Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #1

“Nomad” license/registration

Howdy all!
Just signed up though I’ve been a lurker for a while. Information here is so valuable! Thanks for everyone’s expertise!
We are selling our house and moving into the skoolie we are almost finished converting in the next month or so. We do not want to use family’s addresses for license/registration/etc. Any suggestions about getting nomad licensing? Someone said South Dakota is relatively easy. Wasn’t sure about anyone else’s experience.
TIA!!

Notanormalfieldtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
South Dakota was a piece of cake, it was pretty effortless. We only had to spend a night there to get domicile. We used Your Best Address for a mailing service and to walk us through vehicle registrations and whatnot. There are a couple similar companies that provide these services. Insurance wasn't so easy, we ended up getting Progressive Commercial for Personal Use which is liability only. Nice thing about SD is there's no annual vehicle inspection and no income taxes to file.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
South Dakota was a piece of cake, it was pretty effortless. We only had to spend a night there to get domicile. We used Your Best Address for a mailing service and to walk us through vehicle registrations and whatnot. There are a couple similar companies that provide these services. Insurance wasn't so easy, we ended up getting Progressive Commercial for Personal Use which is liability only. Nice thing about SD is there's no annual vehicle inspection and no income taxes to file.
Thanks, Drew!! Glad to hear from someone who has done this. Good to know about Progressive. We were thinking of using Good Sam Insurance. We are currently on Erie, but I don’t think they operate in SD. I think we are going to stop in SD and get this all sorted out on our was West in December heading to Skooliepalooza. Would be great to have this all squared away. Thanks again! Happy travels!
Old 08-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
GS is national General. They don’t allow full timers. 6 months max a year. You’ll need to provide an address for an immovable residence. Also photos of the bus. No decks, racks, wood stoves. Also it will need to be converted, have bed, toilet, stove, sink, all permanently installed.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
GS is national General. They don’t allow full timers. 6 months max a year. You’ll need to provide an address for an immovable residence. Also photos of the bus. No decks, racks, wood stoves. Also it will need to be converted, have bed, toilet, stove, sink, all permanently installed.

Yeah, I neglected to mention that the biggest hitch with insurance was because we were full-timers in a converted bus (as opposed to a motor home). I'd recommend using a relative's address if possible, it'll make it smoother. The domicile process itself was easy, the insurance process was a panic inducing nightmare.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Wow... didn’t know that. Thanks!! That really stinks. We have a deck and a wood stove
Old 08-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #8

Huh, well... the search continues then. I wonder if I could use family’s address for the insurance but use the SD domicile address for legal paperwork such as drivers licensing.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
UPS Store will give you a mail box with a physical street address.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanormalfieldtrip View Post
We have a deck and a wood stove
We do too. We were able to get liability through Progressive Commercial. Both in Illinois and in SD. I've heard they're cancelling policies but we're still insured, maybe we're grandfathered in or something though.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
We do too. We were able to get liability through Progressive Commercial. Both in Illinois and in SD. I've heard they're cancelling policies but we're still insured, maybe we're grandfathered in or something though.
Or maybe they will let you know you have no coverage when you file a claim. It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission doesn't fly with insurance companies.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Or maybe they will let you know you have no coverage when you file a claim. It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission doesn't fly with insurance companies.
Yeah, could be they cancel us if we file a claim. Nobody ever told us we couldn't have a deck or a stove. We enjoy the hell out of using our bus and haven't had to file a claim yet. More than anything I was worried about navigating gas stations and traffic but that's become second nature. We've got the slip of paper to show the fuzz, which is the more likely scenario so at least we're covered there.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Many financial institutions have database filters that disallow using most mail forwarding services as your legal domicile address.

Read the thread I linked to for the most reliable solutions
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, could be they cancel us if we file a claim. Nobody ever told us we couldn't have a deck or a stove. We enjoy the hell out of using our bus and haven't had to file a claim yet. More than anything I was worried about navigating gas stations and traffic but that's become second nature. We've got the slip of paper to show the fuzz, which is the more likely scenario so at least we're covered there.
Ya, you'll be good with LEO, but remember the insurance company always looks for a way to not pay. Did you read the fine print on your policy, no one ever does till it's too late.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Read the thread I linked to for the most reliable solutions
Thanks, john61ct!
We are shying away from using F&F as much as possible. There would be too much toxic “you can’t do this without me” cr@p. I’m considering using America’s Mailbox. They seam to have their act together (even have an in-house insurance agent to find vehicle insurance and a campground so you can prove the address is “garage-able”!). I’m calling them this week to see what steps I can take ahead of time to get everything moving paperwork-wise and hopefully get answers to questions regarding address use for financial institutions. I appreciate your insight in that regard and will make sure they answer all my questions before I start signing stuff ;)
Old 08-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Did you read the fine print on your policy, no one ever does till it's too late.
Yup, I'm a stickler for that. I always read the fine print.