Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2024, 12:29 PM   #1

NJ Skoolie Insurance

I am in the state of NJ, i have essentially called all Insurance agencies in the state and they told me no go for converted skoolie.

Some have said that they need to be "professionally" built, while failing to give me the requirements or who falls under that umbrella.

All the forums on here are older and seem to be outdated, so wondering if anyone has done anything or had success recently?

Jan 9 2024 Post is being made.

Sidenote: Bus was registered in VT initially and then attempted to get insurance there and because lack of Address in the state they couldn't insure there.

How i see it, i got two options. Lie on a form which inevitably i know they will see bus chasis at some point, making it ineffective, and i dont want to do that or going out of state and using a relatives address?

Looking for ideas. Thanks

t&cbuslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:32 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I know how hard it is to get insurance here, but it’s not impossible. I was able to get a commercial policy for private use from Progressive, after getting my conversion titled as an RV and showing them photos of my running water, bed, bathroom and kitchen. It cost me about $500 a year. Try contacting Gonzalez and Company Insurance Agency (201) 869-6409 or visit their website or Chris Cline - GEICO Insurance Agent. He is a local GEICO agent who can provide commercial auto insurance for private use, which may suit your unusual vehicle needs. You can call him at (609) 530-1000 or visit his website.
willyuphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyuphere View Post
I know how hard it is to get insurance here, but it’s not impossible. I was able to get a commercial policy for private use from Progressive, after getting my conversion titled as an RV and showing them photos of my running water, bed, bathroom and kitchen. It cost me about $500 a year. Try contacting Gonzalez and Company Insurance Agency (201) 869-6409 or visit their website or Chris Cline - GEICO Insurance Agent. He is a local GEICO agent who can provide commercial auto insurance for private use, which may suit your unusual vehicle needs. You can call him at (609) 530-1000 or visit his website.
Thanks for the reply bud!
I tried both offices andChris' Gieco told me no go, even with a Policy under my name already with the company.

The Gonzalez and Co Rep, Chris was helpful, but i was forward to another agent outside the company to help possibly with the insurance quote.

Progressive told me no, and sent me to Farmers which the lady was super rude with no explanation just said "we're not in the market", once asked why not or what can be done?
Def will never look there for any vehicles in the future after that interaction with her.

Thank you though for the Reply!
Old 01-12-2024, 09:51 AM   #4

i have called many "Bus Companies" around the area, either school districts, most are self insured, and others like Wedding Transports, Smaller companies and they all have said if its registered as a "motorhome" that i should attempt to go through process that way as the inside is completely redone and the outside is not "yellow" anymore.

Ive gotten more progress with Commerical People then the usual "Gieco, Progressive, All State Reps"
+ i think NJ might be Kelly Newsomes kryptonite as it seems she cant help here much either.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:46 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Try National Insurance. I got a policy through them for commercial for private use.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:59 AM   #6

Year: 2006
Engine: DT466
Good Morning!

I came to the board for similar answers. I'm hoping to pick up a bus this week and check the boxes for transport. Insurance is a Big Box as well as a temporary tag. I see a response regarding National Insurance and will contact them. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm picking up in FL and Driving to Ga

Thank you in advance
Electra
SkoolE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:49 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Just got off the phone with a guy called Andrew from Roamly (https://www.roamly.com/) and he said that National General will insure skoolies with a plumbed shower AND toilet (must have the plumbed toilet it seems). We have a cassette toilet so we failed there.
I also asked him about just NJ and he said the difficulty with getting skoolie insurance is a nationwide thing he's seeing at the moment—but that NJ is a difficult state at the best of times.
Welshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:26 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 37+1
Progressive is a No-Go for Skoolies

I just moved to SD a therefore needed to shop for new insurance for all my vehicles—Safeco was who I was with prior for my bus, but my rates would have gone from $200+ to $1,400!! I contacted my broker and she found lower rates for all my policies through Progressive. But when the underwriters discovered I had a skoolie they cancelled that policy saying, “we don’t cover school bus conversions.”

So I was on here looking around and read that National General (thanks Ross!) is an option. I contacted them to get a quote and found that they not only cover busses, but also have reasonable rates.So far so good, as they haven’t cancelled my policy yet. Note, I only gave them make, model and VIN. They did not ask for any more info than that and I didn’t offer up that it is just a gutted bus at this point.
Mystkmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:57 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Progressive retail will not do skoolies. you need to contact progressive - COMMERCIAL dept. They were doing "commercial for private use" coverage but you need to make sure that the radius (mileage) is not limited to something like 100 miles.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 01:18 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 37+1
Progressive Commercial Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Progressive retail will not do skoolies. you need to contact progressive - COMMERCIAL dept. They were doing "commercial for private use" coverage but you need to make sure that the radius (mileage) is not limited to something like 100 miles.
This is news to me. Thanks for the info! I will have to check prices to compare with what I have.
Mystkmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 06:24 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
When I contacted (and used) Progressive Commercial for my bus, they seemed pretty adamant (to my recollection) about it not being converted - i.e., they don't do conversions either. They specifically asked what I was using it for (storage at this point) and I believe I had a 50 mile or so radius for driving...something like that. I kept Progressive through the conversion, and as I was finishing, switched to State Farm, who insured it as a MH (with pictures to support).

Good Sam (which I believe goes through National General) would insure the converted bus, but in the end I decided to go through a local agent...
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:12 AM   #12

Year: 2006
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtdog View Post
When I contacted (and used) Progressive Commercial for my bus, they seemed pretty adamant (to my recollection) about it not being converted - i.e., they don't do conversions either. They specifically asked what I was using it for (storage at this point) and I believe I had a 50 mile or so radius for driving...something like that. I kept Progressive through the conversion, and as I was finishing, switched to State Farm, which insured it as a MH (with pictures to support).

Good Sam (which I believe goes through National General) would insure the converted bus, but in the end I decided to go through a local agent...

Thank you this is great information.... I like the storage usage
SkoolE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, insurance companies, insurance coverage, insurance issues