Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
North Cackalacky

So, either my Google is broken or North Carolina is difficult as usual. I'm guessing it's the latter, but I'm hoping someone here can help.

I know somewhere there is a form to change the vehicle body type from SB to MH (or house car or whatever stupid terminology this state uses.) I've been able to find the form for pretty much every other state in America, but North Carolina evades me. I also only have access to Internet on my phone (Samsung Galaxy note II) which has done me pretty well so far, but I know sometimes an actual computer helps.

Has anyone by chance come across this form or what it's called?

My plan is to take the title, bill of sale, this magical form, and some pictures. I know they're going to tell me that it needs to be inspected, to which i will respond with the fact that I can't take it to get inspected without plates, so... Take my money and give me plates! I already know no one there knows what the hell I'm talking about because we were there the other day doing an instant title for a trailer and the lady I asked was just like "uhhhh....I think you'd need some kind of inspection I think, but I can ask my supervisor if you want." We were in a hurry so I declined. I'll be going back to that same DMV after I try the one out here in the sticks.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: North Cackalacky

found this, nc definitions...doesn't match name in page tho'

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

NORTH CAROLINA

Definitions

Antique Automobile. A motor vehicle that meets all of the following conditions:

(1) It is registered with the Division of Motor Vehicles and has an historic vehicle special license

plate under G.S. 20-79.4.

(2) It is maintained primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other public

interest functions.

(3) It is used only occasionally for other purposes.

(4) It is owned by an individual.

(5) It is used by the owner for a purpose other than the production of income and is not used in

connection with a business.

Reconstructed Vehicle. A motor vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder that has been

materially altered from original construction due to removal, addition or substitution of new or used

essential parts; and includes glider kits and custom assembled vehicles.

Specially Constructed Vehicles. Motor vehicles required to be registered under this Chapter and that

fit within one of the following categories:

Replica vehicle. A vehicle, excluding motorcycles, that when assembled replicates an earlier year,

make, and model vehicle.

Street rod vehicle. A vehicle, excluding motorcycles, manufactured prior to 1949 that has been

materially altered or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials.

Custom-built vehicle. A vehicle, including motorcycles, reconstructed or assembled by a

nonmanufacturer from new or used parts that has an exterior that does not replicate or resemble

any other manufactured vehicle. This category also includes any motorcycle that was originally sold

unassembled and manufactured from a kit or that has been materially altered or that has a body

constructed from nonoriginal materials.

the google search for "north Carolina change of body types" shows a link http://WWW.bipac.net/semaga/tagtitletoolbox_NC.pdf

it says:
A motor vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder that has been ... materially altered or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials. ... From North Carolina Department of Transportation – Division of Motor Vehicles: .... (f) If a vehicle owner desires a vehicle title classification change, he or she may, upon ...

when I clicked the link it gave me what is above, weird

more info:

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/vehicles/

best guess is you need to have it examined and photographed by a Motor Vehicle inspector

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/replacement/ here mentions title change due to "significant vehicle modification"

The NC web site sucks.....may have to go down in person and waste a day at DMV
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks Bansil! I pretty much have all that stuff (the the requirements for a MH) but the form doesn't seem to exist. Looks like it'll be a trip to the most fun place on earth... The DMV!

I have to buy a car first however :/

Old 12-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I was told about this form and that form and this list of requirments....when it came down to it, TN didn't have any of that
Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Skoolie

So it turns out in NC, you can have a state inspector come to your house - for FREE - have your bus inspected, get a piece of paper (the body style change form), and take that to the Dmv with your title/bill of sale and get new plates.

Much easier than I anticipated. When registering our new truck I found the one lady that actually knew what the hell I was talking about. Apparently the trick with the inspector is they're only open/available between 8:30 and 10:30am so they can be tricky to schedule.

I'll post the $$$ details when I have em!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

congrates!

a lot of time it's easier than the paper pushers want it to be