Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Not so good at Good Sam Insurance

We're with Good Sam and really had no problem getting her insured. Our title now says Motorhome and my insurance card says bus conversion. Did all of this and the seats were still in the bus. Just DON"T say yours "is a work in progress". The only problem I had with Good Sam was when they say your payment needs to be in their office by midnight on such & such a date ---it had better be there or it will get cancelled. My payment took less than a day more to get to them and I ended up having to pay a $15 late fee and go thru the reinstatement process. Note to self----send out check at least a week before due. Not worth the hassle.

It is just so strange how many stories and situations occur about the same issue. Sure would be nice to have everything in writing and all worked out before you start your dealings. Fingers crossed for you.

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Not so good at Good Sam Insurance

I am going to borrow a few pics to take and get my cus retitled as a MH and hopefully that will get me past the bs.

I know National General will want some pics. If you didn't get asked to send them consider yourself lucky.

I always seem to shake my head at how some people get by with no issues and a different person contacts the same company and gets hammered? I guess it makes the journey interesting.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #23
Almost There

Yeah tell me about getting pissed
Two Progressive cancellations later one for 470 something dollars a month for $270 policy only to come to find out nobody going insure converted schoolbus and I put the get it done yesterday on to get a cheaper policy only
to come to find out no one will Cover a converted School bus stuck between a hard place and a hard place
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
I am going to borrow a few pics to take and get my cus retitled as a MH and hopefully that will get me past the bs.

I know National General will want some pics. If you didn't get asked to send them consider yourself lucky.

I always seem to shake my head at how some people get by with no issues and a different person contacts the same company and gets hammered? I guess it makes the journey interesting.
They now send someone out to personally inspect. Fudging the pics will only make one more un-insurable.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #25
Almost There

I need answers how do other people get their School bus conversions insured
As now I'm in nomans land before I could get commercial insurance for the bus
Now that's it's converted nobody will touch it at all
Stuck between a hard place and a hard place
Old 06-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #26
Almost There

But oh wait
No one here knows **** anyway
As nothing anyone has said pans out so far except
You will get canceled boy what help this group is
Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #27
Bus Geek

I did the insurance thing BEFORE I bought the bus, converted it, or drove it.
Sorry you're having a rough time of it, but your attitude is likely not helping you achieve your goals.
I talked to insurance companies for weeks. They wouldn't cover a converted bus, so I insured it with a commercial policy. When the conversion is all done, I'll shop around and find an rv policy BEFORE I cancel the commercial policy.

Have you tried getting a commercial policy through a local agent and NOT telling corporate that you've done any conversion?
Try it when you're in a really good mood sometime.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
You are gonna find it varies tremendously state to state as well as company to company. Even office to office. All you can really do is shop around in your area and hope for the best.

Talk to other owners in your own area. They are the only ones that can sort out the nonsense based on real world experience that might apply to you.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #29

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short bus dweller View Post
But oh wait
No one here knows **** anyway
As nothing anyone has said pans out so far except

Maybe you can't get insurance because of your attitude. If we don't know anything, maybe you should take your bus and find a better school bus site. It seems like you are wasting your time here dealing with a bunch of idiots that have insurance and are trying to help you and you're so smart...and wait...here it comes...without insurance.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #30
Almost There

Yes I have a commercial policy but now that it's converted it's an entity nobody wants to cover so technically speaking it's covered by the commercial policy which they would cancel if they know it was converted
Wish I never got involved in this bs
School buses are built so much stronger than any RV
So now since I've done everything they ask you to do to converted to a motorhome and now it's uninsurable go figure oh and you want me to have a good attitude
So what do I do it's converter no longer a school bus
( that they will insure). You say when you get it converted you're going to go buy a policy who will write that you're talking about
No one is writing coverage for converted schoolbuses and if they are please tell me who is that really a lot to ask who is writing these policies
Old 06-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #31
Almost There

Any way it worked you are now responding to me see you little bit have a really nice guy
Old 06-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #32
Almost There

Oh craz I got some thing for you to eat

Micky dees lol
come on lighten up
Thicken up that skin
Old 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #33
Almost There

Besides I'm a peacock you got a let me fly
Good one lol
Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #34

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
The people here are only trying to help you. Don't take your frustration out on them. There are 50 states and the regulations and insurance coverage is different in each of the 50 states. Progressive cancelled my RV policy. I called them and told them exactly what I had and they gave me a commercial policy. Now I have insurance at 3 times the cost but I have insurance. I just got a cancellation on a different policy for another skoolie. I will deal with that one also.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #35
Almost There

Can't you see
Old 06-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #36
Bus Geek

To me, insurance is only good for two things-
Taking my money.
Giving me a piece of paper making me legal to drive. This is all I pay them for or care about as far as having insurance is concerned.
If you have a tag and an insurance policy, I don't see what the problem is.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #37
Almost There

Yes I get that but how are
Old 06-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #38
Almost There

I want to be legal
Old 06-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #39
Bus Geek

I understand the frustration first hand.
Had a 1985 Thomas given to me in 2004. I called my insurance co, went to the tag office and drove it home. I got into a mild fender bender in it in rush hour downtown Orlando traffic (on a firday too) and USAA promptly sicked their legal dept on me and totally denied me any coverage. "take us to court if you don't like it" was pretty much their attitude. I called around trying to find another carrier and NO ONE would give me a policy. Months were spent looking and calling everywhere. I started to get code letters from the city and with no ins, no tag (expired), and no way to help the situation I sadly had to give it away for the first person with cash in hand who could get it out of my yard. i got 500. Had to pay nearly 5 grand in a lawsuit for the fender bender with the "rare" "classic" 1984 land cruiser, and had to pay it back in installments for a year and eat ramen noodles almost exclusively.
To me the insurance is only good for getting me the tag legally.
Frustration? Yeah, buses are VERY good and inducing massive amounts of that.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #40
Almost There

Cool and I feel our pain
But what are all the other skoolies
Owners doing how are they getting coverage legal legitimate coverage so I don't need to fight the legal department if something was to happen
Who is writing Insurance for converted school bus nobody is seems to be the answer