Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
National General

Just a heads up about getting insurance with National General. I have them, good price, (500.00 year). But they have a policy that I find very disturbing and may even be illegal. If you have other people living in your household they require proof that they have insurance even if they will not be a driver on the policy. Other people have no relevance whatsoever to the bus being insured. They might as well require proof of insurance from your neighbors.
I find this policy way out of line and have yet to receive a valid answer from them.
Now that the person living in my house has move they want proof that she lives somewhere else.
THIS IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
Just a heads up about getting insurance with National General. I have them, good price, (500.00 year). But they have a policy that I find very disturbing and may even be illegal. If you have other people living in your household they require proof that they have insurance even if they will not be a driver on the policy. Other people have no relevance whatsoever to the bus being insured. They might as well require proof of insurance from your neighbors.
I find this policy way out of line and have yet to receive a valid answer from them.
Now that the person living in my house has move they want proof that she lives somewhere else.
This is what happens when half of society whines about "regulation".

Effective regulation is how we ensure that everyone is treated fairly.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I would ask them for a list of everyone in my household that needs insurance, info I'm sure they don't have, and to show proof that they live there. If they can't provide that then they can't impose that clause. I don't have to prove to them that the rest of the world doesn't live in my house. Typical insurance modus operandi, take as much money from your members as possible and then find every reason possible to not honor a claim.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
I,m finding out something interesting. You can get 3 differant answers to the same question. 2 people said I need proof the other person did not live with us any more. They also said I could not go on a monthly payment plan. Another said I don't need proof and just removed her, and put me on a payment plan. He was a little pissed that I was given the wrong info. I have had good service from them otherwise.
The best advice I can give is ... When they ask if others are in your household, say no. And if something doesn't make sense, ask someone else.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
They did ask for all the licensed drivers in my household and I thought that was weird because my husband wants nothing to do with the bus, but he was going to be covered to drive it as well, whether we liked it or not. Progressive me saying it was me that drove it and that's it. National General was ok with leaving my son off the policy; he's away at college but does still live here for purposes of voting and his driver's license and bank statements are sent here. It is pretty easy to prove he goes to college I guess. If your SO had a DUI or something it seems like that would be a big problem also. I wouldn't lie because being married lowers your rate doesn't it? And also if you lie to them about anything they can probably weasel out of paying if anything happens and it might even be considered insurance fraud. Definitely not good. Just use another company if you disagree with their policy - unless it really is illegal in your state. Every state has (I think) something like an insurance commission or regulator that you can complain to or at least ask if this is legal. They may even have a website which tells you the rules.