Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Leyland
Chassis: Leyland
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 17500, probably kg
NY R Endorsement experience

I went and got my NY R Endorsement Permit today. Process was very easy.

1. Filled out MV-44 and brought it in. You are applying for a "permit" (even if you already have a license), because you want to "change type". In the section labeled "other change" say "Add R Endorsement."

2. Bring mv44 to the DMV where they will have no idea what to do

3. Patiently wait while they talk to people into they figure out how to issue you the permit. they'll eventually have you retake the eye test and send you to pay. It costs $10.

4. The permit entitles you to: a. drive an overweight (>26000 lbs GVWR) RV with a licensed driver for that size vehicle, either another class D with and R endorsement, or a class B or A CDL, and b. It entitles you to two road tests.

5. I haven't done this, but the last step is to head to your road test, you can do this online once you have your permit. No drivers Ed necessary. Just schedule at the nearest RV test site, 74 miles away for me... In Ithaca. Good thing I love visiting Ithaca... You must bring your licensed driver. Their license will be checked.

The test is identical to your class D test. You do not need to do anything special for Air brakes (confirmed at the DMV today), but your test admin might ask questions anyway. It's a good idea to learn to do the test anyway I plan on it.

Crisfole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Why did you need an "R" endorsement? Doesn't it only apply to RV's over 26k lbs, regardless of brake system,

I just realized your 17500 was kilo's.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Yeah, the bus is a double decker!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #4

@Crisfole - Did you ever go for the road test? I'm in WNY just startng on the path trying to figure out how to take a road test in a vehicle over 26K if I can't legally drive it from another state until I have the R endorsement. I would be interested to hear your experiences with the test if you ended up taking it.

Thanks!
iken is offline   Reply With Quote