Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2007, 10:09 PM   #1

Year: 47
Coachwork: dodge
Chassis: job rated
Engine: 230 flathead 6 cylinders
old five lug 20" 2 piece split rims

I am new here and I have a 1947 Dodge and it has 20" ,5 lug hole 2 piece split rims. These rims are really heavy rivitted steel. I have been told I should keep them because they are so solidly built,but I hear all the split rim horror stories (widow makers). The four rear tires are brand new bias ply tires. All they sell around here in southern California as far as bias ply tires for split rims are tires made in The People's Republic of China. It is not hard at all finding a shop to work on the split rims. This is Fontana, "truck town" Calif. However, to start with,two new tubless bias ply tires on tubeless rims in front would be nice.They could be balanced. Are there any truck or bus wheels that will interchange or will I have to have the rims manufactured? Stockton wheels will make them at $175 per steel wheel. Not cheap. Top speed on this old bus is about 45 mph. with the flathead six cylinder engine and 4 speed non syncro transmission anyway.What do you guys think? Thanks

mrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: old five lug 20" 2 piece split rims

Put some new tires on it and the old bus will outlast you, what do you care then? The old splits will last forever because they were made with virgin american steel. Someday you won't be able to get that size tires then your grandkids can worry about changing them over to something else. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote