Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #1

Nc insurance??

okay so we had insurance (or thought we did) & paid for the first month & then progressive canceled on us without even an email.. so now here we are scrambling again. i least a message for the Napoleon guy I saw in one thread, but i’m starting to panic a bit.

1997 International Thomas 3800 will be registered in NC

please please please i’m going in circles i feel like. we’ve tried state farm & progressive obviously. i tried to go through national general but they tried to switch me to progressive bc it’s too old to get comprehensive with them? please please please help i’m so desperate

azkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
I'm in NC and have mine through State Farm........try there.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i use nationwide and two buses now they have never batted an eye.
elizabeth velthoven 1-910-326-3041.
its a comercial policy bus for personel us but is not stupid expensive.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: CE
Chassis: International
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29,500
I'm north of Raleigh (Louisburg). I have National General (an Allstate company) insurance. Liability only. I had Progressive for a month, but they dropped me once they saw it was a conversion-in-progress. They promised to re-evaluate once it's re-titled as an RV.
headdownlow0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:49 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
I paid $130 for 6 months liability. call jason bass nc farm bureau he's my agent and he told me to refer people(must live in NC) but make sure you talk to him all agents are different they are private contractors. work 919-554-0349 or cell 919-795-9739 tell him Clyde Hutchison referred you I don't get anything out of it just good vibes haha. he insured it as an rv before I even picked it up from the school in Alabama.
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Try state farm, but use a local agent not an 800 number. The agent will have to walk the policy through underwriting which can take some time and effort.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Best way to do it send it off to get it titled in Vermont totally legal once it’s titled in Vermont you can take it to the DMV in North Carolina and they will title it as a recreational vehicle I don’t know of any company that will give you insurance on a Skooly if they know it’s an old school bus you have to have five things done to it to be able to get it titled as a recreational vehicle before you can get it insured easiest way is to get it titled in Vermont
roxious55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxious55 View Post
Best way to do it send it off to get it titled in Vermont totally legal once it’s titled in Vermont you can take it to the DMV in North Carolina and they will title it as a recreational vehicle I don’t know of any company that will give you insurance on a Skooly if they know it’s an old school bus you have to have five things done to it to be able to get it titled as a recreational vehicle before you can get it insured easiest way is to get it titled in Vermont
It's super easy in NC and you don't have to paint it. Above I gave info to an agent who will insure you and I made a YouTube video on the whole process of titling/registering as a "House Car"----
it is soooo easy. Vermont method it can't legally be yellow, it's more expensive, technically you are supposed to get it inspected in Vermont(not enforced). I would personally rather be legit.'

If anyone wants or needs my help with anything even staging your rig for the inspection dm me and I will send you my contact info.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126 / MD3060
I actually got progressive insurance through my insurance agent at Blinson Insurance in Clayton NC. I tried to get the commercial vehicle for personal use, but they said they don't do that. Then they came back and asked me if I was converting the bus to a motorhome. I said yes, and that the seats were removed already, along with all the school bus lettering and signs. They then wrote me a policy for the bus as a motorhome for a year. No fuse. Very easy.

Now I'm sure they may not last too long once progressive finds out it's still an in progress conversion. We only paid for liability for the year, and this was so we could go pick it up from GA last weekend.
bb12489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #10

Thank you-Clyde Hutchison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
I paid $130 for 6 months liability. call jason bass nc farm bureau he's my agent and he told me to refer people(must live in NC) but make sure you talk to him all agents are different they are private contractors. work 919-554-0349 or cell 919-795-9739 tell him Clyde Hutchison referred you I don't get anything out of it just good vibes haha. he insured it as an rv before I even picked it up from the school in Alabama.
Thank you- Clyde H. I call your man Jason B., He cover my bus - great deal . Thank you
BUSBOY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #11
Skoolie

no problem brother! we need to do a NC skoolie meet up next year, it seems like there's more of us than I thought

Tags
help needed, insurance, urgent