Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #1

Michigan short bus insurance/ title newbie

Hello all I’m new to the bus stuff but I’ve been looking at rvs for months now and I just can’t justify the money people ask for a 20+ year old chassis . I’ve now started to look into a short bus , I’m a mechanic for a municipality and we have 3500 Chevy duramax bus’s. That being said I am familiar with the chassis and drive train , upfitting for my needs should be a fun family project. My worries as I’ve recently started reading on this forum is that I may have titling issues and insurance issues . My thought is that the title and insurance should be that of a 3500 Van am I wrong in that and the title will say bus on it ? I’m looking to get a 3500 Chevy 04-08 duramax short school bus .again I’m new to this so if these are dumb questions I apologize

Codybrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
From the get-go it is the up-fitter of the bus body that calls the bus designation so not a 3500 van. Some folks have had luck insuring these buses on a commercial policy until they are converted to a "motor home" or "house car" at which time insurance becomes less of a problem and cheaper. You'll hear lots more I'm sure!
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
Bus Geek

If needed for rego

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/how-to-immediately-register-your-bus-as-an-rv-without-conversion-15292.html#post165864
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

If you find insurance is difficult

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/howto-find-insurance-for-your-state-28907.html#post352597
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
When I changed our bus title, the Michigan SOS wanted to see receipts for a cooking area, a sleeping area and a toilet. No inspection was required (check for current requirements at the SOS website). I had receipts for a few of those and made up receipts for the rest. Commercial titles are based on weight and motorhome titles are based on the original purchase price of the vehicle. The Michigan SOS website has an "Ad Velorum" section that lists the yearly registration cost of a vehicle by purchase price. Our bus was originally purchased for $50,000 so our registration cost was about $135/year. Your best bet is to deal with a rural SOS office since they have more experience with converting titles. My Farmington Hills SOS office managed to screw up the conversion 5 times before I finally got a good title.

For insurance I first checked with Allstate and they wouldn't make an offer so I contacted National General and got liability only for $520/year.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #6

Thank you guys I’m feeling more comfortable with my plan to purchase a bus, hopefully all goes well this summer and I can pick one up this fall and start the project !
Codybrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

For all your pre and post conversion insurance needs call Steven at Bleeker insurance in Big Rapids Michigan. +12317962014
Makomike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Only for Michigan policies. I called him.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #9

Yes sorry should have stated that just assumed with the thread name
Makomike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
When I changed our bus title, the Michigan SOS wanted to see receipts for a cooking area, a sleeping area and a toilet. No inspection was required (check for current requirements at the SOS website). I had receipts for a few of those and made up receipts for the rest. Commercial titles are based on weight and motorhome titles are based on the original purchase price of the vehicle. The Michigan SOS website has an "Ad Velorum" section that lists the yearly registration cost of a vehicle by purchase price. Our bus was originally purchased for $50,000 so our registration cost was about $135/year. Your best bet is to deal with a rural SOS office since they have more experience with converting titles. My Farmington Hills SOS office managed to screw up the conversion 5 times before I finally got a good title.

For insurance I first checked with Allstate and they wouldn't make an offer so I contacted National General and got liability only for $520/year.
Thank you very helpful - I am in process of our purchase and will pick-up next week. I will try to post any updates as I learn more.
Heard that there is an SOS outside Flint that has experience on title change over.
My current insurance broker was like trying to not laugh and what I had done - so ..
Thanks much for your post and sharing! SAW
SawsSandBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:19 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3L Allison D3060
Rated Cap: 47 prisoners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomike42 View Post
For all your pre and post conversion insurance needs call Steven at Bleeker insurance in Big Rapids Michigan. +12317962014

FYI Steven no longer works there and they no longer cover conversions.
I'm striking out everywhere.
Sagzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:00 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Mercedes
RV Insurance

If your looking for insurance in MI try Duane at Allstate - 800.255.7828
As of summer 2021 they were still writing for RV Conversions.
I had to sell my Skoolie, so I do not have confirmation if he is still writing.
Not all offices or insurance companies write this policy and they "change" that mind set often.. Help those that do!
For helping all other in the forum, please post where you had acquired your insurance and mention the state your in.
Best and keep helping!
SawsSandBox is offline   Reply With Quote