Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT3116
MA Registration as an "Auto Home"

I've been searching for information on registering and insuring my bus and I haven't found any definitive answers online. I figured I would post my experiences so far. Note: I have not successfully registered and insured yet, but I will keep everyone posted.

I first went to my insurance company, which is a Commerce agent. They told me in order for me to register as an RV / Motor Home I would need a title that says "Auto Home" which is what they call an RV in Massachusetts.

Next I called the Registry of Motor Vehicles Titling Division in Boston and spoke with "Will". He told me I need to bring a "notarized statement saying that the bus has been converted to a self-contained auto home including details on what was done and who did the work". When I asked what needed to be done to complete the conversion he was a bit less specific, he seemed to think that a bathroom, shower, sink and holding tanks were most important. He also stated, repeatedly, that there is no inspection process. Simple my written and notarized statement would be sufficient.

So my plan is to do the minimum work to get classified as an auto home and try to re-title. I'll keep all my receipts and generate my notarized statement. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

bunedoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

Re: MA Registration as an "Auto Home"

Hello. How are you making out with this re-title/registration as an auto home?

I've been trying to get the same information out of someone at MA RMV. What is the exact definition of an Auto Home in the eyes of the MA RMV? I've run into Will and several other like him. All of the stories/guidance are different depending on who you talk to.

In the state of NY, in order to register a vehicle as a motor home/auto home, you can pick 4 out of 6 things. There is clear guidance what these 6 items are.

Scoop?

thanks
ipswichsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
bringing back a dead thread

I am about to embark down this road in MA... anyone know the requirements?
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
They won't even let you repurpose the amber lights above the windshield as blinkers? I did that on mine, patched over the reds and converted the flashing reds on the back to brakes and the flashing amber to blinkers.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #5

Updates?

Any new updates on this whole deal. My wife and i started this project before realizing that everything ins ridiculously regulated. i was wondering if one could claim to have "repurposed" the chassis for a "custom/ home built vehicle"?
L.Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote