Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #21

where do you live? We can almost throw a rock and hit Arkansas ourselves. ��

NannieNPoppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannieNPoppie View Post
Hey I have a question. Do they consider a composting toilet or camp toilet ok?
Most states allow a compost toilet to meet that requirement. Keep in mind only 4 of the 6 items are required, so a toilet is not mandatory.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #23

Thank you ��
Old 12-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Gillig bros. of hayward ca.
Engine: C180 supercharged cummins
hi.. poppie.. i live in a small town called longrun.. it is near theodosia about 40 miles east of branson..
Old 12-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
MODOT wants to see your bus physically to check out your conversion, if passed they will rivet the new VIN to the inside of your bus next to the old one. Then you will go see the other part of the conversion, the title makers. They sit in a chair and scrutinize your information for stolen items, truthfulness, accuracy, etc, they don't look at the bus physically. Bring lots of receipts and pics and not for the little stuff: toilet, shower, generator, bed, windows, furnace, etc, especially if you paid for help on any of the conversion. They don't care about engine, tranny, rearend, tires, paint job, just conversion stuff that will change yours into an RV. Think of it like this, it's a pissn contest on who can be the cruelest of the 48 states on rejection of home made RV conversions. Cool bus by the way!
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

i am in the middle if a re-model on my bus.. when finished i would like to get it changed to a RV title instead of the bus.. as far as the paperwork i will need to do it, most of the rv specific items i used to build mine came from my old itasca motorhome that i scraped out several years ago, plus some used items i found here and there.. most everything else on the bus i hand fabricated so it is going to be hard to show receipts.. i guess my home depot and wheeler metal supply receipts will work for some.. will find out i guess when i decide to do it ...
Old 12-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #27
Bus Nut

you got friends, I had to be creative on them, think about it. Mine was the same way, a lot of donations from wrecked RV's so no receipts so we generated a few.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannieNPoppie View Post
Hey I have a question. Do they consider a composting toilet or camp toilet ok?
Not sure, I've had my bus ready for the Missouri highway patrol inspection for 2 months now, have had to cancel inspection twice now . Still waiting to receive my title from DOR, which I should receive around Xmas then earliest appointment for STL highway patrol is round January 7th.. I built my own composting toilet and have done kinda bare minimum to meet criteria before I strip everything out and do my roof raise.. can update ya upon inspection results..
Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #29
Bus Nut

So you are waiting on your bus title and ready to surrender it to MODOT after inspection? I think your plan is good, get the RV title then reconstruct with raised roof afterwards, that will get you on the road and cheaper insurance.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
So you are waiting on your bus title and ready to surrender it to MODOT after inspection? I think your plan is good, get the RV title then reconstruct with raised roof afterwards, that will get you on the road and cheaper insurance.

Correct, I'll try to post some pics of my progress tomorrow. Have mounted genny to underside 120V electricity (1), screwed down some pallets for bed (2), table with microwave and single camping propane stove utilizing last two school bus seats for permanent eating area (3) with large cooler stabilized (framed out on the floor to prevent movement but not permanently attached), self-built composting toilet (with urine separator, pretty proud of it actually but will swap out for Natures Head..) (4), suspended water jug above sink with bucket underneath for water (5) and have a couple of small electric heaters I can plug into genny for heat (6)..

Been in Texas for the past month with 80 degree weather and sewed up some magnets into curtains for moveable walls just to make it seem less 'thrown together'.. submitted title app for Bus title 11/5/19, called DOR last Wednesday and they said it should be processed in the next 10 business days.. even though last time I called they said I shouldve gotten it 3 weeks ago from today so we'll see.. heading back to MO this week and can provide up to date photos then.. Have bus out in a storage yard near Foristell now.

Was 'lucky' to get in an accident with my Honda 5 months ago where a drunk guy with a CDL A hit me... I didnt file a police report, saving his job, so he's going to be driving the bus to the inspection for me so I dont get ticketed

But yes, highway patrol requires title in hand for the inspection. Need to check with them to see if I can drive it after inspection with just a class F license or if I have to wait till they actually install the new VIN..
Old 12-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Also, from what I've been told. The receipts for the conversion will be examined at the highway patrol during inspection and not at Jeff city...
Old 12-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #32

Hello, we are about 60 miles west of Branson in Seligman.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

looks like everyone is getting their bus titled as a rv.. i have not done it in the 18 years i have had the bus.. because i dont pay much for insurance, i only have the bare minimum of liability on all of my trucks. the bus is the cheapest of the 5 vehicles i have insured right now.. i have even thought about checking into haggerty collector car insurance for it..

poppie i have been over seligman area a few times buying old cars.. nice area..

i guess i can come up with enough receipts to keep big brother happy if i do decide to go the rv title route..
Old 01-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

Mission Accomplished!

My temporary installations were sufficient to pass the highway patrol inspection in STL. Everything was very basic and the inspector just wanted to check the items off the list. Only thing he noted to me was that I hadn't removed the wordage of 'stop when red lights flash' on the rear. Still passed it (1/14/2020).

I had an acquaintance with a CDL A drive the bus to the inspection for me but upon arrival I was not questioned regarding my inadequate licensing to drive the commercial vehicle. The inspector also said that upon my return for the VIN installation, he would not be doing any sort of inspection at that point, just VIN installing.

I then took my passing 551 form to Jefferson City for the DOR to grill me and was pleasantly surprised (1/15/2020). The agent said she only required 4 receipts of the items used for the conversion. I had receipts attached to photos of all items, including hardware for the propane box I built. She made copies of 4 receipts (big ticket items mainly) and photos and I was shown the new VIN placard immediately.

I'm currently waiting to receive my call from the highway patrol to say "bring the bus here for your new VIN". In Jeff City I was told it was being mailed the following day so hopeful that I will get my call this week or next.

I did not wait for them to replace the VIN to start my demo for my final build. Not sure how much, if any, they'll chew me out for bringing back an RV that does not look like what they initially inspected (completely gutted). Will update once that happens..

One recommendation, just keep a good attitude with everyone and do your research for requirements prior and it shouldn't be too much of a PITA. One minor difference I noted on requirements than previously stated was the form I received did not include a 'required' fire extinguisher rated 2A 10B:C. Not sure if the inspector checked for it, but positive he did not check the rating (original bus extinguisher was not 2A 10B:C so I replaced it).

Will add photos of installations shortly (have to adjust image sizes..).

Hope they don't make a fuss about the current situation (will tidy it up before trekking back for the VIN installation):
Attached Thumbnails
current.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Document received from highway patrol:
Attached Thumbnails
Req1.jpg   Req2.jpg   Req3.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Sufficient installations examples:
Attached Thumbnails
Interior.jpg   bed.jpg   Eating Facilities.jpg   Ice Box.jpg   Toilet.jpg  

Heating.jpg   120V Electricity.jpg   Propane.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
Also, from what I've been told. The receipts for the conversion will be examined at the highway patrol during inspection and not at Jeff city...
Highway patrol did take a gander at these, but DOR is where the magic happens..
Old 01-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
That's a surprising mount of effort compared to Florida rules! All I had to do was bring a letter stating that I added 110v electric and a weight slip.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
That's a surprising mount of effort compared to Florida rules! All I had to do was bring a letter stating that I added 110v electric and a weight slip.
They don't even make me weigh em anymore. They just ask me what to put in for the weight.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
I would not expect MO, to be that tough on getting it changed over. Sounds like something one of the New England states or CA would pull.

There is an added benefit, look Mr RV park it's a brand new unit, here is the reg.. No 10 year rule problems there.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote