Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Minnesota Insurance Help

Hello,

I just called Good Sam to give me a quote and they said their underwriters are unable to give me a quote in Minnesota.

I called National General and they need photos of all four sides, plus photos of the restroom, cooking area and bedroom. They quoted me $667 or 6 months.

Where is everybody from Minnesota getting insurance through?

8window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

AIS Insurance offered me insurance today. About $100 a month...
Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
So i bought insurance online back when i went and bought the bus through progressive for my bus here in MN. They even had the option for school bus converted (professional and non-professional.) Was sent a letter 2 weeks later for the cancellation notice like everyone else here. I have not even attempted to get insurance on it yet as i know it wont be ready for me to take for another year or so, my only worry was to just drive it home to the work spot with everything legal. which it was at that time. went to the to license and registration place on the day i bought it here in North Mankato and they were extremely nice, helped me with everything, told them my plan and they gave me new license plates and tabs but gave me "Y" plates for the time being while i convert it. which is farm truck plates, so it is actually considered a farm truck right now, and most police don't mess with farm equipment around here so im pretty safe for the time being. but after i have converted it i will switch it from farm truck to recreational vehicle and will then insure it, which on paper might look a little better than school bus to recreational vehicle. kind of a bummer hearing your good sam and national general story, i figured those were my options after reading extensively on the forum.Here is what i got after doing the farm truck deal. All thats really left is to paint it, which was on my list anyways.
I hope all this works out, if you have any luck with insurance let me know!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much for you advice and help!

I am guessing in MN, the DMV doesn't do a vehicle inspection when transferring title from school bus to RV?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I called a local Farm Bureau Insurance agent, got a quote for car, my skoolie and renter's insurance. They asked zero questions on the conversion. Within the quote for everything, the skoolie was $197/yr.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Feels good doesn't it!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Here is the form I had to fill out at the DMV, to title it as an RV:

Old 08-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Hell yeah man, very nice. gives me hope when i thought all insurance was lost. $197 is a great deal for a year, not bad at all!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
I did the bus to farm truck thing so a friend could use a bus to move.
No problem at the DMV.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #10

Year: 1995
Chassis: bluebird minibird
Engine: 6.5 gmc
8window, what do you have for insurance, is that liability only?
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Skoolie

Folks need to stop getting quotes from any company who advertises on tv. You really need to find a independent agent.
I saved $500 by switching a year ago to a local agent. I called a agent who is in our off road club & he's going to save me $750 per year on my home & auto. If at all possible bundle them together to get the most discounts available.

My bus insurance is going to be $168 a year.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #12
Skoolie

The underwriters are Southern Insurance company of Virginia

You could Google search them & see if there is a agency that can help you out with them.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Update:

Hi there,

Do you have an update on how things worked out? Were you able to get it converted to an RV title?

Do you remember what names of forms you need?

Tricky now during Covid - not a lot of Google results for "bus to RV title DMV Minnesota".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
So i bought insurance online back when i went and bought the bus through progressive for my bus here in MN. They even had the option for school bus converted (professional and non-professional.) Was sent a letter 2 weeks later for the cancellation notice like everyone else here. I have not even attempted to get insurance on it yet as i know it wont be ready for me to take for another year or so, my only worry was to just drive it home to the work spot with everything legal. which it was at that time. went to the to license and registration place on the day i bought it here in North Mankato and they were extremely nice, helped me with everything, told them my plan and they gave me new license plates and tabs but gave me "Y" plates for the time being while i convert it. which is farm truck plates, so it is actually considered a farm truck right now, and most police don't mess with farm equipment around here so im pretty safe for the time being. but after i have converted it i will switch it from farm truck to recreational vehicle and will then insure it, which on paper might look a little better than school bus to recreational vehicle. kind of a bummer hearing your good sam and national general story, i figured those were my options after reading extensively on the forum.Here is what i got after doing the farm truck deal. All thats really left is to paint it, which was on my list anyways.
I hope all this works out, if you have any luck with insurance let me know!
TravisJ is offline   Reply With Quote