Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International S-Series
Engine: Navistar 7.3l Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 53
License Requirements for Missouri

Good day -
NatMarie and I are new to the community and doing some research - I've had a difficult time identifying what type of driver's license I need to operate our vehicle in Missouri - it is already fully converted, but not yet registered or titled in the state.
We are looking to pick our Skoolie up in NC and drive it home next week.

Any insights, expertise or wisdom is much appreciated as we embark upon this new adventure!

ScottyP

ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
If it's already converted then a trip to the HP in Jeff City for an inspection should get you an RV title if not titled so. If it already has an RV title they should respect your NC papers and convert it to a Mo title. An RV has no weight restrictions so you don't need any special license to operate it and you should be good to go. Anyone can drive it even with air brakes, yes the wife, son or even your mother-in-law. I went to my insurer and had them take pictures to verify what I was driving so no funny business could sidetrack the compensation part of my claim if needed in the future. Welcome
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #3

That is great information and great news, thanks! I will look into having it titled as an RV in NC, so the transfer and titling is simplified when getting it back to MO. Also, will save a trip to Jeff City.
If that becomes necessary, I'll reach out, as you might be on the way!
Thanks, again!
Old 08-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

Back in Missouri!

Ok - drove our new skoolie to Missouri from NC - what an adventure! We have the title from NC, but it is not titled as an RV, so I'm thinking we need to get it classified as such here. It already meets the criteria for being a motorhome in MO, having running water, a separate heating/cooling system, dining seating, kitchen, etc.
Not sure if I need to call the DMV to discover the process, or what paperwork is needed to make this happen...
Any insights on next steps from you seasoned Missouri skoolie owners is much appreciated!!
Thanks - ScottyP
Old 08-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Call down to DMV in Jeff city and tell them what you want to do and I believe you will get an appointment to show them your bus (several weeks out, backlog-ed I'm sure). Take pictures inside and out because they will send you to the Truman Building for paperwork and the gals would like pictures to include in your folder (yes they will keep the pictures). Of course receipts of any kind pertaining to the conversion might be helpful. I was suprised how many car dealers are there getting titles straightened out from deadbeat customers, lost titles, etc. Also this is how you get a title for specially constructed vehicles.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #6

Thanks - what about the Vermont option posted all over this site - would that be a way to go - guessing the vehicle could be titled as an RV there, then transferred to Missouri registration already as an RV. Would appreciate your thoughts - looking to streamline, but want to be correct about the process!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #7
Bus Nut

bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush, do it here. It's not that hard just some hoops to jump threw
Old 08-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #8

Thanks - you're right; we're in MO and it seems like additional time and work to opt for the Vermont option. I don't have a lot of receipts, since we did not do the conversion. Will that be an issue? I can certainly provide them with plenty of photos.
Also, I will likely need a temp travel tag to get it to Jeff City - not finding any relevant info on the site, since most temp tags come from a dealer. Any insight on that?
Old 08-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
Bus Nut

I don't think not having conversion receipts will be a problem since you didn't do the work. I don't know about the temp tag. I guess you could get it inspected and licensed and that tag would be good even though you are going to change title status.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
In Indiana there's a form to change the vehicle type which can be obtained at any license branch or online. A state police officer or license branch agent has to physically inspect the vehicle to confirm the above-mentioned qualifications are met, they sign the form, and the license branch will re-issue the title with the correct vehicle type. I'd imagine the process in MO is similar. In this situation I don't think the VT method gains you anything unless for some reason your home state begins questioning how it qualifies as an RV but if it's a completed conversion I can't imagine that becoming the case. Good luck!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
Just to let you know I just converted mine. I live in the st. Louis side of the state. I did have to go to the highway patrol inspection office which is in South St Louis to get it inspected to make sure that it met all the requirements. You have to buy a form 551 I believe from the DMV office. It's about 25 or $30. Then you call the highway patrol inspection office nearest you and make an appointment do you have it inspected. It took me longer to drive there than it did for the inspection to happen. It took about 15 minutes for them to inspect it and about 35 or 40 minutes for me to drive there. Make sure they check the correct box on the bottom of the form saying that it needs a DR number. They forgot to check that box which caused it to you not be registered as an RV. With a few phone calls and what not it was corrected but it was right as covid hit so things took longer. After the inspection is done in the paperwork was shipped to Jefferson City then a new VIN number is shipped to the highway patrol office that it was inspected. Once they get that you have to make an appointment to go down there again to have them put the new vin number on. The one in St. Louis does these no later than 3 or 3:30
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:07 AM   #12

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Ford, E450
Hi, Can you tell me what the criteria are for getting the State Patrol to pass it as an RV? What kind of electrical system are they wanting, does it have to be an actual toilet system or will a cassette toilet work, and what do they mean by "running water"? I have a 2002 I converted. I have 2 five gallon jugs for water, a real sink that pumps the water through a faucet, 480w solar, a propane stove/oven, and a 5 gallon bucket. I can use a cassette toilet if that's better for them than the bucket. Thanks! I have it registered as a commercial truck but RV would be better.
Haremgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #13
Skoolie

They want a "separate" electrical system. (Just not your vehicle /starting battery) I currently just have a shore power setup that powers fridge and a 12V power supply for what will be on my solar later. They did not even have me hook it up to the shore power.

"running water" you should be fine. I have a sink that is fed by a 6 gallon water jug with the same as my gray water tank

"toilet" I have a reliance camp toilet which is basically a fancy 5 gallon bucket

"propane stove" that should work fine I had a microwave as my permanent cooking area but will have a built in cook top later for boondocking

you need a sleeping area and a table large enough to to accommodate persons for the purpose of eating.

I will reply to this with all they sent me
Old 08-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #14
Skoolie

Thank you for your inquiry to the Missouri Department of Revenue.

Modified to Become an RV
To title and register a unit modified to become a Recreational Vehicle (RV), the following documents and fees are to be mailed to the central office (address on application):

Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 10;
Ownership document(s):
MSO; or
Properly assigned title.
Vehicle Examination Certificate (DOR-551) completed by Missouri Highway Patrol (form purchased from your local license office);
Paid personal property tax receipt;
Safety and emissions inspections (if applicable); and
Proof of insurance.
Fees:
$32.25 registration;
$8.50 title;
State and local tax (if applicable);
Processing ($6.00 for registration and $6.00 for the title); and
Title penalty, if applicable.

A recreational vehicle (RV) or motor home is a motor vehicle designed or modified to be used for temporary housing quarters, which includes sleeping and eating facilities. The temporary housing quarters must:

• Be permanently attached to a motor vehicle;

• Contain permanently installed independent life support systems which meet the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards (the guidelines can be purchased from the Department of Public Safety, Division of Fire Safety); and

• Provide at least four of the following facilities:

o Cooking, refrigeration, or ice box;

o Self-contained toilet;

o Heating, air conditioning, or both;

o A portable water supply system which includes a faucet and sink; and

o Separate 110-125 volt electrical power, LP gas supply, or both.

Once modified you can title and register as an RV, but must submit a Vehicle Examination Certificate (Form 551) completed by an authorized officer of the Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) along with the certificate of title and applicable title and registration fees

• The modified vehicle must meet specific guidelines which may be purchased from the Department of Public Safety, Division of Fire Safety.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #15
Skoolie

I am trying to find the link to a document they sent I might just scan it in and share here so all in MO can use it but from MO Dept of Rev site

(11) "Motor home", a vehicle which is designed to provide temporary living quarters and which:

  (a) Is built onto as an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a motor vehicle chassis; and

  (b) Contains at least four of the following independent life systems if each is permanently installed and designed to be removed only for purposes of repair or replacement and meets the American National Standards Institute standards for recreation vehicles:

  a. A cooking facility with an onboard fuel source;

  b. A gas or electric refrigerator;

  c. A toilet with exterior evacuation;

  d. A heating or air conditioning system with an onboard power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine;

  e. A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, a water tank with an exterior service supply connection;

  f. A 110-125 volt electric power supply;

  (c) The three basic types of motor homes are specified as follows:

  a. Type A: a raw chassis upon which is built a driver's compartment and an entire body which provides temporary living quarters as defined above;

  b. Type B: a completed van-type vehicle which has been altered to provide temporary living quarters as defined above;

  c. Type C: an incomplete vehicle, upon which is permanently attached a body designed to provide temporary living quarters as defined above;

---the link to the whole document is here---

https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSecti...2044motor+home
Old 08-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #16
Skoolie

here is a link to the thread started by Ultrapac

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/l...m_medium=email
Old 08-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #17

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Ford, E450
All that sounds good. I'm wondering if they'll accept my quite adequate solar set up. I have sometimes used a big extension cord to connect if power is available. Seems like that would be ok. Who knows. LOL
Haremgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #18
Skoolie

Someone put it well before "They are not Licensed electricians" they just glance at it to see if it is there.

I guess they don't care if anything catches fire. LOL