Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
New to this - need advice for MD title and insurance

Hello:

We are bus conversion rookies, but very enthusiastic about what lies ahead of us.

We bought a 2000 Thomas school bus, 3/4 length (about 28 ft), with about 63K miles. It came partially converted (no seats, new subfloor, some framing, solar panels, batteries, etc).

We have read many threads about how to title and insure a bus, but we are not sure what would be best for our situation:

1) We have a title (from DC) signed over to us. It says B (bus).
2) We currently don't have insurance and looking for one.
3) We have it parked at a relative's back yard and are not planning to move it until we are done with the conversion.

Do we need to have the bus insured if we want to go to MVA to apply for a title in our names?
If yes, any recommendations about finding an insurance company willing to insure a bus?
Has anyone used the form VR-095 (Certification for Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle Registration) where you can check the box saying it's a converted bus (no seats, no flashing lights, no yellow)?

Thanks.

dom_the_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Your bus will need to be insured to operate it on any roadway. Whether you will have to show proof of insurance to register depends on your state. MOST require proof while applying. There are numerous active threads on the insurance issue. Search the recent topics for them.
VR-095 is a new one on me.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_the_bus View Post
Hello:

We are bus conversion rookies, but very enthusiastic about what lies ahead of us.

We bought a 2000 Thomas school bus, 3/4 length (about 28 ft), with about 63K miles. It came partially converted (no seats, new subfloor, some framing, solar panels, batteries, etc).

We have read many threads about how to title and insure a bus, but we are not sure what would be best for our situation:

1) We have a title (from DC) signed over to us. It says B (bus).

2) We currently don't have insurance and looking for one.

3) We have it parked at a relative's back yard and are not planning to move it until we are done with the conversion.

Do we need to have the bus insured if we want to go to MVA to apply for a title in our names?

If yes, any recommendations about finding an insurance company willing to insure a bus?

Has anyone used the form VR-095 (Certification for Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle Registration) where you can check the box saying it's a converted bus (no seats, no flashing lights, no yellow)?

Thanks.

I just got insurance in MD, bout to start the journey of registering, although you do have the correct form.
Rberriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Hello there. Can you share with us details about your insurance in MD? Thanks.
dom_the_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #5

What insurance company??
laurenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
Almost There

Yes I got mine through

Frank D. Spicer Jr. Insurance Agency
11781 Lee Jackson Memorial Hwy, St. 620
Fairfax, VA 22033
Office: 703-385-5100 ext. 232
Fax: 703-385-4418
Email: debby@eriespicer.com
Rberriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

thank you so much- just gave them a call and going to speak to Debbie tomorrow. Everyone has been very skeptical to insure, they are asking who referred me...do you mind sending me a DM of your name so I can let them know? Thanks again!!
laurenart is offline   Reply With Quote