Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What about just doing the bare minimum to get the RV title? Futon, portable toilet, butane stove, wash basin and then after you get your insurance, you “remodel”?

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
What about just doing the bare minimum to get the RV title? Futon, portable toilet, butane stove, wash basin and then after you get your insurance, you “remodel”?
As I understand it, this doesn't really work in PA - they have inspectors that know what a slapped-together van-dwelling interior looks like and they won't approve it. In particular they apparently don't accept the portable toilets - you need either a plumbed one or a real composting toilet like a Nature's Head.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
As I understand it, this doesn't really work in PA - they have inspectors that know what a slapped-together van-dwelling interior looks like and they won't approve it. In particular they apparently don't accept the portable toilets - you need either a plumbed one or a real composting toilet like a Nature's Head.
Well it sounds like it sucks to be you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I have the same problem with insurance. I have a progressive commercial policy that covers me until I modify. Although National General told me they don’t care what the vehicle designation is on the title, they won’t insure until it’s converted. The rep at National General said that it needs to have a bed, stove, sink, bathroom. So I’m going to do what I can like paint and a few mechanicals, get all the parts together and park the thing til it’s done.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
apparently there will be no problems for me to insure a conversion when the time comes - I can get a permit with insurance to move it home, then once the necessary items are in place and the 'Motor Home' is inspected, registering it as a motor home, the license and insurance are straight forward
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Problems come from when the bus needs to be driven around, even interstate, to get various shops to do pro-level work.

Or you just want to take the kids camping for a couple weeks, but the full RV style conversion just isn't ready for inspection yet.

To me, that's what the VT rego idea is best used for. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I have the same problem with insurance. I have a progressive commercial policy that covers me until I modify. Although National General told me they don’t care what the vehicle designation is on the title, they won’t insure until it’s converted. The rep at National General said that it needs to have a bed, stove, sink, bathroom. So I’m going to do what I can like paint and a few mechanicals, get all the parts together and park the thing til it’s done.
Hey Danjo, go to the UserCP and fill out your profile so we know where you're at and bus info. It makes it easier to answer your questions.
Pretty much everywhere has the same requirements for converting a bus to an RV. You are only required to have 4 of the 6 to meet RV requirements.

Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply
Old 05-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Problems come from when the bus needs to be driven around, even interstate, to get various shops to do pro-level work.

Or you just want to take the kids camping for a couple weeks, but the full RV style conversion just isn't ready for inspection yet.

To me, that's what the VT rego idea is best used for. . .
the way it's done here, once a safety check is done, a vehicle can be registered and licensed within the law - if it's still a bus, then it's a bus - if it needs to get to a facility for inspection or repair, you can get a permit to do that - the permit comes with insurance for the time the permit is good for - when the time comes to register it as a motorhome, take it in for inspection using a permit - if it passes inspection, it will be licensed and insured as a motor home - it's strict but straight forward
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Sure but how reasonable that process is, or even allowed at all within the regs, varies enormously from state to state.

For myself, my legal domicile residence can be anywhere I like, even change several times per year, so it makes sense to just use whatever jurisdiction makes my life easier.

Registering my boat for example works best using Colorado, no need to actually go there myself, much less trailer the boat there which would cost thousands.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Speaking of weird laws, I was answering someones question on whether vanity tags in Ill. cost more. I found you could have a regular tag, a personal tag, or a vanity tag.
A personal tag consists of numbers and letters, a vanity tag contains 3 numbers only, or 1-7 letters. So explain to me why a vanity tag should cost more than a personal tag? They are both custom stamped with the same amount of labor.

Standard renewal is $101 ( for all autos?), personal renewal is $108, and vanity renewal is $114.

BCKTLST would be $114, BKTLST1 would be $108.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #31
Bus Geek

It's a money-making scheme for the government, what's wrong with that?

They can charge whatever they like, if you think it's too dear find another way to express your vanity.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What happens when I try and register my 15yo bus in a state that requires a title for any 25yo or newer. I can now never register that vehicle in that state.
I agree with the "tell them you are transferring your registered MH to Pa." The OP said the conversion needed to be inspected, but at this point we are not talking about a conversion, we are talking about a registered RV or MH.
You take the VT transferable registration that says MH to your motor vehicle department and your state will issue a title that says MH. 50 states, 50 different rules and regulations but each will honor the other. I understand that PA as well as some other states will require an inspection of a conversion before they will authorize changing the title to MH from bus, VT does not have such a requirement so this is a work around to circumvent those states that do for those of you who choose to take advantage of it. It really is quite simple, register in VT, ask them to issue registration as a MH, then take that registration to your state and they will issue a title or what ever legal document their regulations state as a MH and not require an inspection since the previous state, in this case VT, already says it is a MH.

Slightly different scenario, I bought a utility trailer from Lowes, came with a title from the manufacturer. My state does not require a title for trailers weighing less than 400 lbs, they only issue transferable registrations which is what they issued me and shredded the title. Does this mean I can't register this trailer in another state that issues a title to trailers weighing less than 400 lbs if I move there. No, they take my states transferable registration and issue me a title.
want2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by want2camp View Post
You take the VT transferable registration that says MH to your motor vehicle department and your state will issue a title that says MH. 50 states, 50 different rules and regulations but each will honor the other. I understand that PA as well as some other states will require an inspection of a conversion before they will authorize changing the title to MH from bus, VT does not have such a requirement so this is a work around to circumvent those states that do for those of you who choose to take advantage of it. It really is quite simple, register in VT, ask them to issue registration as a MH, then take that registration to your state and they will issue a title or what ever legal document their regulations state as a MH and not require an inspection since the previous state, in this case VT, already says it is a MH.

Slightly different scenario, I bought a utility trailer from Lowes, came with a title from the manufacturer. My state does not require a title for trailers weighing less than 400 lbs, they only issue transferable registrations which is what they issued me and shredded the title. Does this mean I can't register this trailer in another state that issues a title to trailers weighing less than 400 lbs if I move there. No, they take my states transferable registration and issue me a title.

Well said!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #34

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: 71
Here’s what I did
1st I moved to Vermont

I asked our agent for the insurance. They wasted a whole day and couldn’t figure it out.
I called Progressive. I told them I wanted a commercial policy for personal/private use.. included I said the “bus” was as no longer a bus because I had removed the seats. I also reregistered it as a Frieghtliner truck until the conversion was completed. As long as it doesn’t have seats, or air brakes or a semi style manual transmission I don’t need a CDL, although I do have one
Cost was $300 a year
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #35

we ran into the same problem in La. we could register it as a bus and have to have CDL - b. or wait til it's finished and register it as Motor home. so we didn't register it at all. just did a bill of sale at the notary and turned in the old plates. parked at the house while retro fitting so don't need insurance. Son and GF don't have permanent address so they will have to use ours for title and insurance.
eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #36

Hi. Just bought my first bus and was denied insurance today in NY. Can I register in VT without INS? Seems to be the place everyone is going. Saw a couple people do that, get a policy just to transport and then re-register in their own state after, or just leave it reg in vt.. Dang, just want to make a camper
prepperman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperman1 View Post
Hi. Just bought my first bus and was denied insurance today in NY. Can I register in VT without INS? Seems to be the place everyone is going. Saw a couple people do that, get a policy just to transport and then re-register in their own state after, or just leave it reg in vt.. Dang, just want to make a camper
Vermont has insurance/financial responsibility law similar to most states. They do not require that you show proof of insurance in order to register it.

However, you will need insurance to get it home.

Check with your insurance carrier for your auto insurance. Many insurance companies offer immediate coverage on vehicle purchases.

Mine offers two weeks automatic coverage.

Because I was dealing with an unusual vehicle I emailed my agent and asked: " I am purchasing a vehicle VIN#224456677788 and need to verify that automatic coverage will be in effect for 14 days?"

My agent responded with a confirmation of coverage. I carried my insurance card from my truck and a copy of the emails as proof of insurance.

I have done this twice recently and had no issues.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #38
Bus Geek

As happy as I was not having to deal with ANY of the issues many run into at DMV, it looks like I as well will be registering in Vt. Only because my tag is available there and not here.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
If you weren't playing the system, you'd have registered it in PA. even though it cost more.
Instead, you're trying a work around of some sticking point in DMV laws where you reside in order to drive your bus.
While it might be legal, it's unethical and could be troublesome for you IF you were ever in an "at fault" motor vehicle accident in it.
But good luck doing what you're trying to do...
If it's legal then it's not unethical...
abnagent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2camp View Post

So I'm in a situation right now though where in Georgia, I don't think there's a RV conversion inspection at all-- basically there's NO conversion registration option here, even when your conversion is complete (except for one county if you reside in it). So I'm getting my MH registration in VT (it's a 94 so no VT title for me), and then basically scrapping my previous GA van title-- but when I apply for a new GA title so it will also say MH like the reg does, I have to get the vehicle inspected overall Since it is without a title, the same way I would with any other car without a title (NOT because it's a MH or conversion).

Since the only document available says that it's a motorhome, I'm assuming that they will write motorhome in the body type on the document for the title inspection too. But, I don't know if they're going to try and run it through some sort of RV/MH qualification process or if I'm going to be at the mercy of the officer I see that day as far as whether they try to argue that it's "clearly a van" despite having MH body style listed on the VR t-reg.

Has anybody dealt with this, where they're in a state where there's not even a completed conversion RV registration option available, so you then have to go through a completely generalized re-titling inspection process even if you clear the VT MH reg???
breezymagick is offline   Reply With Quote