Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Looking for Insurance Nevada

Hey team! There isn't a thread for NV yet - so hopefully this will help me, and someone else down the road

The time has almost come - our conversion is just about finished and I'll need to get the rig insured before we can hit the road.

Reading through the thread, I'm thinking about trying the legendary Kelly Newsome for a referral to a NV agent. I just want to clarify a few points before I make the call so I don't say the wrong thing or end up down the wrong road.
  • I live in Vegas, but the bus is currently registered as a motor home in Vermont (VT registration method).
  • We are leaving for full-time in a few months, so not sure if we need to re-register in Vegas until we move back to the state. . .
    Will I need to re-register in NV to obtain RV insurance?
  • Is it OK to mention "school bus"? obviously if they see the VIN they'll know it was a bus, and the photos speak for themselves, should they ask.
  • I've read not to mention we are living full-time - any other tips you can drop to help me out?

A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
They’re going to want pictures so photoshop out the wood stove, rooftop deck and luggage rack
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Don't mention registration when getting insurance, they probably won't ask because you need the insurance before you can register. You may show the Vt. registration as an RV and that may be acceptable. If they question you, tell them you are moving from Vt. If it's an RV, don't mention school bus. Is there a reason you don't want to register in Nv.? If not, you can transfer the Vt. registration to Nv.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
They’re going to want pictures so photoshop out the wood stove, rooftop deck and luggage rack

The photoshop job would be no problem but lucky for us we nixed the wood stove early on (not enough space sadly), and the roof rack is v2.0 upgrade.

I think our build will be acceptable for insurance purposes though I'm a little iffy on the NV registration, I've heard they want a toilet plumbed to black tank, and we're running with a composting toilet. I don't think they'll notice or say anything, unless we catch them on a bad day.
That said - I think we're going to hold off on re-registering in NV until we move back to the state. A) to save time, B) to save some money and C) we wont be driving in Nevada again until this time next year.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Get an independent VIN verifier to do the inspection for title change.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Get an independent VIN verifier to do the inspection for title change.
Good call on that one - there's a VIN verifier in the parking lot of my new second home - Lowes. I'm friggin' there every damn day wrapping up this plumbing, about to go back again this afternoon! Anybody need anything while I'm out?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Following up for the Nevada skoolie family -

Just got off the phone with National General as a fully insured RV for our 1995 International.
They were very professional, and helped me get a quote and policy in about 20 minutes. They even asked:
"This is not a semi, flatbed, or commercial vehicle, more of a conversion, right?"
To which I hesitantly replied "well, it's more of a a bus . . definitely not a truck or semi, not a commercial vehicle"

"So, more of a conversion then. No problem" said the National General agent as she finished my paperwork and sent it over for e-signing.

$45/mo for full coverage:
$100k injury, $50k property, $100k uninsured motorist, $1000 deductible comprehensive, $100k full time protection (whatever that is), $3k personal effects.

I hope to never have to use it, but at least we are insured and can drive legally!

Will probably go with CoachNet for roadside assistance - but happy to be with NatGen for insurance, they made it easy on me