Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Nevada RV Registration

I searched for a thread on Nevada registration requirements, and didn't find one, so I thought I would share my experience here. I just purchased a bus located in Colorado and my husband will be picking it up later this week, then attempting to title/register it in Nevada.

I called the DMV and said I had purchased a bus which is undergoing a conversion to an RV. After being transferred to several different departments, my call landed in the Emissions Lab, which seemed to have the most information. They said you change the bus to a Nevada title (I have 30 days to do this, during which no insurance is required, since the bus will be declared non-operational), and then proceed with the conversion while still titled as a bus. After the conversion, you fill out an affidavit of non-operation and they give you a movement permit, which gets you to the inspection location.

The inspection has two parts: interior and mechanical. The mechanical/safety inspection is based on form VP-64, which can be found here: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/vp064.pdf

But the interior inspection happens prior to that. To qualify as an RV in Nevada, a vehicle must have:
1) Sleeping quarters. I asked if that meant a framed-in bed. He said yes, it couldn't be a mattress on the floor.
2) Cooking quarters. A Coleman stove on a countertop wouldn't be enough; it needs to have a plumbed kitchen and any cooking elements should be built-in.
3) An eating area. It didn't specify built-ins, but he said everything needs to be permanently attached.
4) A restroom with toilet and holding tank. I told him I was planning to install a composting toilet, which would not have a black tank.
Answer: "Then it's not an RV."
"So you're saying that no RV registered in the state of Nevada has a composting toilet?"
"I'm just reading what's on the paper, ma'am."
I'm not sure how that works. Short of registering in a different state (which is still a possibility), I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get around this. The conversion requirements look very strict, although I can't find them in writing anywhere on the Nevada DMV website.

Additionally, vehicles over 26,000 GVWR are exempt from needing a CDL when classified as an RV, but Nevada does require a non-commercial class B license when >26,000.

Again, this is just my experience. I hope others will have more to add.

phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Hello hello

I'm answering because I noticed that you only recently posted your concerns re: Converting a bus into an "RV". I've had almost the exact same issues with the DMV in Alaska a number of years ago, when I tried something similar. I feel that in our Land of Unlimited Possibilities it is a shame that personal expression and solutions to challenges are no longer permitted.

If this will help you folks or not I don't know, but I've heard from a friend in New Mexico, that a person can get a school bus title changed into an RV title, just by going to a DMV office and asking that to be done. Following up on that by calling one of their DMVs, I learned - as someone from another state - that to register any vehicle in NM, one needs to have proof of living there, even if only part time. Required would be some sort of property tax receipts, utility or rent receipts etc.

Years ago, I was lucky enough to insure a 6-row 'camper' bus with GMAC, who is now out of business, but not since then. I don't see, why DMVs don't allow the idea of 'Camper', like the zillions of VW campers out there, who also don't have plumbing, have no toilets or showers, but still accommodate their folks in a way that's safe for the environment and themselves. I'd like to hear what further progress you guys were able to achieve since you posted. Good luck.
CouchTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut

As far as the flush toilet thing get a plastic drum off CL and fit it to the bottom with a valve and hook up a used rv toilet in the bathroom, you probably don't need to cut a hole in the floor I doubt they will try to flush it. Get a used cooktop also from craigslist or an rv one from ebay. You really shouldn't be using a Colman stove like that anyways from a safety stand point. Table BJURSTA Wall-mounted drop-leaf table - IKEA that looks built in to me and you could use some of the old bus seats for a dinette. A Sofa sleeper would probably do the trick too. Thats what mane $300 worth of parts that you can sell later.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the great and useful information. I'm just in the market for another bus and appreciate anything that helps in planning my little camper.
CouchTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #5

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 24V
Rated Cap: 77
passing tests

I agree with capitaninsano - If you just get everything plugged into to get the vehicle registered as an RV, you can do whatever you want afterwards.

I'll be following up here later once we get our bus converted to a tiny home. I'm confident I'll be registering it in Nevada so I'll share that story when the time comes.
independentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
As far as the flush toilet thing get a plastic drum off CL and fit it to the bottom with a valve and hook up a used rv toilet in the bathroom, you probably don't need to cut a hole in the floor I doubt they will try to flush it. Get a used cooktop also from craigslist or an rv one from ebay. You really shouldn't be using a Colman stove like that anyways from a safety stand point. Table BJURSTA Wall-mounted drop-leaf table - IKEA that looks built in to me and you could use some of the old bus seats for a dinette. A Sofa sleeper would probably do the trick too. Thats what mane $300 worth of parts that you can sell later.
This is ludacris. Search for the thread on Vermont registration and forget all of Nevada's BS -- particularly the part about composting toilets. If you fill everything out right you can have Vermont plates in 3-4 weeks or sooner.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

So any reason why people want the title changed to a Motorhome? I just got back from the DMV. Needed a moving permit for my bus. He told me to just leave it titled as a SB and then convert it to a MH. I have it insured as a SB and it's only 68 bucks a month. That's full coverage. He also stated that you don't need the inspection done when converted to a MH for a new title. Unless you change the motor, roof, or frame.
Mrtoad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:00 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
for mine i dont see doing it.
i am insured and registered as a bus for personal use on two and if i want to change them to motor home or RV title then they want me to change the monetary value from the old school bus value to what i think the motor home/rv value is.
probably so they can tax me more which makes insurance go up as well.
thats in NC other states vary.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:40 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtoad25 View Post
So any reason why people want the title changed to a Motorhome? I just got back from the DMV. Needed a moving permit for my bus. He told me to just leave it titled as a SB and then convert it to a MH. I have it insured as a SB and it's only 68 bucks a month. That's full coverage. He also stated that you don't need the inspection done when converted to a MH for a new title. Unless you change the motor, roof, or frame.
I should have been specific on what state. This was at the NV DMV.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:47 AM   #10

Any more luck in NV? I'm now getting cited in Clark County NV (Las Vegas) for having a "commercial" vehicle in my driveway.
LeepinLeemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:29 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeepinLeemur View Post
Any more luck in NV? I'm now getting cited in Clark County NV (Las Vegas) for having a "commercial" vehicle in my driveway.
I'm registered as a school bus in Washoe county. But I'm not parked on the street. I have my title and it is registered as a school bus.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm registered as a school bus in Washoe county. But I'm not parked on the street. I have my title and it is registered as a school bus.
Thanks! Yeah mine is parked on my property where most people have RVs or trailers. Though I have seen a house in the area with a full size old school bus in the driveway.
LeepinLeemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 09:17 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeepinLeemur View Post
Thanks! Yeah mine is parked on my property where most people have RVs or trailers. Though I have seen a house in the area with a full size old school bus in the driveway.
Also, my bus is a short bus. I'm at about 12,500 GVWR. The lady at the DMV asked what I wanted to put the GVWR at, but I just went off the old title weight.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:48 PM   #14

Hey there everyone! I just wanted to share my recent experience at the Nevada DMV, so hopefully other folks can have an easier time registering their conversions. I showed up to a rural DMV with my title from New Jersey. My original title identifies my skoolie as a bus. I was told that I would need to visit either Las Vegas or Reno to get a VIN inspection if I wanted to change the designation on the title. Do not bother going to any DMV to get a VIN inspection outside these two cities... even if they claim to do VIN inspections, they cannot change titles for skoolies. You need an appointment to file your paperwork at a DMV in Vegas or Reno, but you do NOT need an appointment to get a VIN inspection. Simply drive up to the VIN inspection line and tell them you are trying to correct your title.

Unless you have a permanently installed, non-removable cooking source and blackwater tank, you CANNOT change your title to "motorhome". If you have these things, I believe there are some additional steps you also have to fulfill. Regardless, I didn't meet these qualifications, but the VIN inspector was able to change the designation of my title to "vehicle- campervan", which apparently is a less regulated designation. I went to the North Las Vegas DMV to get the VIN inspection. I then took my paper from the VIN inspection to a non-metro DMV, in my case the Mesquite DMV (which doesn't require appointments) and was able to register my short bus as a campervan for $125.

I hope this helps! It took me a trip to 5 different DMVs to figure all this out. Good luck with the hoop jumping, you'll get there in the end.
dieselbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:11 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Rated Cap: 29
I might as well update with South Carolina's method.

You have to meet a certain amount of criteria, they aren't very specific on what that is exactly, but they want paperwork, and receipts of items bought and used for the conversion, pictures of the outside and inside, to prove the bus seats are removed and make a request with your DMV and send all of the pictures (in printed paper form put into a packet) to the DMV in Blythewood SC which is the main DMV Headquarters for SC, and they have a guy there who has been given the only power to change a Commercial Bus to RV on a title. This can take up to 1 month, and if he's convinced you've converted it to an RV, they'll ship you a new title with RV on it. They will not convert to an RV if it's half way done, it needs to look complete enough to where you can sleep in it, and have a small kitchen in and some RV style seating. At least from what I'm told Bathrooms optional. And they want copy of receipts of kitchen appliances etc, so save all of those. This is in case you faked your pictures from another RV, if they have receipts for kitchen or RV appliances bought for it they know you are serious. (Print them out if online purchases) They won't take anything digitally by email or text. Has to be printed form, and they keep the stuff you send them and put it on file, so don't send original receipts, just scanned copies will suffice.

If you meet the criteria I'm told it's pretty likely to happen. South Carolina's main goal is to make sure it's not going to be used as a commercial bus again. They don't tolerate people converting buses to RV's to then put the seats back in and use for commercial reasons and avoid taxes so they need to see the changes done and completed in photo form and receipts, and they want those on records if there's any questions about it down the road in any kind of future investigations.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:17 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:

In SC Commercial Bus registration is like $1200 a year. RV/MH registration is like $200 a year. This is why.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:09 PM   #17

Hi I don't now if this is going to the right thread but I want to register a school bus I just purchased but my address is in Ausralia. DMV want a American address.
Skippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote