Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

Montana Registration Question

Hi, first post here but have been browsing for a while.

So, about a month ago I purchased my school bus that I've made like 20 floor plans to build out and went to go buy it from the seller in Washington and return to my home state in Montana to eventually register. This bus is a 33 feet 2004 Thomas front engine flat nose - beautiful bus and just perfect in every way.

Now, the seller that owned this bus had plans to convert it himself and had already removed all the lettering, stop signs, most of the seats, etc. and he had it registered at that time as a normal passenger vehicle weighing about 16.5k pounds, rated for 30k. He told me everything I needed to know and that I didn't need to worry about CDLs, weigh stations, special license, air brake endorsements or any of that with that registration.

So, after a couple of weeks, I go to get the title and registration and ask if we can keep it registered as a passenger vehicle because it may be next year before we even build inside the vehicle. The lady at the counter didn't say much to us but eventually told us that the state of Montana doesn't register buses by passenger or whatever and just registers the vehicle as the vehicle that it is (whatever the VIN says). My new registration no longer says 'Passenger Vehicle', it just says stuff like Thomas Bus, VIN, weight, etc. It does say 'Use type - Regular' but not 100% on what that means. I should also mention that they didn't inspect this bus, ask for pictures, or even mention seats or school bus signage. I didn't even bring the bus to the office.

I checked some resources online and as far as Montana goes (from what I read), a standard drivers license is all that is needed to drive anything as long as it physically weighs less than 26,000 pounds. I believe that becomes irrelevant once registered as a motorhome.

So, my question is, if my bus is simply registered as a Thomas bus and I don't need a special license until it weighs over 26,000 pounds, could I not just convert this bus as it is with this registration and not give a damn unless it starts to weigh over 26,000 pounds? Has anyone had a similar experience or done it this way?

Still trying to figure out insurance but thats its own matter.

busquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Use type - regular

Sounds like you're all set!

at least as far as registration goes, just get the MH before you hit 26K
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
find another source of info such as a dot officer at a permit center as the counter help is not your best source of info. if you have any commercial licence plate on it you must have a cdl. cdl means commercial drivers licence. you can buy a large truck and if you use it and licence it as a personal rv not for hire you dont need a cdl to drive. a rv plate for it is your best bet. if you use your rv to make money then you are crossing that line that requires a cdl.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote