Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
newbie with an old bus

Hi everybody from Haysville KS!!
Well I just re-registered my bus here in Kansas.
I have been pulling my hair out trying to find insurance for this thing. Seems there is a big dark cloud that hangs over them that says "SCHOOL BUS" " DO NOT INSURE"!! OR... "hey as an insurance company heres our chance to put the screws to ya and we will insure your "SCHOOL BUS" but you have to turn over ALL of your insurance business to us." Then one day I sat down on the internet and started googling school bus conversions and that brought me here. Some one on one of the threads I read mentioned he had called GMAC and within 10 mins he had insurance. Well I immediately called the number given on the post. which turned out to be a clamis number but they got me transferred to a very nice lady named Jessica who I explained my situation to and the first words from her were "Well thats not gonna be a problem" My spirits soared and we chatted for a bit and I told her all about my bus and all the problems I've had. So... several mins later and $225 per 6 months I checked my email and printed my brand spankin new insurance card!!!!!
So this morning I hopped in the ol pickup and headed to the tag office. (a satelite office not the main one) Anyway let me back up a bit. My dad passed in 2007 so I inheirited the bus from him. Its been sitting for the past 5 years at my uncles place. When I was in the tag office transferring the title on his truck I asked about the bus too. The lady looked it up and she told me wow you are lucky... See Dad somehow had this thing registered as a light truck. I dont know how?? Anyway she told me I wasnt supposed to have it regged like that BUT When the time comes to tag it her advice to me was to make sure I have all my correct papers I.E. death cert, and legal papers that says I inheirit my dads stuff. Then just come in to the office, keep my mouth shut and tell them that "heres the this, I want it transferred from my dad to me and then I wanted to put an antique plate on it". Some other worker pipes up and says "You cant antique plate it because it weighs over 15,000 pounds". OK fine whatever.... So today I went in there with my trap shut and told them heres this title, I want it transferred to me and registered so I can drive it oh yeah and I would like to put an antique plate on it since its a 1969 model. Well.... all was well, she had the antique plate in hand and I thought yee haw its a done deal!! So.... Stupid me.... OPENED my trap and began to be friendly and tell her about my bus and how much trouble ive had getting insurance on it since it was a BUS but its actually been converted to a RV, yadda yadda yadda.... So she then says "OH it has electrical wiring and plumbing"??? "Well yah" I say "its real nice inside blah blah blah". "Well since its been modified from its original configuration from the manufacturer, we have to tag it as an RV and cant put the antique plate on it". So... 75 bucks later, Im on my way home with an RV plate and registration. OK fine no big deal thats probably the correct way to do it anyway. But I'm still gonna give the antique plate thing a shot one more time in about 6 months. Let the sleeping dogs lie for a while and then try keeping my trap shut again and see if I can railroad it through.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
Re: newbie with an old bus

By the way....
1969 Chevrolet Bluebird 65 passenger.... RV ITS not a BUS!!
My dad bought the bus about ohhh 20 ?? years ago from a church. They had driven it back from Denver at about 35 mph INTO a headwind in 5th gear. This is a good way to drop a piston into the oil pan and now the thing is worthless. So Dad bought it from the church for next to nothing and put in a used 350 Chevy 4 bolt main. Dad then completely stripped the interior and then he bought a wrecked 19?? Royals International camper trailer. He then took all the parts from inside it and transferred them into the bus. So I'm pretty proud of it and I will get some pics of it up on the site in the gallery as soon as I figure out how to post them.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: newbie with an old bus

Sounds like a simple enough way to get it converted to a RV title, we have to jump through hoops here in Virginia... Glad it's all working out for ya.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote