Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2023, 06:32 PM   #1

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7
NJ/PA questions for title conversion

Hello all,

Iím new here and to this conversion adventure. I just purchased a bus to convert and need to get it insured and get it home. Iíve read through quite a few threads already in this section about strategies for title conversions and registration but Iím still a little confused about which way to go or what the best route would be in my case. The bus is a 2005, with a clear Maryland title. I live in NJ but my fiancť has property in PA so we sort of have two options for the moment as far as registering itís home state as weíre not married yet. Iíve read about the out of state Vermont process others have tried but Iím confused about that as well. It seems some have also said they ran into major issues that way so it makes me nervous. I just wanted to get opinions here before I make any moves. I donít want to do anything to the paper trail of the bus thatís going to bite me later. My main goal is to get it registered and insured as soon as possible so that itís legal to drive if need be during the conversion process, not to just be a driveway ornament until itís ready.

Im trying to figure out if itís better to ultimately shoot to have the bus retitled and registered as a MH in NJ or her place in PA. I know PA is a stickler when it comes to inspections and since the bus is not yet converted that might be out the window anyway. Weíre going to work on that over the next year. I have no experience doing this in NJ either though so I donít know which is better.

The second more pressing issue is obtaining insurance to drive the bus home this week. Iíd like to pick up the bus as soon as possible. The dealer can provide temp plates/registration Iím sure but where would be the best place to look for immediate liability insurance in NJ? I already have allstate for my personal vehicles and I read someone else mention they were able to get conversion insurance through them so Iím going to email my agent and ask. If anyone has any other suggestions or backup options that would be great.

Iím sure Iíll have other questions but Iím happy to have found this group for the rest of our journey and thanks for all in advance.

9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:15 PM   #2

Did you find an option that worked?

Following for answers.
Ktool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:41 PM   #3

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7
Nope.. haven’t even tried yet. My temporary tags expire in 30 days and no one here has replied yet.
9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:15 PM   #4

If you go the NJ route. NJ needs a weight receipt. Weigh your bus before tags expire so you have it when submitting as an RV. GOOGLE truck scales for services closest to you.

I'm looking for temp tags and insurance now to knock the weight receipt of NJ MVC bus conversion check list.

Where did you get temp tags, registration and ins?

Good luck.
Ktool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If you have no other options, retitle it in PA as a school bus, then mail in form MV-42 to change the body type from school bus to motorhome. Don't do the body type change at a PA tags & title clerk because they may make you go through the more difficult process that applies to "modified vehicles" (this requires a special inspection and sign-off from a certified mechanic that did the conversion). Once you get the motorhome title back in the mail, you can then register it as a motorhome in PA the normal way and get your plates.