Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2023, 08:23 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmusic@me.com View Post
Nevada Registered expired as of 60 days ago, In Los Angeles, Cal won't register older than 2010. its 2002.

Just trying to make auth happy, and they just really don't want to be.

So frustrating. Now trying to find a Rental of comparable in the Fontana DMV area, which is close to the gentleman who has been helping me that has the Class A license.
Simplest thing to do is renew the Nevada registration...no?

ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:30 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue-Bird All American RE
Chassis: F204270
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC
Cant register it in California due to the Age, and it was last registered by PO in Nevada
jfmusic@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:49 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Cant register it in California due to the Age, and it was last registered by PO in Nevada
Can't you just drive over to Nevada and register it under your name?

take a "ahem", "half legitimate" apartment lease and tell them you just moved in!

I have a Florida license and had no problems registering a truck in texas, with a texas addy.

They didn't ask for no proof of address. Insurance company didn't ask either!
Old 08-27-2023, 08:53 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Not in my name
Old 08-27-2023, 09:00 PM   #25
Bus Nut

The last time I made an inquiry. ALL DMVs are now tied together and they are watching for PO Box being presented as Suites etc. It is a FED thing that was, as I understand it, implemented under TRUMP. Welcome to the new world order.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:52 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
The last time I made an inquiry. ALL DMVs are now tied together and they are watching for PO Box being presented as Suites etc. It is a FED thing that was, as I understand it, implemented under TRUMP. Welcome to the new world order.
It's been this way for a long time. Let's not get political.

As to your plan, I still respectfully suggest that going through all this trouble to get a CA non-commercial Class B license only to let you register your bus in CA...and then, only to drive to NC...is complicating this more than necessary.

To recap, you have a current "regular" CA license. Your bus has expired NV registration in the name of another. You want to drive this combo from CA to NC. Right?

Can you get the seller, in NV, to renew the registration? Pay him/her/them for the renewal fees and a bit for their time...then drive the registered bus to NC. Or, see if you can pay the seller to get a temporary (or trip) permit as some states allow...then drive to NC. Or, even, tape a copy of your title in the back window of the bus and drive to NC (with current insurance). You are unlikely to get stopped and, if you do, you might get a ticket for expired registration...which, in most states, gets dismissed (or the fine is reduced substantially) if you subsequently send them a copy of your new NC registration. All of these seem to be easier and cheaper than getting a non-commercial Class B and then paying CA bus registration fees, only to take the bus to NC. Hopefully, some of these thoughts are helpful. Fingers crossed for you.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Thanks, the PO won't, Nor would I in his shoes, to much responsibility.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:47 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Hello jfmusic, are you categorically against registering it with another state than NC or CA? Montana permits easy LLC creation with vehicle registration to the LLC, no personal residency required.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:51 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Have you gone through the process... Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:25 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
I have not yet done this myself.

It is my current #1 go to option when I do go to get it all road legal. It is discussed a bit here.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/m...ion-41799.html

Can you stand to register it a non-commercial bus and then register it as a motor home in NC after you convert it there?
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #31
Bus Nut

UPDATE:
Progressive turned me down this Morning, But it turns out I didn’t go to the commercial site. So far they have accepted my money for Liability at a ridiculous rate. 1600 and change for the Year. That will change when I move. And Or Register in Montana... which is looking like the fastest way to get through things and then make decisions thereafter.

I would be happy to register at whatever will allow me to drive it legally and then convert it over to RV? Maybe?
It depends on how I can get and keep it insured. Preferably not just liability.

Progressive Said NO this Morning. Geico said no.
Struggling at finding insurance, Been asking for Personal Commercial as a starting point but after the long conversation, they don't want to touch it. State farm agent said do Personal commercial first , Finish the conversion and then reach out for RV insurance but they won't write the Personal Commercial. My frustration is mounting.

Looking at Montana LLC which looks interesting except I will be, If all goes well. Permanent base of operations from NC. And of course, they want their ees and taxes.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:18 PM   #32

I drove my bus from WV to TX with no plates, no DL no registration or inspection.
The hard part will be getting out of CA without the DOT checkpoints reaming you.
Roadlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:33 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Wow!, times change!
On these hallowed pages, I wrote of the caffeinated preacher and our trek from San Jose (California) to Sacramento (California).
1984, during a chilly autumn...
He won the auction bid for ninety-six 40' city busses, and needed to get them a couple hundred miles away.
For drivers, we recruited every breathing soul and their cousins.
Nobody had a commercial-style driving license.
Irregardless, most of our crew lived under bridges without any government identifier whatsoever.
We moved dozens of busses at a time... on Interstate highways and past weigh-stations.
Then, a few months later (dead of winter...), the caffeinated preacher won another auction, this time in Seattle (Worshington).
Some of those (128?, 156?) busses had heaters, most had flow-through ventilation...
...in a blizzard coming south eight hundred miles on Interstate Five
Irregardless, Sacramento was only slightly warmer than Seattle.
And the caffeinated preacher backed his bus half-off a cliff.
True story.
Some people over-think things.
Some people accuse me of under-thinking and just going for it.
Some people think I associate with agovernment (similar to asocial, but not necessarily anti-) types, cowboys and loggers and farmers, those do-it and move on types.
I suppose that could be...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:47 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Murphy is too active in my world, And the greed of counties has escalated to a level of pure evil.
If they can find a reason to ticket they will.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:15 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
Some people over-think things.
Yup...150% ....alot of that going on !
Old 08-30-2023, 06:38 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
You're Waaaaaay over thinking this. Many, Many folks grab their bus and just drive it home. The key here is JUST DRIVE IT HOME. I'm in L.A. and I've helped countless folks learn to drive the stick shift bus and show them how to avoid hitting stuff and such. In ALL cases they only need the Bill of Sale, signed off title from the seller, Proof of Insurance, and a One way trip permit. The proof of insurance is fairly simple if you already have car insurance most carriers will allow you to ferry a bus home. The single trip permits can be bought from any commercial registration business without darkening the DMV doorstep or standing in line for hours. They cost about $25 and are good for I think 30 days or so. Don't worry about getting any kind of commercial drivers license, that's foolish and entirely unneeded.

If you're so worried about it, feel free to remove most of the seats so you can't ever be thought of as engaging in commercial service. Nobody ever has had trouble going home even full of seats. Drive like you have a brain in your head and don't attract attention, don't go through any scales or border checkpoints, you are a PRIVATE owned, non-commercial, not for hire vehicle in transit and out of service. You're just another invisible Skool bus and won't be noticed at all. If you must you can hang an "out of service" sign on the rear or something. Avoid officials along the way and just drive it home.

Stop over thinking it and JUST DRIVE IT HOME. Take care of the legal registration and stuff when you get to your State of residence. As long as you don't drive crazy you won't even be noticed, believe me on this. This isn't rocket science or complicated and it's done every day by many folks.

If you really have a need to worry about things you don't understand... try this on for size. Worry much more about whether the bus will even make it across country without major issues, $$$, and drama. This is the stuff of legendary crossings. Many stories abound of the road mayhem incurred. This kind of worrying should be guaranteed to keep you up many a night. And most likely make your days very exciting.

Forget the legal stuff, that's just paperwork, it's the real world issues of vehicular odysseys that make it so interesting. Yep Murphy will always be along for the ride anyway so make the mad dash home and maybe he won't notice.....much.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:10 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Thanks, I have it at home. I am trying to load up and leave with out the risk of Impounding or hundreds of dollars in fines.

Just because you have been lucky. It doesn't mean anybody else will be.

A NON Commercial B License is MANDATORY in many states for any bus over 26001 lbs
Old 08-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Luck has nothing to do with it. You've been given much good advice here from many others with previous experiences in moving buses cross country. Most of them don't have any kind of commercial licenses either.

If you remove most of the seats you will also improve the profile of the bus to being an RV conversion in process and no repercussions will ensue, if you even draw any attention.

You're being overly paranoid and asking for help and advice and then ignoring what's being offered to help you out. So be it. As long as you continue taking that attitude no one here can help you. You obviously are going to pursue your own course of actions with little regards to our well intentioned collective suggestions.

We've seen this type of behavior before from others soliciting help and then ignoring and or disparaging the help being offered, and acting like they knew better anyway. Eventually our collective response is to ignore your bleating and wish you well in your chosen endeavors. Since you seem to have your mind made up on the matter.

So here's me wishing you well and good luck if you choose not to heed my advice, which there will be no more forthcoming.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:16 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
☝️....what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
Luck has nothing to do with it. You've been given much good advice here from many others with previous experiences in moving buses cross country. Most of them don't have any kind of commercial licenses either.

If you remove most of the seats you will also improve the profile of the bus to being an RV conversion in process and no repercussions will ensue, if you even draw any attention.

You're being overly paranoid and asking for help and advice and then ignoring what's being offered to help you out. So be it. As long as you continue taking that attitude no one here can help you. You obviously are going to pursue your own course of actions with little regards to our well intentioned collective suggestions.

We've seen this type of behavior before from others soliciting help and then ignoring and or disparaging the help being offered, and acting like they knew better anyway. Eventually our collective response is to ignore your bleating and wish you well in your chosen endeavors. Since you seem to have your mind made up on the matter.

So here's me wishing you well and good luck if you choose not to heed my advice, which there will be no more forthcoming.
‐--------------------

That's Right.

Thank you for speaking up, Mike....all that.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:42 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:

A NON Commercial B License is MANDATORY in many states for any bus over 26001 lbs
Register it under 25,000 lbs so you won't need a class B, you can change that later...take out all the seats and you won't need a passenger endorsement...it's that simple folks!

And if it's air brakes, worry about that later on down the road!
Take the written test and have the results sheet with your bus papers...
At worst it will be a fix it ticket...

Don't over think it!