Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter (Cavalier)
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 63
OR motorhome title, registration, and insurance during COVID times

Wow!

Now is the time to re-title a bus as a motorhome in Oregon. All offices are appointment only, but they are not accepting appointments for titling and registration.

I called the OR DMV (45 minutes of terrible hold music) and they said the inspection is not necessary, just pay my fees and send some forms in the mail. They asked me if the bus has sleeping and cooking facilities permanently installed I said "yes" and said they will take my word on it.

Insurance was easy too. Called USAA and told them I would like to insure my International S1800 "Truck" that is in the process of being converted to a motorhome and they said ok $30/ month for liability.

This took me a total of 1 hour.

Skipoffools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:07 AM   #2
Bus Geek

This crisis is showing up some of the stupidities of our society, common sense would say "why don't we just do it like this all the time?"

Take-away cocktails and liquor deliveries is another

don't sweat the small stuff
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Wish I read this sooner. The Oregon DMV are now doing drive up inspections with no appointments needed. Not to inconvenient but wish I would have gotten past the inspection earlier during the pandemic when they were still closed.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I'm using an Android phone and cannot navigate as well as I could on my laptop.
I love you all here! I have learned so much from everyone on this forum.
First and foremost I wanted to Thank You!
Now, I am at the exciting stage on my 1999 Ford E350 Shuttle Bus Eldorado body ( it's the smallest one I've seen. Three window length and it's the perfect size for my mobile grooming business).
I had a mechanic finally go through it and got my check engine light off. Code 0453 for the fuel pressure sensor. He didn't do anything other than unplug, Clean connectors and inspected wires and plugged back in. Lights off ������
Recharged the Carrier AC unit and front AC unit. Ice cold now! I'm still in unbelief that I actually have both working with no leaks! He did evacuate the system as well.
Anyhow, now I am ready to take through emissions and register it as an RV.

Phoenix Arizona here and would love to get advice on how to go about it.

It's for mobile grooming so it has fresh and grey water tanks set up and plumbed for big dog tub. Has a shurflo 3.5 gpm water pump. 12v dc.
I have a Predator inverter generator 3500 watts ( quite ) for power source. Will be using a power strip plugged into it. I have not done anything with the battery bank or invertors I eventually plan to install. So, the generator will be it until then.

Question is, what else will I need to pass inspection, if I have to have one here in Arizona to register it as RV?

Toilet? Stove?

I would hate to have a black water tank on it. Wondering if a cheap portable with tank type one on Amazon would work.
Can't afford much more. It's been a struggle getting this far with it. But, I'm not going to quit.

I am a single grandma mommy and I am doing it solo ( Glory to God first of course ��).

I can't wait to post pics.

I'm so close! And I will even sleep in it if all hell breaks loose. So I don't mind the added options needed to convert into RV.

Any advice is always appreciated!
Nant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nant View Post
Phoenix Arizona here and would love to get advice on how to go about it.
<snip>
Question is, what else will I need to pass inspection, if I have to have one here in Arizona to register it as RV?
Here's the list of requirements for Arizona. You need any 4 of these things to pass the inspection and magically become an RV/MH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.11.08 PM.png
Views:	4
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	57224
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nant View Post
I'm using an Android phone and cannot navigate as well as I could on my laptop.
The kids would say "hold my beer". Even though they aren't supposed to be drinking beers

Quote:
Now, I am at the exciting stage on my 1999 Ford E350 Shuttle Bus Eldorado body ( it's the smallest one I've seen. Three window length and it's the perfect size for my mobile grooming business).
Very cool! Welcome!

Quote:
It's for mobile grooming so it has fresh and grey water tanks set up and plumbed for big dog tub.
How much water you need for a day of work?

Quote:
I have a Predator inverter generator 3500 watts ( quite ) for power source.
That is an enormous generator you got there! Why did you go so large?
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I have a k-9 forced air dog hair dryer. 18.5 amps. I also use 6 gal. Shop vac.
And I have a 5000 BTU AC unit.

Those are my main energy suckers.

LOL, I was going to build a quiet box for my 7500 Watt Westinghouse Open frame genny but decided to go with the predator inverter generator 3500 what because I am no carpenter and I really will be only using one or two suckers at a time.

I use a 55 gallon fresh water tank and a 4.0 gpm pump.
Nant is offline   Reply With Quote