Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #61
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
1skoolie noob, yes I found one identical to yours.

MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #62
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
Sportyrick, I am in Moberly. State farm didn't return call. Allstate wants over 1200 for this next year. Not sure what I am going to do. 800 to 1200. If it does that again I am questioning my decision.
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
One of the advantages of State Farm is if you are insured by them, they will insure any vehicle you buy for 7 days to get it home. Even though they would not insure my bus as a bus, it was still covered under the 7 day policy. I know it's real because I had an "accident" at the first gas station I pulled into after purchasing my bus. When the cop arrived I had my agent on the phone. The cop asked to talk to them and had one question, "Is he covered now?" Yes he is, was the reply. Cop handed my phone back and got in his car and left, civil matter.

I pay $4.11 a month for liability
Old 02-17-2024, 01:39 PM   #64

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: International DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
Having just gone through my inspection a few months ago I think I can add some details to this discussion that apply to Mo: Part I) Call and get an appointment FIRST, they are 6 weeks out most of the time, no it won't be tomorrow. Remember to get a temporary travel tag before the day of your appointment to get to and from the inspection process, you will get a ticket if you don't. You will be inspected by the Mo Highway Patrol at one of their inspection stations (there are quite a few) for your compliance within their guidelines of: additional electrical system, running water with TOILET (shower is not necessary) , SINK, a place to SIT AND EAT, COOK, SLEEP etc. I figured they would crawl all over it and look at my wiring, gas lines etc but they don't care if it burns to the ground, they're not technicians, it's just gotta have this stuff to pass. Really they are just keeping you from throwing a mattress, a 5 gallon bucket and an old countertop and sink in it and calling it an RV. Remember each officer will zero in on different things so this is just a generalization. PART II) you will go to the DMV in Jeff City and you will be GRILLED by them in a whole different way! They will cover the paperwork end of things like: surrendering your old title, where you got the stuff to do the conversion, major expendatures, appliances, etc. and you better have receipts for all these with SN's ( to deter theft). If you have most of the stuff given to you then you better have an "affidavit of gift" receipt notorized with SN or you will be considered a thief. A junk yard receipt, new purchase receipt, receipt from a buddy or SOMETHING to prove where it came from is a MUST. Also bring pictures of your appliances and conversion to surrender because they will want some to put in your new DMV file . Part III) After you jump through all these hoops they will mail a new DMV ID tag to the MO Highway Patrol so you can go back to them again in a week or so and let them install it. No they don't trust you to install it yourself but it will only take a few minutes for them to do so and you don't need an appointment this time. By now you have received your new title in the mail and you can go to your local license bureau and get your RV tages. It will be titled as a re-constructed vehicle with the year of construction as the year of the vehicle like they do with homebuilt motorcycles, trailers, dune buggies etc. My '76 is now a 2006 re-constructed Recreational Vehicle. You will need the usual crap to get your plates: insurance, inspection, taxes etc. Now your insurance is dirty cheap, you have no weight limits, anyone with a license can drive, no stopping at most state weigh stations, and most important it is your home on wheels, you can pack legally and national search and seizure laws apply, tell the Gestapo to stay the f#@$ out without probable cause!!! sportyrick!
Just a quick update and confirmation on changing the title in Missouri from a bus to a skoolie. Not a lot has changed since 2006. You can get Form 551 at your local DMV. You'll want to call the Highway Patrol (Jefferson City # 573-526-6262) to schedule your appointment for inspection ASAP - this takes 1-3 weeks to obtain! If you don't have a license plate yet, you'll need to take the appropriate paperwork (insurance, title, etc) to the DMV to get a salvage title to drive to the HP office. Take Form 551 along with all your receipts, including purchase of the bus, to the HP. They want to be sure you didn't steal anything you used to do the conversion. You then need to take the paperwork to the Jefferson City office so they can process the request for title conversion. Take your receipts, original title and pictures of the skoolie. They need to be sure that you paid taxes on what you used for the conversion. You cannot do this step at your local DMV. Once your paperwork is approved, they will order a new VIN to be sent to the HP. You'll then take your skoolie back to the HP to have the VIN installed (in 1-3 weeks). They'll then notify Jefferson City DMV by mail, and you'll get your new title in 1-3 more weeks! Your new title will state that your skoolie is a current year special constructed motorhome. The whole process from inspection to receipt of title took 6 weeks for us. Once you have the title, you can take that with the normal required items to the local DMV to get your license plates. Good Luck!
Sarah A. is offline   Reply With Quote