Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2023, 12:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 72
Question Need New Jersey Bus Registration Help!

Hello everyone! I'm new here. I recently purchased a 1999 International 3800 bus at an absolute steal, so I had to rush my Skoolie conversion plans ahead. Unfortunately, that means I now have to deal with the headache of getting the bus registered. Right now, I don't have the funds to convert it. I just want to get it registered as a bus so I can drive me and my friends around for a bit, and get the conversion underway once I can afford to. I've been reading through a lot of the forums about titling and such, and from what I can tell, NJ is the absolute worst with registering buses! I know the Vermont approach has closed very recently, so I'm kind of SOL.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice? I got lucky with this bus as the previous owner had it registered as a "Bus" and not a "School Bus" and already took care of removing the signage, stop sign, lights, etc. Do you guys think I'll be able to register it normally? I even called the DMV about this and got mixed answers (they told me that it will either be fine or I'll have to go through Foreign titles and get a reconstructed title?). The title also does not list the weight of the vehicle and it does show a seat cap. of 72, so I'm wondering if that would be an issue as well. I have an appointment to get it registered on Tuesday but I want to know if I should go in expecting the worst or not lol.

Also, I think it would be good to mention that I was able to get insurance on it, so that's not an issue. I noticed a lot of you mentioning Progressive Commercial for Personal use and that worked perfectly for me! It's also much cheaper than my normal insurance, which is amazing!

Thanks everyone!

Payin_Bills is offline   Reply With Quote