Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2023, 11:57 AM   #21
New Member
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 1
Getting you for not having CDL

Originally Posted by michellep View Post
so as far as the body change when i talk to them a few years ago. they said have to have bath room kitchen bedroom living room holding tanks and a way to charge batteries other than the motor and have to have at least 4 of the five you are porbly going to have to do more than a hot plate i am fixing on doing my paper work for the body change on myine. also as long as it is still titled as a school bus you will be requraide to have a class b cdl with air braks school bus and pasanger endorments.
i got a job at a school system that would pay to train me to get my licens and if your just driving in ok and get the tidal changed to rv you will be ok to drive in oklahoma with a regurar class d but i heird that other stat will requaire a cdl and will get you as you dirve in to there state and make you have to pay some one to drive or will tow it if you dont have the cdl.
If they charge you for anything other than a traffic infraction if you're state doesn't require you to have a CDL to drive your converted bus then they would be in violation of your right to travel as each state has to recognize another state's license requirements to drive the vehicle your legally allowed to drive in your home state, Now that's not to say that they won't try and get you for driving a vehicle that they consider you to have a CDL, but according to federal law unless its for commercial use and weighs more than $26, 000 and one pound over GVWR then your not required to have a cdl to drive it, let's say that you bought a truck 18 wheeler without planning on pulling a trailer as long as its GVWR is less than 26,001 pounds and its non commercial meaning its for private use only you do not need a CDL to operate it the only thing that might be required as here in Oklahoma is a airbrake indorcement on your regular license. Now as for what law enforcement might do here in Oklahoma as for the bus being private and not an RV is another thing but you would think the same thing applies to a bus that's not for hire and is a private vehicle for personal use that the vehicle rating is under 26,001 pounds would only require a airbrake indorcement if it had airbrakes and wouldn't require a CDL to drive it. Also your not going to have more than 16 people in it including the driver according to the rules but if you don't have the seats in it for more than 16 people then I'd say how would you be able to brake the law if you can't carry over 16 people in the bus and it's marked non commercial not for hire on the sides until you complete your conversion. But as with any advice on here do your own research, but that's my understanding as a person with a logical mind and 16 years as a truck driver.

Firefox is offline   Reply With Quote

bus conversion, oklahoma, requirements, school bus, title

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.