Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
NYC Street Parking Regulations and a Bus

Anybody park in NYC? I need to park my 22' bus on the street and am trying to figure out the best registration/insurance.

I am trying to decide whether to register/insure my bus as an RV or commercial vehicle for private use.

No need to tell me how difficult it will be to street park, I understand that part already.

I know there's a law in NYC that you have to move an RV every 24 hours. That would suck, but I wonder if it's enforced.

If I make it a commercial vehicle for private use, will I not be able to park in some residential areas?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.46.46 AM.png  

awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I don't know about NYC but in the city I live in in Ca. any commercial vehicle over 20' long or over 10,000 pounds GVW may not be parked on any residential street ever except when actively loading or unloading.

An RV may be parked on the street for not more than 72 hours while loading prior to an out of town camp out or for the same time period and conditions upon return from out of town camping. We are not allowed to park a camper overnight in our own driveway--it must be either in a garage or in the rear yard behind a 6' tall fence.

I'm sure the city will be glad to tell you exactly what you can't do!
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Very much depends on the precinct, even within 500 yards can make a huge difference.

Commercial would be a huge disadvantage.

And if strictly enforced, can mean be towed like 10min after the time arrives, huge profits made by the outfits with the city contracts

can cost $800+ to get it back, plus the time and high cost of heading out to the boonies where they've got their lots.

I would go to your desired area(s) without the bus and do your research first, a cheap private yard (under $200 a day) may well be the secure option - don't forget risk of breakins

Or best of all head an hour up Metro North to find a $40/day lot and take the train into town
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
due to covid some places with surface lots (I realize there arent many in the city) may be closed and willing to rent you space.. some of the hotels we work wioth in cities are doing anythinbg they can to help and get a little revenue. esp if you can be in the fringe a bit away from manhattan proper.. its worth a trip around to see who has fairly empty surface lots on weekdays and then give them a contact.. you might just hit a goldmine for an inexpensive place to park.. , granted this may dry up as things re-open, however its a place ot get started while you continue to look for more permanent solution.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I had experience just like Jack described. I found a workaround/fix......

I moved......

In my current location I have had two unconverted buses in my front yard for over a year. I sold one then started converting the other one in my driveway. Including a roof raise and paint.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
For some of us not an option. I need to live near a city where I can have high speed internet that is not wireless only and that is not satellite ...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Poor neighborhoods are often less HOA style fascistic.

Personally my preference is ex-industrial wasteland for workshop space, discreetly camping out if "not allowed" to inhabit
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote