Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
As far as color change enforcement, most often the cop that sees you does not know it isn't a school bus anymore. The LEO does not see school buses like they see little red sports cars.

people in the bus enthusiast groups im a member of drive yellow busses all the time in their original format.. I dont have any that are yellow any more.. as there was really no "classic" value to my red one being only 16 years old when I got it so I changed its color and my other 2 already were color changed or in the process when they came to me..

but plwnty do drive them all over the country.. none of them have the school name anymore and some of the guys do put a magnetic cover (or fold down) the 'school bus' wording across the top.. most all those guys have working reds and maybe yellows.. and working stop signs.. none of them are registered as "school bus" unless someone is a private contractor bringing their owner operated route bus on one of our caravan trips (and they do sometimes)..

the only attention we have ever had from one of our caravans or cruise-ins from LEO has been "how cool is that you guys collect old busses just like others collect old cars!, This is great." and will often take pics for their PD's social media pages after asking permission..

the busses are registered and insured in a myirad of different ways from actual school bus to private van to RV to private coach.. since we often converge from different states there are many different plates..

we dont have hippie-couches strapped to the top of our busses or shoddy half-baked looking conversions, no one smokes pot while driving or has a beer open.. (some of the busses are converted.. esp old coaches).. they all look like RV's or original busses)..

many states dont even require inspection to get RV plates.. as far as i know all states require you to sign a paper that says RV requirements are met.. its purely on you if you sign the sheet and it doesnt meet the requirements.. chances are if the bus is never wrecked or drivebn recklessly it wont be an issue but in the event of any accident or mis-hap then it easily could be made an issue.. however the like;ly thing would be a charge for driving an unregistered vehicle as im assuming if you sign an RV paper and your bus doesnt meet the reqs then its registration is or can be voided by the state..

point being build a nice rig and dont give anyone reason to notice you in other than a positive way!

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
point being build a nice rig and dont give anyone reason to notice you in other than a positive way!
Well said!
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Of course being a PoC or visibly active leftie protestor type **shouldn't** result in petty rules being rigidly enforced, but. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote