Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

NY Preparing to Purchase HELP

I have been searching for the perfect bus to purchase, Im located near nyc and am willing to go a few hundred miles. That said, I at one point had my mind made up on a Flat Nose International with a DT466. Plan is to make a camper/van rv. Less than 15 seats.

I love the flat nose look however will consider other options, I want atleast 6ft interior and the DT466 seems to be the best engine bc Ill be making a trip to Michigan from NY this summer.

Ive found a few 2000/2001 internationals close by with DT466 they're in great shape and Ive even found a broker to inure with progressive commercial (private use)
What I can't figure out is if I will actually need a CDL to drive the International Flat nose (no seats), its GRVW is 30,000 lbs. Ive read up on others successfully registering for under 26,000 lbs and not having issues but will I have problems if I get pulled over by DOT?

Ideally I would swap for a mid sized bus, 6ft interior height and under 26,000 just to be safe and be sure i won't have issues driving across the country. I understand things are different in every state though I just can't get a straight answer. I am considering getting my CDL but Ideally I would be able to ask friends to share some driving on long trips. And advice is appreciated. Thanks!

kalcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalcypher View Post
I have been searching for the perfect bus to purchase, Im located near nyc and am willing to go a few hundred miles. That said, I at one point had my mind made up on a Flat Nose International with a DT466. Plan is to make a camper/van rv. Less than 15 seats.

I love the flat nose look however will consider other options, I want atleast 6ft interior and the DT466 seems to be the best engine bc Ill be making a trip to Michigan from NY this summer.

Ive found a few 2000/2001 internationals close by with DT466 they're in great shape and Ive even found a broker to inure with progressive commercial (private use)
What I can't figure out is if I will actually need a CDL to drive the International Flat nose (no seats), its GRVW is 30,000 lbs. Ive read up on others successfully registering for under 26,000 lbs and not having issues but will I have problems if I get pulled over by DOT?

Ideally I would swap for a mid sized bus, 6ft interior height and under 26,000 just to be safe and be sure i won't have issues driving across the country. I understand things are different in every state though I just can't get a straight answer. I am considering getting my CDL but Ideally I would be able to ask friends to share some driving on long trips. And advice is appreciated. Thanks!
If you get bus or commercial plates you will have to give the DMV a GVWR. Look at your state code. MA says I may register it at any weight, as long as I don't go over that weight or the vehicle manufacturer's max weight.
I registered it at 21k (it's 18 before the conversion) and I will weigh it and adjust after it's done. The maximum weight for my bus is 30k I think.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial, dot, license, new york, registration