Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie questions about license/brakes/etc

We are currently in Missouri and looking at purchasing a bus for conversion. We've go so many questions.

How do you manage to get a bus home without getting a ticket? This is assuming you don't have a cdl.

Air vs hyd brakes. Or will I be required to carry a cdl because a bus has air
brakes?

There are a lot of grey areas that worry me. The biggest being those two.

We're looking for a largish bus.. maybe 40' er. speaking of which, is there a place I can find out how long a bus is? I see buses advertised via seat capacity but never length.

Thanks for your patience.

pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdreams View Post
We are currently in Missouri and looking at purchasing a bus for conversion. We've go so many questions.

How do you manage to get a bus home without getting a ticket? This is assuming you don't have a cdl.

Don't do anything stupid that will attract the cops. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

Quote:
Air vs hyd brakes. Or will I be required to carry a cdl because a bus has air brakes?
No. Class As and coach conversion have air brakes, and they don't have a CDL. I checked with the NJ DMV about that on a Class D, and not required, however, check with Mo DMV for local variations.

Quote:
There are a lot of grey areas that worry me. The biggest being those two.

We're looking for a largish bus.. maybe 40' er. speaking of which, is there a place I can find out how long a bus is? I see buses advertised via seat capacity but never length.

Thanks for your patience.
Check the manufacturer's websites for length (in inches). But usually a 14 window bus is around 40'

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
I got insurance on the bus before driving it. I figured that if I ended up encountering the police without registration/temporary tags and a CDL they might at least be impressed by the insurance and cool story about turning it into an RV. Technically, if it's still titled as a bus and has enough seats you're supposed to have CDL. But I took my chances and believed in my ability to tell a cool enough story to talk my way out of a ticket.

I drove like there was a kilo of columbian bam-bam strapped under the bus. So I didn't get pulled over.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

austin. what type of insurance did you get? IE did you tell them it was for an rv or ?

If it's across town I don't worry so much, the ones were finding seem to be about an 8 hour (and two state over) trip.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
I got progressive RV insurance online. They dropped me two weeks later because progressive doesn't insure RVs. It was enough to keep me legal though. They wouldn't have paid if I crashed. It was just a $30 piece of paper that the government requires. My bus was one state over and 5 hours away. That was a long day, but we got it. We left around 7am and didn't get home until after 2am.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote