Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2020, 12:06 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
License Dilema

Hello,

So I ran into another problem. I'm driving a bus from Las Vegas to New York that's above 28,000 pounds. I have a full CDL, but because of my age, my CDL is restricted to New York only. Can I still drive this bus on my CDL, or will I get in trouble if a cop pulls me over?

the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
A lot of people do their first drive, before they convert the registration to a motorhome, with a regular driver's license. Few seem to have had a problem.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
If you drive it back alone or with a co-driver but no passengers you should be fine. If you can get a temporary license plate from your home state or the dealer/seller that would help because it'll be obvious it's a new purchase. Keep a copy of the purchase paperwork with you during the journey. Obscure any school markings and perhaps tape a sign to the effect "In Transit - Not For Hire" in the entry glass to avoid concerns you're evading proper licensing for the class of vehicle. Nothing difficult but all indicative that the vehicle is being transported and not operating illicitly.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:54 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Oh, and only enter a weigh station if the signs specifically indicate buses weigh. Missouri will have this. Weigh and inspection stations operate for a number of reasons and check more than legal weights but with the bill of sale in hand even IF anyone waves you over they shouldn't waste much time on you when they have bigger fish to fry.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
Almost There

Thank you all, I also have my TWIC and full CDL (CDL restricted to NY for the time being) if I haven't mentioned that before.

Now my next question, are buses suppose to enter weigh stations?
Old 04-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7exp View Post
Now my next question, are buses suppose to enter weigh stations?
Read the signs and see if it applies to you. Some say all commercial vehicles enter which you are not (weight class notwithstanding). I know Missouri specifically says buses weigh and you are in a bus but they'll likely wave you by anyways. Some say all vehicles over 10k which even includes RVs although they aren't the target. If in doubt, enter but again you're not who they're looking for.

Also, many weigh stations are currently closed anyways to avoid slowing down commerce during the crisis so probably not going to be an issue anyways
Old 04-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Read the signs and see if it applies to you. Some say all commercial vehicles enter which you are not (weight class notwithstanding). I know Missouri specifically says buses weigh and you are in a bus but they'll likely wave you by anyways. Some say all vehicles over 10k which even includes RVs although they aren't the target. If in doubt, enter but again you're not who they're looking for.

Also, many weigh stations are currently closed anyways to avoid slowing down commerce during the crisis so probably not going to be an issue anyways
Thanks. I hope it all goes well.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
the scales i seen are open and some require you to pull in with any unlicensed vehicle. not always posted as you are required to know this. check every state dot online that you will pass thru
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote