Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
It's quite simple. Ohio looks at semis and truck drivers as second class transportation and second class citizens without any due process.

55 mph for semis ONLY, pull-overs for no reason except to harass (happened to me every time I drove a semi there, despite the fact I run clean and legal - they could never ticket me - believe me they tried - quickest pull-over was TWO hours)

Who wants to work in a work environment like that? Drive slow (pay cut), no justification pull-overs (big pay cut), open to being fined for ANYTHING they can find (bigger pay cut).

Ohio is very anti-trucker anti-interstate commerce state. So, anytime I can avoid a hostile workplace, I avoid it. That will also include driving my bus there unless I'm visiting fellow skoolies/clanmates. No offense to anyone living there, but it's just my old trucker radar that goes off on the staties. When your logo is a tire with wings on it that screams to me that the law enforcement sees itself above the law, not representing it. VERY poor choice of logos, very poor PR. And from my experiences with Ohio State troopers, it's sadly well deserved. Mind you, my brother-in-law AND cousin-in-law are both state troopers. They also concur with my observations. So there is actual proof-in-the-pudding if fellow LEOs are also seeing the same thing.... Well....... I prefer to be safe than sorry. So, I will travel around Ohio when I'm going east - unless I'm going to see Christopher, Sam, Paul, or any other skoolie or clanmate.

Hope this helps with your understanding....

M
the trucker speed limit was lifted a number of years ago in Ohio... it was shown, (like any common sense wouldve shown) that the slow 55 MPH trucks were MORE of a hazard than trucks running with the traffic.. ive heard DOT stops do suck here.. though ive never so much as been noticed by a DOT trooper.. in fact a few weeks ago, a fellow skoolie and I met in a rest area so I could repgrogram his bus computer.. we both pulled in about the same time and there were 2 DOT'S sitting idle in the rest area and neither of them even bothered to pull up and and ask questions..

if nothing else though Ohio is PITA as far as construction in the cities. and traffic.. while we dont have massive traffic jams like houston or NYC, we do have a lot of cities that can jam up a trucker on the major routes.. I-75 you hit cinci, dayton, Lima, toledo in a 150 mile span.. I-71 you hit cincy, columbus, cleveland, in 240 mile span.. and almost always one or more are torn to pieces..

regardless of DOT just the construction and traffic (and deer) are enough reason to avoid trucking through Ohio...

and as noted you probably wont get to run 10 over without getting a ticket.. staties will give you 5 maybe..
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

My bus was purchased in Albany Ohio. I did my title work in Columbus at a contracted office.

I merely suggested maybe titling it as an rv to save me a future trip and the clerk took care of it without question.

Maybe worth another try at another location. It was of no consequence to her whether it was an rv or bus, and it was probably one extra mouse click.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by oredigger View Post
Yeah, permanent is relative. I figured it is an rv and not a bus to me and I could play dumb if anyone asked. No inspection or pictures needed. The first BMV I went to, wouldn't even consider the affidavit. She was ridiculous. Just had to find someone reasonable.
Had that happen in Tennessee years ago. Went to smog check my 78 Buick Regal. The kid stuck the Go-No Go stick in the fuel filler and decided then and there that the filler had been modified and as such, I had to have the fuel tank and catalytic converter replaced. I told him that this vehicle had been a California car for most of its life and the filler had NEVER been modified, that it was jut old. Kid was insistent. So, I took it to another station. An older inspector took one look at it and told me that the car was just old.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the trucker speed limit was lifted a number of years ago in Ohio... it was shown, (like any common sense wouldve shown) that the slow 55 MPH trucks were MORE of a hazard than trucks running with the traffic.. ive heard DOT stops do suck here.. though ive never so much as been noticed by a DOT trooper.. in fact a few weeks ago, a fellow skoolie and I met in a rest area so I could repgrogram his bus computer.. we both pulled in about the same time and there were 2 DOT'S sitting idle in the rest area and neither of them even bothered to pull up and and ask questions..

if nothing else though Ohio is PITA as far as construction in the cities. and traffic.. while we dont have massive traffic jams like houston or NYC, we do have a lot of cities that can jam up a trucker on the major routes.. I-75 you hit cinci, dayton, Lima, toledo in a 150 mile span.. I-71 you hit cincy, columbus, cleveland, in 240 mile span.. and almost always one or more are torn to pieces..

regardless of DOT just the construction and traffic (and deer) are enough reason to avoid trucking through Ohio...

and as noted you probably wont get to run 10 over without getting a ticket.. staties will give you 5 maybe..
-Christopher
Christopher,

Well, that shows you how often I run through Ohio. When I say I avoid Ohio like the plague, I guess what I said in my previous post proves that out...... LOL Good to know. Thanks Christopher!

M
Old 11-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

This is an older post but from a person living in Ohio I'm 100% agreeing with avoiding at all costs! We have some of the worst drivers, worst roads, worst cops ever. I've traveled a bit here and there and never had the problems/construction/pot holes that we have here.
ToBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #26
Bus Geek

apparently you've not driven the I-10 in lousiana and east texas.. or I-80 in eastern iowa.. the cops in indiana rival ours..

alas we do have some crappy pot holes and in a school bus you'll feel every last one of them.. but ive run my bus all over this country and have found some stretches of road where I just hope my bus still has MOST of its parts when i get to the other end..

the drivers here are on par with the drivers in FLorida. which means yep pretty rank!.

but I'll take it over neing in california any day - No smog check here!!! means I can custom build anything with wheels and it gets registered!

-Christopher
Old 11-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFree View Post
This is an older post but from a person living in Ohio I'm 100% agreeing with avoiding at all costs! We have some of the worst drivers, worst roads, worst cops ever. I've traveled a bit here and there and never had the problems/construction/pot holes that we have here.
I just *love* how there are towns up there where you can ONLY make right hand turns.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I just *love* how there are towns up there where you can ONLY make right hand turns.

yeah and in downtown colum,bus you go through in the wrong hours and you cant make any turns from the main drag and you cant park either.. so they want you in and out lol..

Jersey though... thats the worst place to drive a bus... low bridges everywhere and Jug-handles..
-Christopher
Old 11-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Every trucker I've ever known has warned me about NJ.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFree View Post
I don't really have anything good to say about Ohio's roads and cops, though I've never been hassled by anyone except my town's cops (once for stopping for a second or two after getting out of my driveway to shift out of 4x4, and once because my disappointment at going to a shop at my scheduled time and finding out that they actually couldn't do what the secretary told me they could do was communicated to the cops as me being an "irate customer"). This state does not get plowed well, and my local town is infamously bad at clearing snow.

But if you think Ohio is bad, you've never traveled I-86 in western New York. That road is ALWAYS like the surface of the moon after the winter, no matter how many times they patch and repave. I swear they just had to tear up and repave a section that they tore up and repaved three years ago.

And, as later posters said, you haven't seen bad roads until you've been in New Jersey.

Quote:
apparently you've not driven the I-10 in lousiana and east texas.. or I-80 in eastern iowa.. the cops in indiana rival ours..

alas we do have some crappy pot holes and in a school bus you'll feel every last one of them.. but ive run my bus all over this country and have found some stretches of road where I just hope my bus still has MOST of its parts when i get to the other end..

the drivers here are on par with the drivers in FLorida. which means yep pretty rank!.

but I'll take it over neing in california any day - No smog check here!!! means I can custom build anything with wheels and it gets registered!
Yeah, Indiana staties are all over the interstates like flies on poop. I guess that's because the state uses the police force to generate money for its coffers. Traffic tickets do that. Busting drug rings or gangs does not.

Quote:
yeah and in downtown colum,bus you go through in the wrong hours and you cant make any turns from the main drag and you cant park either.. so they want you in and out lol..

Jersey though... thats the worst place to drive a bus... low bridges everywhere and Jug-handles..
-Christopher
I lived in Jersey for 25 years. I will never forget coming home from living 9 months in Oregon. I made it across the country with no problem until getting into Jersey. By the time I got to my parents' house, my exhaust pipes were trashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Every trucker I've ever known has warned me about NJ.
Jersey is unimaginably terrible for truckers. I-80 and I-78 have no "real" truck stops within 60 miles of NYC. Trucks can't use the northernmost half of the Garden State Parkway. (That means that if you break down in that section, you have to get dragged off the Parkway by a special company given permission to operate big trucks on that stretch called "Parkway Towing", and then get hooked up to a different tow truck so you can get to the shop! Last I knew, Parkway Towing wouldn't take you to a shop - they just take you off the Parkway!) The NJ Turnpike has some of the highest tolls you'll ever find on a road. And the traffic is terrible!

This is why trucking companies advertise to get drivers by saying "No forced Northeast"!
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote