Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Might need new insurance - MA

So I currently have insurance through Safeco but they keep asking questions and I'm worried they're going to drop it. I already have camper plates since the previous reg was a camper but it seems like Safeco is running off the VIN which pulls up an antique auto.

While not 100% certain I'll need it yet, would like to hear recent experiences with insuring a bus so if the need arises I can fix the issue.

ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Has it been converted to RV status? Has the title been issued that shows it's an RV? If it has, they should accept that is what it is. But insurance companies are finicky.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Has it been converted to RV status? Has the title been issued that shows it's an RV? If it has, they should accept that is what it is. But insurance companies are finicky.
Yes and not sure... registration says it's a motorhome but won't have the new title for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Skoolie

What you don't want is for you to have a claim and have them deny it because of misrepresentation.

Liberty Mutual owns Safeco, and in VA at least, Safeco will not insure a converted bus. It might be different in MA though.

See if National General is available, that's who I insure buses with here in VA.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
What you don't want is for you to have a claim and have them deny it because of misrepresentation.

Liberty Mutual owns Safeco, and in VA at least, Safeco will not insure a converted bus. It might be different in MA though.

See if National General is available, that's who I insure buses with here in VA.
The bus was insured through them before. I sent a copy of my MA reg along with a copy of the previous owners insurance card and that's the last I heard about it, so I should be good. I'm going to look into other companies next year when my policy is up for renewal as I may change my state of residency (hello SD!)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
The bus was insured through them before. I sent a copy of my MA reg along with a copy of the previous owners insurance card and that's the last I heard about it, so I should be good. I'm going to look into other companies next year when my policy is up for renewal as I may change my state of residency (hello SD!)

Good luck!

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:45 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Annnd insurance was cancelled but haven't gotten a reason yet (saw the return charge on my credit card).

So taking recommendations for a mid-remodel motorhome...