refrigeration unit or icebox which is permanently installed. The unit may be powered by electric, LP gas, or both.

C. Self-contained toilet - will include a toilet and waste collection system that is permanently installed.

D. Heating or air conditioning or both - will include standard recreational vehicle type roof or window mounted air conditioner unit that is permanently installed. the heating system shall be electric, LP gas, or both that is permanently installed and meet the terms of their UL or manufacturers listing.

E. A portable water system including a faucet and sink - will include a system to store water in a holding tank attached to a faucet and sink. it will also have a grey water holding tank.

4. Separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply system or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas supply or both. a 12v dc power inverter capable of powering the cooking facility, refrigeration, and/or the heating/air conditioning system that is permanently installed will be acceptable. an LP gas system used to supply the stove, oven, refrigerator, or heating will be acceptable.

5. Separate entrance on passenger side or rear.

6. fire extinguisher that meets at least a 2 A 10-b:c or greater.

7.At least one integral battery-operated smoke alarm shall be installed.

* 5th wheel plate must be removed
******TRUCK/TRACTORS CONVERTED TO RV ********* a separate box must be put on the back of the truck/tractor (cannot be just a regular sleeper that has been modified)

this is the letter i got i am just curious what your interpretation is to this????
My opinion, this is government over involvement. I get how regulations help with safety, but we should have a right to not have a damn AC or heater in our skoolie Hell, some houses don’t have heat (Florida...I lived there) nor AC.
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRev View Post
My opinion, this is government over involvement. I get how regulations help with safety, but we should have a right to not have a damn AC or heater in our skoolie Hell, some houses don’t have heat (Florida...I lived there) nor AC.
You're only reading what you want to.
" in addition to permanent eating and sleeping facilities four of the following systems installed. it is recommended the the following criteria be considered:"

Only 4 from the list need to be met, you don't want heat or AC, you don't have to put it in.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #28
Bus Geek

A little golfing Buddy heater would count if that's a box you wanted ticked.

Or a little fan / cube plugs into mains.

Once "inspected", take it out.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #29
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Quote:

To comply with 301.010 RSMo requiring permanently attached sleeping and eating facilities and 700.010 RSMo that refer to the american national standards institute(ANSI), known as the national fire protection association(NFPA), standard NFPA 1192 defining a recreational motor vehicle and a recreational vehicle, a special construction or conversion must have in addition to permanent eating and sleeping facilities four of the following systems installed. it is recommended the the following criteria be considered:

! Sleeping facilities will include an area of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons to rest in a normal sleeping position. this requirement could be met by the installation of a mattress type bed, a recliner chair, or a couch.

2 Eating facilities will include a table of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons for the purpose of eating. i will also include a bench type seat or chairs. the table will be attached to the unit by screws, bolts, or other methods to affix the table in a permanent manner.

3. the vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems. The ANSI/NFPA standard (NFPA 1192) requires four of the following facilities: "cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self contained toilet, heating and air conditioning, or both, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink.

A. Cooking facility - will include one or more items - stove microwave oven, standard oven, or convection oven, which is permanently installed and has adequate clearance as specified in the terms their listed. clearance spaces shall be framed in or guarded to prevent storage space within the clearance specified by its UL or manufacturers listing.

B. Refrigeration or icebox - will include a refrigeration unit or icebox which is permanently installed. The unit may be powered by electric, LP gas, or both.

C. Self-contained toilet - will include a toilet and waste collection system that is permanently installed.

D. Heating or air conditioning or both - will include standard recreational vehicle type roof or window mounted air conditioner unit that is permanently installed. the heating system shall be electric, LP gas, or both that is permanently installed and meet the terms of their UL or manufacturers listing.

E. A portable water system including a faucet and sink - will include a system to store water in a holding tank attached to a faucet and sink. it will also have a grey water holding tank.

4. Separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply system or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas supply or both. a 12v dc power inverter capable of powering the cooking facility, refrigeration, and/or the heating/air conditioning system that is permanently installed will be acceptable. an LP gas system used to supply the stove, oven, refrigerator, or heating will be acceptable.

******TRUCK/TRACTORS CONVERTED TO RV ********* a separate box must be put on the back of the truck/tractor (cannot be just a regular sleeper that has been modified)

this is the letter i got i am just curious what your interpretation is to this????
I'm in MO, my bus is in MO. She is registered in VT. If you register your bus in MO let me know if you actually get a new VIN plate. I feel that it may be useful for insurance purposes in the future.
I also like the fact it mentions icebox as an alternative to refrigeration. I would like to swap my electric refrigerator for an icebox and my propane stove for a wood cookstove.
Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #30
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Quote:
so from what i have found out is:
i have only found one company to insure this bus and that is national general!
i have also found out i can get this bus inspected at any inspection station in town
i have found out that i can drive this bus with my class f license
tagging it will cost about 35 bucks a year
insurance is 80 a month and insurance on an rv is about 200 a year
the cost of insurance would be the only to get the title changed to an rv
for now i will just register as a personal vehicle since its not too much and i can drive it and work on it at the same time
i just want a camping rig for this year
i will probably keep my eyes open for a cheap damaged camper and use the part for my bus
National General is the broker not the insurance company. I was set up through them with Progressive who cancels after a month and says they don't have to refund me!!! I may switch back to Good Samaritan through National General but am not sure as I am still ticked off at Nat General for signing me up with progressive in the first place.
Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #31
Almost There

Coachwork: Ward Senator
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You're only reading what you want to.
" in addition to permanent eating and sleeping facilities four of the following systems installed. it is recommended the the following criteria be considered:"

Only 4 from the list need to be met, you don't want heat or AC, you don't have to put it in.
No, I am reading the OP and giving my thoughts and opinion as they asked. It’s government over involvement. I understand regulations for safety reasons; smoke alarm, separate entrance, a fire extinguisher, insurance, mechanical inspection and the like should be enough. How I cook my food, what I sleep on, whether I am hot or cold, etc. is my business. But, I am a resident of Florida and it’s not my problem. I do feel for my skoolie peeps who have to go through so much to get a tag and still be denied. insurance.
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Ok I am in Fulton Mo. and have gone through the dog and pony show and as someone said you only need to meet 4 of these requirements. What they are trying to prevent is a bucket, a mattress and a cooler makes it into an RV. I think they are remembering the good old hippy days when anything could be an RV which could be embarrassing for the state. Where did most of the Partridge Family buses come from, CALIFORNIA. As stated before if you leave the seats in it's considered a commercial vehicle, take the seats out and it's a truck and it will be insured as such, expensive. Do the work and get the title changed over to an RV and insurance is cheap, anyone can drive it even with air brakes and no weigh station stops. Yes they do give you a new VIN and title after you surrender your originals. They were very nice to me when I got my inspection and I hadn't gotten around to painting it yet, they didn't care because the inside was finished. Don't be intimidated, they are pretty easy to work with at the HP. Where I got into trouble was the girls at the DMV, they wanted receipts for the appliances which I didn't have because most of them were given to me. We "scared up" a few receipts and they were happy. All my receipts for pluming parts, elect parts, paint, carpet etc were useless, they worry about stolen toilets, sinks, windows, doors, etc so keep those receipts or have one of you buddies write some up to keep them satisfied.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #33

Quote:

I like your adding the requirements. I have a question on the separate door. What are the specific size requirements?
1WerdRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: tc2000
Engine: cummins 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WerdRV View Post
I like your adding the requirements. I have a question on the separate door. What are the specific size requirements?
ask modot because i dont know.
it probably does not have a definition
probably just at the description of the inspector
i actually did not mess with all this
i just tagged my bus as a bus and got rv insurance
ultrapac is offline   Reply With Quote