Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #1

Year: 89
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
Ohio Insurance and Registration

Hello all,

I am in the process of buying a 36 pass GMC 366. I live in Ohio and have been getting different info from the state patrol. (they don't seem to want to help when I tell them that I want to make it RV tags lol) I was just wondering if anyone has any pointers for me or knows of good insurance here in Ohio? I'm 25 will this hurt me as well? Thanks for the help in advance and the asking of previous questions if I make them arise again.

nickd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #2

Year: 89
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
Re: Ohio Insurance and Registration

Does anyone have any advice for me? I would love any help from anyone living in Ohio...
nickd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd10
Does anyone have any advice for me? I would love any help from anyone living in Ohio...
I don't know of any skoolie members from Ohio on here... The laws are different from state to state. I ran into the same thing you're going through when I got my bus, seemed every person I talked to had a different answer for me. Try searching the laws online, maybe the DMV website. Look for something that applies to you and print it off and bring it with you to the sectary of state.

Michigan (where I live) is a very easy state to register/insure a skoolie, other states have a lot of hoops to jump through.

Good luck
Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Almost There

Not sure if you still need this or not....I havent been on here in a while.

If you call the BMV they will tell you the form you need to change the title. When you go to the title office, they will look at you odd and tell you that you have the wrong form. Just go to a title office and get the form to change the title to a motorhome when you are ready to do it. Bring the title with you and do it in the office. It will ask you a few questions about what is installed to be legal (oven vs. stove and another question I forget). Basically, they dont need to inspect, you just affirm that you did it. You need to have eating, sleeping, and cooking facilities permanently installed. When mine was done, it had a futon, plastic table from Wal-Mart and 1 plastic chair, and a microwave (it is an "oven").

Remember, in Ohio it cant be School Bus Yellow.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1961
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: SDM 4501
Engine: 6V71
Rated Cap: 45

Just saw your posting. I am 28 years old and live in Columbus, Ohio. Due to the age of my coach, I was able to register it as a historical vehicle - which cost me $25.00, and negates the need for a CDL; this is what I was told at the BMV, anyhow. Also, as long as you are not using it commercially, it is considered a private coach - and to my undersatanding, negates the need for a CDL, as well. As far as insurance goes, mine is insured through Progressive, and has full Motorhome coverage - all for around $500.00 a year.
Zcommanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
Almost There

Does that carry over to other states?
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote