Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue-Bird All American RE
Chassis: F204270
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC
I tried the portal. For my bus it had a lot of blank fields.

jfmusic@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue-Bird All American RE
Chassis: F204270
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC
Taking the written for non commercial B this afternoon.
jfmusic@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:53 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Im glad i donít live in Commiefornia !
I know we've had this conversation before. Can we cut out the state insults so the forum doesn't blow up with tit for tat?

If you want to make a factual observations, that's fine. For instance, 'I'm glad I don't live in California because Texas weather is better if you are boondocking'; or 'I'm glad I don't live in California because there are more scenic valleys, beaches and mountains in Texas'; or 'I'm glad I don't live in California because the education system and economy are better in Texas'; or 'I'm glad I don't live in California because average salaries are better in Texas.'
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 10:45 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
"Non-commercial Commercial Driver's License" is oxymoronic!

An RV longer than 40 feet will require its driver to have a non-commercial Class B license (with a medical certificate), but RVs no longer than 40 feet can be driven with a regular Class C. This presupposes that they are registered as a Motorhome (previously a "House Car" in California-speak). To do so requires one to have converted it sufficiently that it will pass muster as a genuine usable RV, and that it cannot be converted back to be a passenger-hauling bus ever again. If it's not yet a Motorhome you will need a non-commercial Class B for any vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR; Motorhomes not exceeding 40 feet are the only vehicles that can be driven with a Class C regardless of their GVWR.

In California a privately-owned and privately-used ex-school bus will usually be registered as "AUTO (BU)", but this will raise red flags with our friends at CARB who automatically assume that BU means a commercial bus. My bus was registered that way after I purchased it, but it started becoming difficult and then impossible to renew its registration a few years ago. I had a private (non-DMV) vehicle registration service re-register my bus as a Motorhome, so now I have a new Pink Slip and annual registration document showing the magic "MH" on it. Even doing that, CARB will make it increasingly difficult to register it in CA in the future, so now I am researching out-of-state alternatives. It seems that CA just doesn't want any older diesel vehicles at all, and converting my bus to have a DPF or completely repowering it is not possible. If I need to change my domicile to another state, so be it.

John
As often as riots happen in commiefornia, I still don't understand why 'normal' people haven't hung the people responsible for this and/or the people trying to enforce these kinds of nonsense laws. And you are correct, CA does not want any vehicle older than 3 years being used in any kind of commercial activity. This is why there's a growing number of owner/operator truckers that simply don't do business in that state, or across the Continental Divide.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote